Peavey JSX issue! Did I fry something??

napalmdeath

In my own stupidity, I fired up the JSX, had no sound. I forgot, I pulled V1 & V2 preamp tubes to put into another amp for some experiments, and FORGOT! INeedless to say, I replaced them, and now it sounds like SHIT. Lost a lot of gain, and very fizzy, as if I cranked the bias to 500mA! What did I likely do to it?

napalmdeath":ywwl3f7h said:
In my own stupidity, I fired up the JSX, had no sound. I forgot, I pulled V1 & V2 preamp tubes to put into another amp for some experiments, and FORGOT! INeedless to say, I replaced them, and now it sounds like SHIT. Lost a lot of gain, and very fizzy, as if I cranked the bias to 500mA! What did I likely do to it?

Did you replace them with the same pre tubes? If not, like SG said, bad tube.

JerryP":17x6v0r5 said:
Powering it up with out preamp tubes can't hurt anything.
Jerry

Something happened. I put all new preamp tubes in, and its back to being a fire-breathing beast. I suppose it could be coincidence, but V3 and V4 both took a dump!

Its all good now!

napalmdeath":1hv36rvh said:
JerryP":1hv36rvh said:
Powering it up with out preamp tubes can't hurt anything.
Jerry

Something happened. I put all new preamp tubes in, and its back to being a fire-breathing beast. I suppose it could be coincidence, but V3 and V4 both took a dump!

Its all good now!

Glad you got it worked out. Turning an amp on without preamp tubes can't hurt anything. Done it many times in testing amps.

Back