What can I use to prevent voltage swings?

ZR4400

I live in an old house (1918). The wiring is a mix of old and new.

To control noise, I am using a Furman a Power Factor Pro. I have learned that this is an essential piece of gear.

I have voltage swings. 120 to 122 to 124 at the highest. My amp (modded Yeti) sounds great at 120 volts, and starts to sound worse when the voltage hits 124. I have not had any issues going below 120 volts.

Can I use a VARIAC to control the voltage and set at at 120 and eliminate the swing?

I really don't want to shell out big bucks for a Furman Voltage Regulator. The power conditioner was expensive enough.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ZR4400":ak0dpir1 said:
I live in an old house (1918). The wiring is a mix of old and new.

To control noise, I am using a Furman a Power Factor Pro. I have learned that this is an essential piece of gear.

I have voltage swings. 120 to 122 to 124 at the highest. My amp (modded Yeti) sounds great at 120 volts, and starts to sound worse when the voltage hits 124. I have not had any issues going below 120 volts.

Can I use a VARIAC to control the voltage and set at at 120 and eliminate the swing?

I really don't want to shell out big bucks for a Furman Voltage Regulator. The power conditioner was expensive enough.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

You could mod your amp to lower the B+ to the preamp a bit. Might fix your issues. It's one 18k resistor between G and N on the layout. Try raising it. The amp should get browner, less harsh.

-I feel for ya, you in the north east? I'm from new England owned a home built in 1919 had knob & tube, black tar & cloth & romex 12-2/3 in it. Your voltage swing isn't that bad and can be lessened with circuit isolation & selection.

-But if you have dirty power & your tech savvy a single phase 240 or 3 phase server room power scrubber are the only way to go, install it immediately after your main breakers on your service entrance & do your entire house...I got an old used one for $50 at the salvage yard.

<-----big-fan-of-a-good-variac-set-@-185 volts-ish------<<<<<

Another option, more formally, is to use what is called a voltage regulator.

power conditioning removes noise from an AC source, but does nothing to control the change or droops in voltages from the mains. To fix this, you will need to run a voltage regulator.

Usually it goes power conditioner -> voltage regulator - > gear

Just got my Tripp Lite LC1200 today. I don't really need it at home, but my last two gigs were in places with very sketchy power. The outlets in my house are a reliable 123.9 volts, but that ain't the case in a lot of bars when you add in lasers, PA, keys, etc.

Back