ENGL Morse problem ...output transformer?

JustinG60

The amp is an ENGL e656 Steve Morse signature.

Well here's my unfortunate story of habbit caused disaster? ...i just got home from band practice where i use a Marshall Mode Four MF280B, 16 ohm cab, and i began to set up rig up for home practice. At home i use an Egnater Tourmaster 2x12, 8 ohm cab. So as i hooked the speaker load to the head i hooked the 8 ohm cab to the 16 ohm output on the amp. so yes, i have to eat this disaster but i am wondering if it's my output transformer?

i should have some known good EL34 tubes to make sure it's not the power tubes, i know i have some pre amp tubes that are known good. there is no output from the amp to the speakers. what i do have is a bad fizzy guitar sound seeming to be coming from the output transformer. been playing for 16 years, many of which with tube amps, never had a transformer drop out so i don't really know symptoms of a bad OT. i read on forums if i would have had a 4 ohm load to an 8 ohm cab i would have been fine but going the way i did could be pretty bad for the amp. no explanations given or what usually goes bad though.

random thought, why do ENGL amps not have HT or Main fuses?!?!

...and yeh, cab shopping for an 8 ohm cab for my live rig. i don't want to make that mistake again haha

oh, and talking to Mercury about sending them my OT if it's bad and having one designed for the amp. if my OT is blown at least i will provide something to the music community out of the incident.

you can put new tubes in to see if things are different. you can check the plate voltage on the primary is good . you can check the secondary for shorts. get the fat max model ot.

Back