Hercules Wall Hanger: Top Drywall Anchor Loose

Junk Yard Dog

Did all the research and have had my electrics hung for 4 years. Never had a problem NOT using drywall hangers, but I have one spot on the wall (all spaced out evenly, btw) and the top screw anchor is loose and thus the hanger is loose a bit.

The anchor is not coming out, but I don't want to risk it. What say you guys? 1) It's OK, because the anchor, while loose, is not coming out, or 2) patch it up, find a new spot, and ensure the pre-drilled hole is tighter?

See picture below of the loose top anchor. I'm trying to post pictures via photobucket, but it ain't working.

Help!

The top screw is loose because the gypsum is most likely cracked. I mounted wall hangers onto the studs with three inch wood screws. You could also mount your hangers onto a length of 2x4 and then mount that to the studs.

Martin

There are different types of wallboard hangers, I would guess you have the plastic ones that split apart when a screw is put into it. You may be able to use the metal butterfly type spring toggle if the wallboard isn't damaged to bad. I think they hold better, only downside is they're not reusable. Once unscrewed they'll drop into the wall cavity.

Back