My Engl rig

ZL1Hawk

Engl E530 Preamp w/ Engl E840/50 Poweramp. I use 2 4x12 Avatar cabs with this amp. 1 is loaded with V30's and the other has an x-pattern of V30's and G12T75's. Please excuse the mess as I'm currently moving things around to accommodate for 4 amps, 6 different cabs, and 12 guitars.

I use Splawn head box shells for rack effects.

The 530 and 840 have really surprised me with their tone from solid cleans to thrash/speed metal sounds. You can do a lot with these Engl's. I have yet to use them in a band setting since we are on a break right now until the end of the month but I'll do a review then and see how it holds up live. So far I love the tone and it's giving my Splawn Nitro and Bogner Twin Jet a run for their money.

Nice. I like the idea of using the headshell instead of classic rack but isn`t the poweramp too deep for that?
And I`m also looking forward to your review. I played E530 hooked up to ENGL E920/50 and into ENGL 212 Pro (V30 + C90) and although it sounded good for rhythm, I didn`t like it as much for the leads. Also it didn`t sound as big as my bandsmate`s Dual Recto. But those 2 4x12`s would probably take care of that aspect. :)
Also I`d like to know what do you miss in your Nitro and Twinjet comparing to E530+E840 combo.

sinnersmoon":2619534b said:
Nice. I like the idea of using the headshell instead of classic rack but isn`t the poweramp too deep for that?
And I`m also looking forward to your review. I played E530 hooked up to ENGL E920/50 and into ENGL 212 Pro (V30 + C90) and although it sounded good for rhythm, I didn`t like it as much for the leads. Also it didn`t sound as big as my bandsmate`s Dual Recto. But those 2 4x12`s would probably take care of that aspect. :)
Also I`d like to know what do you miss in your Nitro and Twinjet comparing to E530+E840 combo.

Each amp serves its own purpose. For example if I'm looking to hit people in the face with some riffs then definitely the Bogner TJ through both cabs will be called into service. The KT88 mosh will move some internal organs around.

The Splawn Nitro would be my main. I think I love EL34's the most. Lots of fun to use and the tone is always solid.

No OD's needed, just a MXR Carbon Copy Delay and a Wah for cover songs.

The Engl is just exciting. It takes everything I'm throwing at it. Everybody says I sound cleaner and I don't know if that is a compliment or not. The rack head though fits everything just fine. Splawn has 2 different sizes you can order and the 840 power amp is in with room to spare, maybe 1/2" I think.

Great to see some Engl love here, that's pretty rare :yes:

I dig my Engl rig, I don't have pictures though:

E530 Preamp
E850/100 Power amp
Pair of E212VH cabs

I also purchased a switchdoctor foot switch. I'm using an SKB ATA 4U rack case.

The cleans are pristine, not sterile. This amp has the best cleans I've ever heard IMO. The high-gain saturation is far beyond what I need, and there are several points I dig in between. Even I can't make this rig sound like ass (unless you have ridiculous tone settings!)

Sounds glorious IMO. I don't do metal much any more for a few reasons, but I still like to do it on occasion, I have a BC Rich Stealth Chuck Schuldiner Sig which really sounds as good as it gets into this Engl rig IMO/IME.

I considered many different options before getting this Engl, very happy with this rig. It's my bedroom amp ;) that's what I purchased it for, and it never leaves the house. It's actually set up in the bedroom while the rest of my gear is in my home studio / office.

rsm":v3dmsxpl said:
Great to see some Engl love here, that's pretty rare :yes:

I dig my Engl rig, I don't have pictures though:

E530 Preamp
E850/100 Power amp
Pair of E212VH cabs

I also purchased a switchdoctor foot switch. I'm using an SKB ATA 4U rack case.

The cleans are pristine, not sterile. This amp has the best cleans I've ever heard IMO. The high-gain saturation is far beyond what I need, and there are several points I dig in between. Even I can't make this rig sound like ass (unless you have ridiculous tone settings!)

Sounds glorious IMO. I don't do metal much any more for a few reasons, but I still like to do it on occasion, I have a BC Rich Stealth Chuck Schuldiner Sig which really sounds as good as it gets into this Engl rig IMO/IME.

I considered many different options before getting this Engl, very happy with this rig. It's my bedroom amp ;) that's what I purchased it for, and it never leaves the house. It's actually set up in the bedroom while the rest of my gear is in my home studio / office.

I have a Stealth Chuck Schuldiner sig. I'll pull it off the sidelines and run with it today and the Engl since you mentioned it.

Cool! The X2N is my favorite non-active pickup, and cleans up nicely IMO. :yes:

I also use my Steinberger Synapse SS-2F guitars into the Engl, EMG 81/85 which are my favorite pickups after all these years.

My Rics don't sound like Rics into the Engl either. :D

Back