MXR Carbon Copy vs TC Electronic Flashback delay-my thoughts

university81

I realise a video comparing the two would be ideal, but unfortunately I don't have anything setup in our practice room, and using my mobile phone would just be terrible for want of better words =0

Maybe this interests some people , I'm quite a delay afficianado had few in my time ( EHX SMM with hazarai, Akai Headrush, Carl Martin Red Repeat, MXR CC - Boss DD-6)

I use the Line6 M9 on my board now together with the Flashback delay and a DD-6 (for the phrase sampling feature/hold)

//

I received the Flashback delay yesterday, and spent a good 2-3 hours playing with it, really addictive pedal, the dotted eighths setting will make you lose all notion of time and space =0

The delay sounds in the various modes are all very pristine/studio sounding and clear but not overly processed/digital sounding, it takes up about the size of the polytune (same casing as far as i can see), and is very straightforward to use. My particular favourites are the 2290 , Analog, Tape, Mod and toneprint modes (more on toneprint later).

The MXR CC in comparison, has a much darker liquid like tone/feel to it, maybe more natural sounding as it molds more into the background instead of being really clear/defined (part of the analog nature of the pedal i guess). The mod/chorus engaged also is quite subtle but adds a nice lush character, it definitely has it's place on anyone's pedalboard

The deciding factor for me was simply flexibility, while I would engage the MXR CC for adding a more subtle delay sound/atmosphere the Flashback has that and more, including a useful tap tempo feature, (the looper is a great addition but i can use the m9 for that),

also the toneprint mode on the flashback, the default toneprint supplied with the flashback is actually quite close to the MXR CC in terms of sound, not quite there but pretty close, and the analog setting on the flashback is almost as nice but clearer sounding (I don't think brighter is the right term just clearer with 'analog' characteristics).

If TC release a toneprint editor, (which imo they really should) then it's a huge homerun, the stefan schackinger toneprint for example is real nice, you can set the feedback really high on it for example so it self'oscillates in the background without blowing up in terms of volume, so you have pad like effects, without needing to fiddle with knobs, the self'oscillation of the MXR is crazy =0 just have to control it with the knobs unless you want to go deaf lol

The extra features etc are really well explained in the official TC vid

TLDR:

- The MXR CC has it's own thing, lush/dark natural sounding delays
- The Flashback has enormous flexibility, studio/pristine/clear delays with lots of features in a compact polytune sized enclosure
-The Flashback can get close to the MXR CC sounding delays, wheras the CC is stuck to it's own thing which it does very well i'd add

//
I'm selling the MXR now to finance the flashback so to say, but I'd keep it if I could as it has it's place, but if you're trying to decide between the two new, the flashback is not only cheaper but more flexible.

Hey man great review. My TC flashback arrived this morning, its fantastic. Such a versatile pedal and the price is a bargain. Your right about the software. If TC would release the editing features to the public this would be a huge breakthrough. Co-incidently I have an M9 as well, but this Pedal is definitely going on my smaller board. I'm spoiled for choice, and its great to get the 2290 version in a pedal. My only gripe is that the pedal eats batteries like crazy, the supplied battery was dead after just 15 mins, lol.

Hope you enjoy yours :-D

MiKe

MiKeGTR":18xx8zaz said:
Hey man great review. My TC flashback arrived this morning, its fantastic. Such a versatile pedal and the price is a bargain. Your right about the software. If TC would release the editing features to the public this would be a huge breakthrough. Co-incidently I have an M9 as well, but this Pedal is definitely going on my smaller board. I'm spoiled for choice, and its great to get the 2290 version in a pedal. My only gripe is that the pedal eats batteries like crazy, the supplied battery was dead after just 15 mins, lol.

Hope you enjoy yours :-D

MiKe

Thanks for the feedback, =0

15minutes lol, yeah I didn't test that, it's not even mentioned in the videos heh

i have a pedaltrain2 so everything fits, i can use it for both bands i'm in + various shows, and if needs be through any clean amp i'm good to go

the moral of the story is to use an adapter or power supply with any delay pedal =)

I thought about buying the Flashback, but I'm already using a Carbon Copy, DL4 and Pod HD500 for delays. :LOL: :LOL: any more and I'll turn into the Edge, and I'll be playing my pedals rather than playing guitar. :doh:

Nice review

more delay addicts =0 good stuff

i still think in a live setting i could probably get away with the M9 for everything, in a mix people won't really 'taste' the difference, but the TC is certainly nicer than the line6 delays to my ears, and that's what matters =) and probably cuts through nicer, also fits small pedalboards like a glove imo for a one 'do it all ' delay pedal

i was gassing for the el capistan too, but at 300 euros locally for some lush delays it's a bit much, would love to try one tho, as well as some vintage delays to see what the fuss is about

in any case I managed to sell the MXR CC to a friend today who wanted an 80s guitar hero lead sound =0 i'll do my best not to look at gear demos for a while now heh

Got my flashback today, I am seriously impressed! I am loving the 2290 setting and the Aldrich toneprint I downloaded. I will try and do some clips as I picked an Sm57 as well.

