.001uf cap vs .022uf

I currently have a Les Paul with a .001 UF cap on it and it's getting kind of bright and thin if I dial it anything past three and a half if I put in a .022 UF cap will that give me a more broader sweep on the tone knob. Where I can turn it up and get the full dynamics of the pot before it gets thin

Not sure what you're asking. A higher value cap will roll off the highs more and make it so turning the tone knob all the way up results in a darker tone than with a lower value cap.

Do you like your LP with the tone/volume full on?

If not, the problem is the volume pot and not the cap.
You may want to use a 300-330k volume pot instead, that's going to tame a bit of the high end.

Gibson used to use that value a lot in the past btw.

The higher resistance of the cap if you switch that out with something of a higher value will only impact the way you can roll off treble using that tone pot. So on 10 you'd still get the same sound as you would get without the cap wired up.

After doing some a being with the .01 and 2.02 I would say for sure that .01 opens the guitar up the most or you can turn your tone knob back and still get a balanced EQ. Whereas with a .02 to the regular cab in a Gibson with a paf pickup at least in the situation that I'm using it muffles it and takes the highs and the lows out and emphasizes the mids but it makes it sound like there's a blanket over the amp so the .01 is definitely the cap to go with in my opinion

I'm pretty much a tone on 10 guy, I might roll the bridge pickup back a tiny bit and I choose my pickups such that it sounds right with tone on 10 (or close). I use .022uF for bridge and .015uF for neck and 500k pots.

SpiderWars":308olgsz said:
I'm pretty much a tone on 10 guy, I might roll the bridge pickup back a tiny bit and I choose my pickups such that it sounds right with tone on 10 (or close). I use .022uF for bridge and .015uF for neck and 500k pots.

That was me for years, I never touched the tone other than to make sure it was still turned all the way up. I started removing the tone knob out of the circuit completely and loved the sound so much better. I don't use tone knobs on any of my guitars now, they may be installed in the guitar housing, but they are cut out of the circuit.

Back