volume problem with 6505 +

Problem with Peavey 6505 + during rehearsal was playing along and volume seemed to cut in half any idea's of what happened. i have also had on two occaisions while not playing what i call white noise like a bad cable but unhooked all cable same thing turn off let sit for a minute and noise is gone. amp is 1 yr old with original tubes. any thoughts would be appreciated.

I am not an amp tech but I have had this very issue on my 5150 II. It ended up being dirty contacts in the FX loop input jacks. On the 5150s the FX loop jacks are switches and if they are not used they corrode and cause this issue. I would hit them with some pot cleaner and take a 1/4 plug and run it through a few times. Also I would check tubes and clean the tube sockets while in there. This seems to cure 99% of my 5150 issues. There are some threads on this very issue at the Peavey forum.

goaltender46":1qwndevg said:
I am not an amp tech but I have had this very issue on my 5150 II. It ended up being dirty contacts in the FX loop input jacks. On the 5150s the FX loop jacks are switches and if they are not used they corrode and cause this issue. I would hit them with some pot cleaner and take a 1/4 plug and run it through a few times. Also I would check tubes and clean the tube sockets while in there. This seems to cure 99% of my 5150 issues. There are some threads on this very issue at the Peavey forum.

Was going to suggest the same thing, had this problem with my 5150 and also a Rockmaster preamp and cleaning out the effects send and return jacks fixed the problem immediately.

Back