Which Engl for me?

Please allow me to chime in on such a late stage, I only saw the thread now.

I had for years a pre-2012 Savage, could have even be pre-1996, and was not happy at all with it, because I never could dial in the "balls" I was looking for. In my view this amp lacked in high gain mode completely in low end and in clean modus, it had not enough headroom. Fyi I play melodic death metal, and was completely drowned during years by the Diezel VH4 of my bandmate.

I think the issue with my savage was, that it had only 2 power tubes, whereas the actual ones have 4 power tubes. When I played once a newer savage with the 4 power tubes, I found everything that I had missed in the older version (which also had black corners instead of the actual chrome ones).

This may be of some help for somebody...

Cheers

Obiwan":25xjsuft said:
Please allow me to chime in on such a late stage, I only saw the thread now.

I had for years a pre-2012 Savage, could have even be pre-1996, and was not happy at all with it, because I never could dial in the "balls" I was looking for. In my view this amp lacked in high gain mode completely in low end and in clean modus, it had not enough headroom. Fyi I play melodic death metal, and was completely drowned during years by the Diezel VH4 of my bandmate.

I think the issue with my savage was, that it had only 2 power tubes, whereas the actual ones have 4 power tubes. When I played once a newer savage with the 4 power tubes, I found everything that I had missed in the older version (which also had black corners instead of the actual chrome ones).

This may be of some help for somebody...

Cheers

ENGL Savage 120 does not have and has never had 4 power tubes. It has always had 2x 6550/KT88.

ENGL Savage SE had 4x 6L6 and ENGL SE has 4x 6L6 or 4x EL34 (depending on the version)

Aren`t you confused with these models?
Or weren`t you playing ENGL Savage 60 that had 2x EL34?

@sinnersmoon

oh sorry, I looked it up, you are perfectly right!! Also the later savage has only 2 power tubes, I have really a bad memory.

So the difference between both savages is even more astonishing to me. The newer one was really a huge improvement for my personal taste. More headroom and much more balls.

I've got a Fireball if you want it mate. Can't put it in classified yet cause i'm a newbie but hit me up if you are interested :)

Going off memory, I seem to recall liking the Savage SE a lot better than the SE; the Savage SE had a certain throaty rawness, that was still polished (compared to say Marshall and VHT/Fryette).
A few years after getting my Invader 100, I still had some GAS left for the SE; tried it and compared it to the Mille Petrozza sig., the Powerball II (liked it A LOT better than the PBI!) and the Invader 100 (as well as against two Diezels and 2 Soldano's)

Let's just say
-the SE was a bit of a let-down. My buddy -who was in need of a new amp to replace his Blackmore- bought the Invader 100 on the spot.
-The PB II was a huge improvement in organic-ness vs. the PB I. Better cleans too.
-The Soldano's seemed a bit of one-trick pony's, but GAWD, the BEST fuckin' pony for that particular trick! :rock: They're just out of budget for me.
-Loved the Diezel Herbert too. I want to do a lot more classic rock/hard rock tones, but if I was in a thrash/death band only, the Herbert would probably be IT!

Lately, after months of gigging with my EVH 50W, I do have come to find that the Invader is rather smooth, maybe too smooth even.
As it carries quite some emotional value too (bought it together with my dad in '07, who passed away a month later), I have a hard time letting it go, not to mention, it has some functionality that only the Steve Morse would probably be able to replicate (and the Invader II of course), and which I use a lot....
First world problems... :aww:

Back