Dear Wise Sherpas - I'm heading down the rabbit hole, and

Astew

I would greatly appreciate some guidance! :)

Hello, my name is Adam - I'm brand new here, but I've been gawking for a while. I'm just starting to build my first rack since the '90s. I'm collecting a lot of fun gear that I've always wanted, and I'm on my way to building my first w/d/w rig. Of course I started with the piece I'm most excited about - an Eventide H3000.

Unfortunately, I don't yet have a stereo power amp, or enough amps for a w/d/w rig, but I'm excited to play with the H3000 band delays as soon as possible (it's a sound I've loved since I was a teenager!). I plan on using the effect in a "live" situation, essentially as a delay pedal in my setup.

Here's what I'm currently working with (please humor me; I realize this is total amateur hour from your POV, but I'm just getting started relieving a long - looonnnnngggg spell of GAS!) -

1 Guitars :)
2 Voodoo Lab GCX and Ground Control
3 Lots of old pedals
4 Marshall JMP-1 premp
5 Blackstar 5-HT head and cabinet

I currently run my guitar into the GCX. The first loops are compression, old fuzzes and phasers, and tape delays. I have the JMP-1 placed between loops toward the end of the chain so that I can run delay and modulation after the JMP-1. The GCX then goes through an EQ, and into the effects return of the Blackstar head (bypassing its preamp). I use the Ground Control as a pedal board and channel switcher for the JMP-1. Eventually, I will run the H3000 through one of the loops on the GCX (mmmmmm... reverb and band delays....).

For now (again - no stereo power amp yet), here's how I'm planning to connect the unit so I can play with it:
I'll come out of the left and right outputs of the JMP-1 and go into the stereo inputs of the H3000. I've read all of the discussions here about how to connect this unit - I know the 2nd vs 3rd XLR hot pin thing is a concern. My first question is: do I need 4 of these https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PhaseReverse for each input and output of the H3000?
to connect the unit to my preamp and power amp? I've consulted the H3000 manual on Eventide's website, but the scan is old, and I can't actually read the diagram showing the polarity of the pins on the inputs and outputs. (Side note: I've also read some threads that argued the polarity wasn't a real concern, but I've decided to take it seriously for now - unless you care to convince me not to!) I then plan to connect the outputs of the H3000 to some sad series of adapters (likely the whirlwind phase reverse adapter linked above, a Y adapter - since the power amp does not have a stereo effects loop, and an XLR to unbalanced 1/4" adapter) and into the effects return of the Blackstar head. (I know - the very notion is disgusting and I completely agree, but I also know you'll understand that I can't wait to play with this thing; it's been over 20 years now)

My second question: Do you have any better recommendations, given that I'm not acquiring more amps immediately?

Thanks for reading - and for your patience ;)

All the best,

Adam

Welcome, The old Huge Racks Inc is still up for info search and lot of those guys landed on The Gear Page, they even started a new sub forum for Rack stuff..That would be a good place to ask these questions...

Back