Can you get your amp to run at 90VAC without a variac?

HilltopExplosion

My amp sounds waay better at 90 VAC.. (BE100). Just better sustain, crunch, and all around bad-assedness. I run the output tube bias around 47 ma at 90 volts. DC is around 360. Is there a way to do this?

Reducing the Vac will affect the B+ as well as the heater voltages. Power scaling is the concept of lowering B+ without affecting heater voltages. In a fixed-bias amp, you also have to adjust the bias to 'track' the B+. London Power sells power scaling kits, although I have no idea whether the boards would fit in a BE100...

V2a":2hroerz4 said:
Reducing the Vac will affect the B+ as well as the heater voltages. Power scaling is the concept of lowering B+ without affecting heater voltages. In a fixed-bias amp, you also have to adjust the bias to 'track' the B+. London Power sells power scaling kits, although I have no idea whether the boards would fit in a BE100...

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.. I think I found out what I need to do.. :rock:

Kruse Kontrol amps can add variable wattage to most amps. They did it for my Jet City and it sounds nice. Jens Kruse is a great guy, does good work.

Back