Why No Engl Raider Head?

SavageRiffer

Banned
I had the combo and absolutely loved it. It was a regretful sale because it was a great amp. It's gone under the radar for some reason, and I think it's because they didn't make a head version. I liked it better than some of their other offerings, and that's saying a lot because there's not an Engl that I don't love. Really sorely overlooked amp.

Does Engl perhaps make a head version already under another name? The only other Engl I see that uses 5881 tubes is the Blackmore.

Fuego":3bdnic4z said:
Does Engl perhaps make a head version already under another name? The only other Engl I see that uses 5881 tubes is the Blackmore.

No the Blackmore is a different beast. The Raider is hard to explain but there are some pretty good videos of it on Youtube. With the gain up a little playing a solo, there's this really cool vocal wah quality to it. The clean channel is oustanding too. The tone is a bit smoother than you might expect. It's a super versatile amp.

Is the overall voicing closer to the Blackmore/Savage (fundamentally British), the Fireball/Powerball (darker, more modern), or something else entirely? I've never seen a Raider in person, much less played one, and Engl's online descriptions are less than, well, descriptive.

Rising Farce":rtx1on5y said:
Is the overall voicing closer to the Blackmore/Savage (fundamentally British), the Fireball/Powerball (darker, more modern), or something else entirely? I've never seen a Raider in person, much less played one, and Engl's online descriptions are less than, well, descriptive.

I've owned the Savage 120, Sovereign 100 and Raider 100.

For me, personally, the Raider felt different than the Savage and Sovereign, more "american", a bit darker and definitely looser in feel. I would say it is a bit more similar to the Fireball 100 but not quite as modern if I remember correctly. Don't know the other ENGL amps so can't compare.

I liked the Raider, but did end up selling it again at one point. I also owned another Sovereign 100 after that which I personally prefer because it's a bit tighter - but that's just me and probably because I played a Savage as my main amp for 7+ years (the Sovereign and Savage are VERY similar).

Yeah, the Sovereign sounds great. Both the Raider and Sovereign sound different from the Engl heads, so I never understood why they wouldn't make a head version of both. The Raider has some of the most awesome, wah-like mids I've ever heard from a 6L6 amp. Both amps are very loud, 100w I think, but very comfortable to use at home.

Back