EVH Wolfgang owners Help Me Out Please!

bsp01":28uz0t30 said:
Thanks for the input guys. I think I found the problem. The stock floyd has a shim under the saddles. With the shim, the radius is 10", the EVH is 12-16 compound radius. Removing the shim will put the bridge at 12", but I'm going to also get a few saddle shims and shim certain saddles to get it better for the 16" radius.

I'm pretty sure once I've got the saddles shims in it will play better than it did from the factory.
Before you shim, make sure the saddles are in the correct spots as I posted above, low , medium, and high saddles. You may not need to shim.

Digital Jams":25ofl9tv said:
No problem with the back angled up a bit, lots of bar abusers do that with charvels to get multi-octave pull ups. Mess around raising and lowering the posts as well, will not hurt anything.

+1, some of my charvels with floyds that aren't routed are angled forward a bit so I can pull up G string harmonics a 4th.

Pete

The Wolfgang is a dive only. You may try to get it to float for pull up, but then the D-tuna is useless. You are on the right track with shimming the saddle pieces for radius. I had assumed that you had already done that. Use a radius gauge on the strings. You can also use shims on individual saddle pieces.
The best tone and function that you are going to get out of your Wolfgang is by doing what I described previously. When the bridge is set on the body correctly, you only have a very narrow range of height adjustment. You have to shim the neck pocket to get it real close. On every Wolfgang USA Standard I've owned and had setup at Peavey, only one had a perfect match of neck, body and bridge that did not need to have the neck shimmed. It's a bolt on neck, shimming it for perfect geometry is not a big deal, and in fact when you get the Peavey guys to do a custom setup on your guitar this exactly what they do.
Floyds setup for dive only are a different animal than floaters. There is more to the setup but the guitar will end up with superior tone and stability.
If you really don't want to shim the neck, and you have to raise the bridge so the base plate is not lying flat on the body, then you will have to block the bridge.
Make a wood block that fits perfectly in between the sustain block and the body and glue it in place.

IMG_6590.jpg

....also, if you have the opposite problem, can't get action low enough, what will happen is that as you lower the bridge the base plate will bind on the edge of the rout and begin to tilt forward slightly. This will cause a situation where the bridge will not return securely to the same spot after a dive.

glip22":1s2cnzxe said:
bsp01":1s2cnzxe said:
Thanks for the input guys. I think I found the problem. The stock floyd has a shim under the saddles. With the shim, the radius is 10", the EVH is 12-16 compound radius. Removing the shim will put the bridge at 12", but I'm going to also get a few saddle shims and shim certain saddles to get it better for the 16" radius.

I'm pretty sure once I've got the saddles shims in it will play better than it did from the factory.
Before you shim, make sure the saddles are in the correct spots as I posted above, low , medium, and high saddles. You may not need to shim.

Yeah, I was careful about those saddles, they're ok. I have to remove the shim under them.

TeleBlaster":2mms6lki said:
The Wolfgang is a dive only. You may try to get it to float for pull up, but then the D-tuna is useless. You are on the right track with shimming the saddle pieces for radius. I had assumed that you had already done that. Use a radius gauge on the strings. You can also use shims on individual saddle pieces.

Haha... a bad assumption, but then you don't know me so it's completely understandable. In my naivety I just assumed I could pop the old bridge out, pop in a new one and set the intonation and be finished.

TeleBlaster":2zrgtscw said:
Make a wood block that fits perfectly in between the sustain block and the body and glue it in place.

IMG_6590.jpg
I've been doing that to all of my floyded guitars for at least 20 years. I hate how a floating floyd knocks all the strings out of tune with string bends...plus you get much better wood resonance with the extra contact.

As far as the Wolfgang....never had an issue the all the ones I've had....there's nothing wrong with the stock floyd IMO.

Back