ENGL Forum Support

Hey fellow gear addicts,

My name is Dennis, ENGL employee and gear addict. We at ENGL thought it might be time to spend more time to support ENGL users around the world, and RT surely is the coolest place to hang out and talk about amps, so here I am... If you guys have any questions around the ENGL universe, let me know, I'll try to help out.

Hi Dennis,
It`s good to have someone here directly from ENGL.
ENGL is infamously known for lack of customer service, so hopefully this is going to improve.

I have a question: what is the tube layout in ENGL Savage Special Edition (E660)?

and another one:
How are power tubes paired both in ENGL Savage SE and Invader 100? Is it 1-2 & 3-4 or 1-4 & 2-3?

Thanks

sinnersmoon":39lu1j65 said:
Hi Dennis,
It`s good to have someone here directly from ENGL.
ENGL is infamously known for lack of customer service, so hopefully this is going to improve.

I have a question: what is the tube layout in ENGL Savage Special Edition (E660)?

and another one:
How are power tubes paired both in ENGL Savage SE and Invader 100? Is it 1-2 & 3-4 or 1-4 & 2-3?

Thanks

Hi Sinnersmoon,

Hope to change that impression. ENGL always was focusing on service, which easy to do in the own country, and pretty difficult in foreign countries with distributors in charge. Most of our distributors are doing a fantastic job though!

Anyway, the Savage Special Edition still is one of my favs. Tubes are...

Preamp:
V1 -> ECC83/7025 First Quality
V2, V3, V4, V5 -> ECC83/12AX7 selected
V6 -> ECC83/12AX7 standard

Poweramp:
V7, V8, V9, V10-> 5881 or 6L6GC matched set

Those power amp tubes are paired 1/4 and 2/3, which is common for all 100 watt ENGLs including the Invader 100.

ENGL Amplification":3ptxb5mb said:
Anyway, the Savage Special Edition still is one of my favs. Tubes are...

Preamp:
V1 -> ECC83/7025 First Quality
V2, V3, V4, V5 -> ECC83/12AX7 selected
V6 -> ECC83/12AX7 standard
Hi Dennis,
Thanks for coming back to me.
With the tube layout I meant what preamp tube is doing what - what are the gain stages and the rest
Is it like:
V1 - clean
V2a - crunch 1
V2b - crunch 2
V3 - lead
V4 - reverb
V5 - FX loop
V6 - phase inverter

Or is it connected in different way?

Sorry, didn't get you first time... Looks pretty good from mind, think you got it right there. I'll look into it and post the exact layout on Monday. Nice weekend.

Ok, looked into it... The exact Tube Map for is:

V1a Input Clean
V1b Input (Crunch II, Lead)
V2a Crunch II driver stage
V2b Lead driver stage
V3a Rough/Smooth
V3b Heavy Lead / Crunch II
V4a Clean / Crunch
V4b Crunch
V5a FX-Send
V5b FX-Return
V6a phaseinverter
V6b phaseinverter

ENGL support is quite a letdown....I've personally tried to contact them numerous times using their web contact form and got no responses....numerous members have tried to reach out to them on RT and got nothing...when this thread popped up a while back I thought they were finally working on their customer outreach but I guess things have not changed.
Maybe their CS is understaffed, I don't know, but don't hold your breath for CS support.
You should see the service center they have contracted w/ in Massachusetts, very indicative of the product support i've experienced.
I've mainly had ENGL amps and I think they made great products so I'm not bashing them, but forget about support.

Sorry guys, had been ill and in hospital, with no chance to go online.

@stefannz: gonna answer in your original post
@xzyryabx: Really sad to hear this, but yes we want to improve... Believe me it´s a tough job to please the whole world as a small company that we are. should not be an excuse, we are working on it. If you got any issue let us know. You guys can always email me, and if i don´t know the answer right away, i at least get the answer pretty quick.

Hey! welcome!

Where can I buy OEM tubes for my E530 and E850/100 in the USA?

Thanks!

rsm":2lusv2ib said:
Hey! welcome!
Where can I buy OEM tubes for my E530 and E850/100 in the USA?
Thanks!

Right now none of our dealers sells the OEM tubes, simply the import to The states make them too expensive. But Michael at our show room in LA does have some for a reasonable price. You can contact him via email at englshowroom [at] me.com.

Hi,
I have the feeling that either I'm going deaf or my E660 Savage SE has gotten quieter/has less gain in channels 3 and 4.
I used to run the channel volume on ch.3 at 10'o clock and master at 10 o'clock for rehearsals.
Now both the channel volume and the master are at 12 o'clock :confused:

I changed the preamp tubes to JJs, but I can't imagine they're that much quieter?

Is it the power tubes? Or could it be a preamp tube? (which one would be most likely?)
Also I think the amp has less gain than it used to have.
I'm playing a Gibson LP 57 Reissue(stock pups, burstbuckers I think) and can run the gain on the third channel on full -
it is a high gain sound, but when it was new it was impossible to play at this setting because of feedback.

How does the sound compare to an Invader 1? would it be an upgrade? I like the amp, but I could exchange it for an Invader 1 or smolski Ltd for a small amount of money..

Thank you for the help! :)

I have a LP custom 57 Black Beauty and can tell you one thing
for sure. If it has Burstbucker #1,2 or 3 pickups they aren't wax
potted and will squeal at high volume clean and any high gain at low
or high volume.

They have to be wax potted, not an expensive process to have
done. Lindy Fralin charges $10/15 dollars a pickup, most luthiers
do this process in house as well.

The 57 Classic pickups are wax potted, the only way to tell
is to pull the pickups and look underneath of the pickup itself.

Good Luck

Hi,
Thanks for the tip! I only got feedback when I overdid it with the gain though, using sounds I wouldn't use at loud volumes anyway.
I'm rather concerned by the lack of feedback now, so I'm not sure if powertubes start sounding bad when they age, or if they get a lot quiter as well,
or if it's a problem with the preamp tubes. I'll change preamp tubes 1&2 tomorrow anyways, who knows maybe it helps.
cheers

I'm looking for help with my amp too, holding my
baited breath.

Have heard that JJ tubes in ENGL amps will result in
less gain, not from experience just heard round the
forums.

Hope you get your amp squared away, mine too

It may take several days but engl will get back to you. At least they have always helped me out.

Fuego,

Happy to report ENGL has indeed contacted me about my
amplifier, They were all busy at NAMM last week.

I'm not sure what Engls use now, but they used to use the 9th gen chinese preamp tubes (I asked Horst about 10 years ago). I forgot about power tube, but I think those were chinese as well. I have tried tungsol preamp tubes in my old fireball 60 and that caused no problems. The ones I used were a bit pricey (gold pin and balanced). They gave it more clarity and gain. The 9th gen chinese are good as well as long as they aren't microphonic.

Back