Recommended speakers and cabs for Blackmore?

kahawe

Which speakers and cabs can you guys recommend for the ENGL Blackmore? I tried it through a 1960 AV and while that cab sounds good with a 6505, I guess the Blackmore is just an overall (much) brighter amp and it just feels totally wrong through the 1960av in standard tuning. Practically none of that nice lower-mids growl, very thin... I have the bogner standard 4x12 high up on the list, also the considerably cheaper ENGL v60 cabs seem to get a lot of love with the Blackmore though I have no idea about the v60s; alternative maybe a diezel v30.

Any other recommendations? I want to keep it versatile but (melodic) metal is one focus.

With the Blackmore I'd try some Greenbacks. Engl does build a 4X12 Greenback loaded cab that should sound great with the Blackmore.

Ressurecting the thread:
Maybe OP has already solved his issue but someone else can find my 2 cents helpful.
I tried Blackmore with both V30`s and V60`s. Both ENGL cabs.
As stated Blackmore is a bright amp and with V30`s just I couldn`t dial out the harshness and somewhat unpleasantly piercing highs. The sound wasn`t bad but I just think that ENGL Pro is not the right cab for it.
With V60`s it was just right since the characteristics of the speaker is different - with more emphasis on lows, a bit less mids and considerably less highs. That goes well with Blackmore.
But I have to say that V60 are not for every ENGL amp - with Powerball II it was just bad. Too muddy.

As far as Greenbacks go - I myself have E520 preamp with hand-made 60W EL34 poweramp which is kinda bright sound. And I tried Marshall 1960TV. Didn`t like it. Way too bright and didn`t have the low-end of my 2x12 ENGL Pro. I don`t know if ENGL cab with Greenbacks would so different.

Really consider the Pro Series ENGL cabs. I tried so many Marshall and Mesa cabs before getting one of the pro 2x12s, amd I wonder why I waited so long. It is not bright, but sweet. Has become my favorite cab not just witj my Savage (supposed to be similar to the RB), but also my Marshall AFD100.

Just a quick update, I went with an ENGL slanted standard 4x12 with V60s and I love it - it just fits the amp absolutely perfectly, no v30 cab can come even remotely close and I tried ENGL's pros and my own fat and smooth Bogner 2x12 but with the v60s it just feels, sounds and plays RIGHT. With v30s I had to turn gain up to 2 or 3 o'clock to get a sort-of nice and fat tone and it was still mostly fizzy, totally ridiculous. As if amp and cab are playing different frequencies or are mismatched somehow. With v60s I turned it all the way down between 10-12 o'clock and get a nice, fat, rich tone with those gorgeous lower-mids. So, yea, definitely no v30s for the Blackie in my opinion. (I might try the greenbacks too some time out of curiosity but I was worried about the power-rating of the cab probably not being enough for peaks from the Blackie.)

Now I want a horizontal 2x12 with v60s but they don't offer that (why not???) and I have a hard time finding whether those speakers really are "celestion v12 60s" and where the heck I can buy them to eventually swap them into a PRO 2x12. Or I tip-over a slant 2x12 standard, they do have that.

kahawe":1kdl1v6n said:
Just a quick update, I went with an ENGL slanted standard 4x12 with V60s and I love it - it just fits the amp absolutely perfectly, no v30 cab can come even remotely close and I tried ENGL's pros and my own fat and smooth Bogner 2x12 but with the v60s it just feels, sounds and plays RIGHT. With v30s I had to turn gain up to 2 or 3 o'clock to get a sort-of nice and fat tone and it was still mostly fizzy, totally ridiculous. As if amp and cab are playing different frequencies or are mismatched somehow. With v60s I turned it all the way down between 10-12 o'clock and get a nice, fat, rich tone with those gorgeous lower-mids. So, yea, definitely no v30s for the Blackie in my opinion. (I might try the greenbacks too some time out of curiosity but I was worried about the power-rating of the cab probably not being enough for peaks from the Blackie.)
I`m glad you found what works for you

kahawe":1kdl1v6n said:
I have a hard time finding whether those speakers really are "celestion v12 60s" and where the heck I can buy them to eventually swap them into a PRO 2x12. Or I tip-over a slant 2x12 standard, they do have that.
I believe V60s are made only for ENGL and they are not available for sale.
So the only way for you is to tip-over 2x12 standard cab (as you have written) or to wait till someone would upgrade the standard cab and would like to get rid of them.
They pop up from time to time on ebay.

This really sucks... worst of all: the 4x12 is 8Ohm Mono but the 2x12 is 16Ohm so I guess there is no way of running both at the same time, I don't think I want to Ohm-mismatch.
Seriously, what are they thinking???

kahawe":3lnxcq4t said:
This really sucks... worst of all: the 4x12 is 8Ohm Mono but the 2x12 is 16Ohm so I guess there is no way of running both at the same time, I don't think I want to Ohm-mismatch.
Seriously, what are they thinking???
They probably use 8 ohm speakers only. They could wire the 4x12 cabs in series/parallel to get an 8 ohm total load. You can't do that with a 2x12. Your choices with two 8 ohm speakers would be series wiring for a 16 ohm load, and parallel wiring for a 4 ohm load.

And no, you don't want to do an ohm mismatch as it's harder on the amp's output tranny and power tubes.

Maybe a stupid question but: any concerns when mixing the existing series/parallel in the 4x12 with a second box with series wiring in the 2x12? Because if not then that's pretty much my only option... tip-over and re-wire the slanted OR get a pro, replace speakers and wire them in series. meh :/

Back