Engl Morse

Jdguitar

What is the story on these amps? I think Morse plays with a great tone and would love to pick up the Engl Morse if I get a chance. Anyone using one?

It's my favorite Engl. Steve Morse is a very eclectic player so he demands not only stellar tone, but uncompromised tone. With the topology, various channel voicings and the mid matrix (best idea EVER ON ANY AMP!) you can pretty much dial in everything from Blues, to classic rock, to progressive metal with the Morse. It has the most beautiful natural, warm woody midrange of any of the Engl's by far. The only other Engl that comes close tonally to my taste is maybe the EL34 SE flagship. But it doesn't have the same openness and feel as the Morse. The Morse Signature is a killer amp all the way around. Not just the best Engl.

narada65":7uwxr6ix said:
It's my favorite Engl. Steve Morse is a very eclectic player so he demands not only stellar tone, but uncompromised tone. With the topology, various channel voicings and the mid matrix (best idea EVER ON ANY AMP!) you can pretty much dial in everything from Blues, to classic rock, to progressive metal with the Morse. It has the most beautiful natural, warm woody midrange of any of the Engl's by far. The only other Engl that comes close tonally to my taste is maybe the EL34 SE flagship. But it doesn't have the same openness and feel as the Morse. The Morse Signature is a killer amp all the way around. Not just the best Engl.

100% accurate.

Hardvalve":2ggxgct4 said:
I would love to play one. Pretty hard to find in the wild.

That's because they sound so great people don't trade them in. I try expensive new amps all the time as a hobby,and have not found anything that can topple the 656. It's gigantic & organic. Or you can dial thin,crunchy. raspy. Or super clean twangy & punchy. It's all there. Anything. You can dial a "Brown"800 or plexi sound in as well as a crushing metal sound.The mid control adjusts different guitars to the awesome sound and more-so feel you are looking for without compromise. If there was a better amp I'd own it. But there's not. Look how many JVM's and 5150 III's there are for sale. Then try to find a 656. People don't want to shake them loose. Once you spend some time with one you will see. By spending time with one I don't mean cranking the gain and flopping the mids left & right, You have to understand how it all works together to really see the magic of these amps. If I was stripped of all but 1 guitar and 1 amp this would be what I'd keep. If it was me all over,I'd buy one new. No need to worry about a loss when selling,you won't want to.

Hardvalve":r9e3dqa5 said:
I would love to play one. Pretty hard to find in the wild.

Where are you located? I’m going to be cycling some of my more rare items through my local music store’s boutique room as part of a promotion and the ENGL Morse will be on the list.

Back