Has anybody tried running this pedal on batteries? I got mine today, love the pedal, works fine running on mains, but I'm having serious issues when using batteries. I thought it was just wearing them out real quick, but the pedal is being 'selective' and is cutting out when using batteries. Maybe I've got a faulty one. I DONT get this problem with my Boss DD3

any help :)?

MiKe

maiden_fan":23oxyakh said:
You can't run the pedal on batteries really. Mine eats them Within 15 minutes.

Yours too? Thats exactly what happened to mine. Thanks, thats put my mind at rest. I didn't want to have to return it, its a great pedal. Read on the TC site this morning that Steve Morse and Soren Anderson are working on Tone Prints for it :-D :rock:

MiKe

Just saw this thread as it was linked to the other Flashback thread.

Do you still have the Akai headrush that you could compare the flashback to the headrush? I have a headrush E1 and TC Nova Repeater :)

My Flashback has been shipped! Judging from OP's review, I feel it will be the perfect addition to the CC on my pedal board! I think the Flashback will replace the Digitech Hardwire in what it can do - and will do it a lot better, if it's true!

sombersoul":2ysjek58 said:
My Flashback has been shipped! Judging from OP's review, I feel it will be the perfect addition to the CC on my pedal board! I think the Flashback will replace the Digitech Hardwire in what it can do - and will do it a lot better, if it's true!

grats =0 nice combo to have, i reckon you'll enjoy it a lot

i never tried the hardwire, but had the hardwire reverb which was quite nice,
i replaced the hardwire reverb with the m9 as i don't use reverb that much,

OK, my Flashback (and Polyphonic tuner) arrived earlier this week. Here are a couple of impressions. Take into account that I'm only really getting to know this pedal.

Build quality is great, the pedal can be opened via a big "coin" screw. I didn't care for the "super-foldy" manual. This can be done better. The Polyphonic tuner also comes with two little strips of velcro. The Flashback comes with a 9V battery.

OK, first impression hooked up to my Blackstar HT-5 home rig was so-so...until I realized that the knobs need to be set somewhat differently than what I was used to from other delays, especially the mix and delay knobs (range of 7 ms!).

I took the Flashback to rehearsal and hooked it up to the Shiva. Worked like a charm. Totally quiet and transparent operation. This was with true bypass enabled.

Back home, I started to dig in deeper. And now I found all the sweetness in this unit and much inspiration (which is actually one of the the main factors I judge a pedal on). The Flashback does exactly what I had hoped for: replace my Hardwire DL-8, because it can do the same but comes in an overall more pleasing package (I simply prefer heavy-duty vintage-style stomps).

All the modes sound nice, there's something to be had in every mode. I'm more into the less pristine varieties myself - the 2290 is certainly super clear.

The switchable dotted 8ths and 16ths repeats as well as the "strum-in" feature stand out! This is why the pedal is on my board now, since no other unit I currently have can do this. Nice textures to be had!

In the analogue-sounding modes with the feedback high up or set to infinite you get a padded ambient cloud-effect. Superb! You can keep on playing and the sound never gets out of control. This is certainly not true for the MXR CC where you need to watch the volume or else your speakers / eardrums go.

The reverse delay works smoothly as well, you can get a fully "wet" signal here (i.e. reverse only).

I haven't experimented much with the looper yet (but will).

The onboard Toneprint setting by ... I forget ... has a deep, dark sounding chorus. Actually quite usable. I haven't tried any other preset yet, since I want to get the most out of the Flasback myself first and then see what others have created. And for band purposes, I'd really like to create my own sound instead of using someone else's.

As for true bypass vs. buffered (killdry on/off) - no experience here yet! I left everything at factory settings for now.

In a nutshell:

The Flashback is a great-sounding, quiet and very capable digital delay that can go far but comes in a handy size. It's now on my pedal board and is definitely a keeper!

Just as an aside: I'm not sure about the Polyphonic tuner yet. I find the display very hard to read (but it may have to do with me wearing contact lenses)!!!

good stuff somber,

i can imagine if you're not so into the pristine/clear sounding delays it might not quite be up your alley, if a toneprint editor is released you can probably fix that somewhat =0

i've totally fallen for the steve morse tone print, beautiful spatial/ slightly modulated delay, sounds huge

http://www.tcelectronic.com/toneprintdo ... ntId=11950

the schackinger tone print is really cool when you bump the feedback up really high, get those pad kind of effects without destroying your speakers as you mentioned with the CC =0

the toneprints are effortless to install btw, just plug the usb cable in, run the tc software, and it has an upload and an a/b button to compare to what toneprint you had before, you can keep your flashback plugged into the amp to see too

considering you have both on your board i think you have the best of both worlds, i'm still very impressed with the flashback in any case, trying out new toneprints is almost like getting a new pedal, very versatile indeed

i haven't had an issue with the polytune in terms of readability, it's actually saved me on gigs where you have sun shining right on your board, great products imo

Back