Engl Ironball or RockMaster

tvsuneeth

Hi,
I have been playing guitar for sometime now and I am in the market for an amp to use in my bedroom.
I am into rock/hardrock/punk/metal. I like playing songs from bands such a Social Distortion, Volbeat, Tool, Kyuss, Alice In Chains, Metallica, Sepultura etc..

After doing much research I have shortlisted two amps, IronBall and RockMaster. I have recently had an opportunity to quickly try Ironball. I liked the amp but at the same time I also thought it sounds a bit too agressive. I am yet to try the RockMaster.

Here is what I thought after watching few reviews of both the amps in youtube,
IronBall - sounds good for agressive metal tones but might not be suitable for vintage rock tones.
RockMaster - really good for rock tones but might not be suitabl for Metal

Which one would you recommend? IronBall or Rockmaster or perhaps something else?

Thanks
ST

I would go for the ironball. It's an all tube head while the other isn't. Solid state loop. Switch the gain switch down for 3 gain stages instead of 4. Classic tones all day. Just played a gig the other day with it. Tool, chains, ten years, seether, Metallica, etc. even did some skynrd

The Ironball is perfectly capable of classic rock/hard rock tones. LOWER THE GAIN, RAISE THE VOLUME. Done.

Clean Channel gain at 2 o' clock, Lead channel gain between 8 and 9 'o clock, Gain Boost on and I can do AC/DC on this all day long.

(and make sure you match it with decent speakers.)

Back