John Norum gear walk through

Kapo_Polenton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z_1dsqJqXE

I can't be the only fan of his here. Awesome vibrato and I have always liked his phrasing. Kind of like a best of Shenker and Yngwie with a bit of his own thing going on as well. His gear? nice and simple. A guy who isn't afraid to use stock equipment and doesn't need to mod the hell out of everything he has. wah-chorus-tuner-old delay. v30's and channel switching 2205's with KT88's and he makes it happen. I guess this is another glowing endorsement for "tone is in the fingers" I guess because he has it. I also find it kind of funny that here we are spending hundreds on all these pedals and I bet him and Warren could grab an off the shelf SD-1 and make it rip through solid state fender practice amp.

Also note that he is from the Lynch era and his chops are still 100% in tact. :thumbsup: case in point.. warming up for a show on a crappy practice amp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9HUsQg_ ... re=related

Norum ROCKS!! :rawk: One of my biggest influences for sure, i actually picked up the guitar after hearing him play on Europe's Final Countdown album which i had on a cassette at the time.

His vibrato is insane... I do kind of wish he'd go back to rocking the super strats but I guess the les pauls are his thing now.

Unless you counted 4 preamp tubes around the back there, those are channel switching JCM800 2205's meaning they use diode clipping for the boost. Hence the reason people complain about the "fizz" on the amps from time to time. He isn't cheating, the pedal gain is built into the amp! ;) "stock" is "stock"!

Wait a minute.. I counted 4 preamp tubes too. I'm guessing this is for the effects loop as to my knowledge these did not come with an extra preamp tube for gain.

He's running USA models with a stepdown transformer. He likes the sound better that way. At least with the old 2205 that he got from Schenker, and Schenker's manager is bugging him about buying back :LOL: :LOL:

I always preferred the 2203/2204 800's over the channel switching/reverb 2205's etc, the channels an reveb would bleed through on mine also and It didnt sound or feel as good as my 2203 so i offed it years ago. I have a white 84 custom with the maple 3 piece neck an love it, the maple gives it a different tone then the mahogany.

He top wraps his LP's. I like his style! I love it when killer players have simple rigs.

Those 2205's he uses are definitely stock, no mods other than different power tubes at that time. He no longer uses KT88's, he ditched them shortly after that tour and went with KT77's :thumbsup:

Mark Cameron was John's amp guy for quite some time and Mark confirmed those amps were indeed bone stock 2205's.

Also on the Another Destination CD that is pretty much all Cameron modded Marshall tone, aside from a couple of tracks.

MrDan666":sdart6d5 said:
Those 2205's he uses are definitely stock, no mods other than different power tubes at that time. He no longer uses KT88's, he ditched them shortly after that tour and went with KT77's :thumbsup:

Mark Cameron was John's amp guy for quite some time and Mark confirmed those amps were indeed bone stock 2205's.

Also on the Another Destination CD that is pretty much all Cameron modded Marshall tone, aside from a couple of tracks.
I also think that a lot of the hugeness in tone guys like Norum get from there setups is the fact that they are using multiple amplifiers and in his case it's split with a chorus. You are not only hearing one amp when you hear guys like Norum, Jon Levin etc ect :rawk:

Those 2205's he uses are definitely stock, no mods other than different power tubes at that time. He no longer uses KT88's, he ditched them shortly after that tour and went with KT77's

Take THAT Dave! :D .. I have some KT77's I have been meaning to load in my Lynchbox to give them a try. Maybe i'll do that this week. I liked them in my NMV.

I always enjoy rig walkthoughs like this but I wish they were more detailed. What are the details on his delay? He is showing only one switch on his pedal board for his delay (no midi switcher) is he only using one delay setting? The biggest thing I always wonder about on these things, no boost? Does he get lead boost from the board only? I couldnt make his rig work for me w/o more gear as in my band I always need a boost.

MrDan666":1toqg4hg said:

He has a very interesting Schecter strat in the cover of that album, and on the booklet he is with a Superstrat with only 1 humbucker. Do you know anything about those guitars?

I also have an Europe DVD where they are very young, and he is playing a black Superstrat with 2 humbuckers.

Back