Warren DeMartini

Kapo_Polenton":qugd855n said:
Are you kidding me? Nobody jumps out on the stars video except for Yngwie and Schon in parts. Everyone else sucks and has horrible tone...Lynch included.. sounds like a trebly mess.
This may be the absolute dumbest thing that anybody has said on a forum, ever. :poke:

In all seriousness I thought Lynch killed it on that song. Yngwie was good but I actually thought he phoned it in compared to some of his other material from those days...he could have done better. I haven't heard it in a long time but I recall liking what Craig Goldy did as well.

As for Lynch and Demartini...both great players but Demartini was admittedly heavily influenced by George and flat out ripped off his vibrato technique. I always preferred Lynch but Warren wasn't too far behind for me in the beginning. Then it seemed that as George progressed, Warren got more laid back and bluesy (which I appreciate more now than I did back then). Warren did tear it up on the latest Ratt album though...his work was definitely a throwback to the early days.

This may be the absolute dumbest thing that anybody has said on a forum, ever.

meh, i'm not taking the bait... we'd all have tone like that if we were back in the 80's and hind sight is 20/20 with the gear we have available to us now. Lynch, Gillis, Malmsteen all kick my ass on guitar so who cares.......... buuuuuuut , Lynch still sucks in that vid. :D

donbarzini":1w0dctzm said:
Kapo_Polenton":1w0dctzm said:

meh, i'm not taking the bait... we'd all have tone like that if we were back in the 80's and hind sight is 20/20 with the gear we have available to us now. Lynch, Gillis, Malmsteen all kick my ass on guitar so who cares.......... buuuuuuut , Lynch still sucks in that vid. :D

What about the BOC dude with the beard? He really didn't fit in.
Agreed, he wasn't very cute...I like the younger guys with tans.

around the time of Stars, Lynch was at the top of his game! After EVH switched gears in the late 80's Lynch carried the torch for LA rock guitar ( IMHO).. Tooth and nail through Back for the Attack is benchmark sunset strip rock guitar! Dimartini was great but never had the songs, or guitar hero factor that Lynch had in his prime.

Around Lynch Mob and on I felt George got too far away from the signature melodic style of the classic Dokken years and I lost a bit of interest..

Randy Van Sykes":3s3sne63 said:
donbarzini":3s3sne63 said:
Kapo_Polenton":3s3sne63 said:

What about the BOC dude with the beard? He really didn't fit in.
Agreed, he wasn't very cute...I like the younger guys with tans.

I'm sure Rob Halford had a great time doing that video. A room full of guys all to himself. :D

This is kinda funny (to me only i guess), but last night after seeing this lynch thread I went to my "go to" video when I want to feel good about Lynch, and sure enough it was the Hear N Aid thing. I too was about 14 and I bought the full video and probably watched the solos 500 times. Lynch is by far #1 on that for being on top of his finger-vibrato, abstract playing. Just wild. I was always a fan of the Goldy stuff, Buck Dharma for the previously mentioned swinging style, and of course Yngwie came in and ripped. Wasn't a huge fan of the wife-beater Brad Gillis look and thought Schon was just wanking away. Obviously, this thing was a big boost to Craig Goldy and unfortunately is about the same time Vivian turned soft-rock.

Wow. its an 80's metal "We Are The World". Never heard of it before today.

I have to admit it gave me a chuckle.

For a first time hearing it, Ill agree with the majority - GL & YM FTW. Schon was ok. Everyone else was average filler. I think this video is very representitive of the 80s metal/shred era....a few standout talents and the rest are copycats and filler

donbarzini":27o2cpzp said:
MisterBulbous":27o2cpzp said:
This is kinda funny (to me only i guess), but last night after seeing this lynch thread I went to my "go to" video when I want to feel good about Lynch, and sure enough it was the Hear N Aid thing. I too was about 14 and I bought the full video and probably watched the solos 500 times. Lynch is by far #1 on that for being on top of his finger-vibrato, abstract playing. Just wild. I was always a fan of the Goldy stuff, Buck Dharma for the previously mentioned swinging style, and of course Yngwie came in and ripped. Wasn't a huge fan of the wife-beater Brad Gillis look and thought Schon was just wanking away. Obviously, this thing was a big boost to Craig Goldy and unfortunately is about the same time Vivian turned soft-rock.

I cringe when I hear Brad Gillis getting all whammy happy with his steel wool hair-do

At least he was doing it in the 80's when it wasn't annoying. No, it was always annoying.

I cringe when I read guitarists posting on a board that Gillis and Vivian Campbell And Cavazo were "average filler and that Neal Schon was "ok".....

My mom says I am the best guitarist in the world and that YJM sounds like a catfight.

Back