Two Notes Torpedo PI-101 Free Version now available

Shark Diver":1ery4lzm said:
Both of those sound bad ass. I just don't understand why people would drop $2k on an Axe Fx and not get the Torpedo instead. Very nice work my friend.

My sentiments exactly. Most who buy the axe add it to or replace a stable full of tube amps.

I say keep your amps as they still currently sound better than the axe. I tried the torpedo at last years ny amp show, it kicks all kind of ass but it better at that price tag.

The speaker/mic combos in the full version PI-101 are the same as the hardware VB-101 so any of those demos would apply.

http://soundcloud.com/two-notes/sets scroll down to Gundy Keller's files for the widest variety of tones and playing styles, Tristan Klein also has some chops as does our man Kenny.

I like the youtube where Tristan records at 2 am (1:38am to be precise) (in French but you can get the idea)

scroll to 8:17 for performance

Andy

Dear all,

I tried the torpedo at last years ny amp show, it kicks all kind of ass but it better at that price tag.

Just a FYI : we will be at the next NY Amp Show, and the price tag of the hardware units has been changed to match the US market.

NYbanner2011.jpg

By the way the PI-101 and PI-FREE are now in RTAS Format and recently updated, you may want to take a look at it. ;)

guillaume_pille":xkut2x8s said:
Dear all,

I tried the torpedo at last years ny amp show, it kicks all kind of ass but it better at that price tag.

Just a FYI : we will be at the next NY Amp Show, and the price tag of the hardware units has been changed to match the US market.

NYbanner2011.jpg

By the way the PI-101 and PI-FREE are now in RTAS Format and recently updated, you may want to take a look at it. ;)

How $?

VB-101 and VM-202 are now $1995 ea. USA and Canada

PI-101 is $289.95 and the boxed version includes an iLokII worth $50

and PI-FREE is still free :D

Most importantly, the plug in versions now run with Pro Tools under RTAS and the latest VB-101 firmware features a complete rewrite of the load compensation function. We've been getting raves from everyone who's heard the new version.

We'll also be giving away a free PI-101 (full version with ilokII) as part of the NY Amp Show's door prize package, If you're attending, make sure you get your name in the hat :rock:

Andy

Dear all,
I was asked for some help on tweaking the Torpedo PI-FREE and the PI-101.

First, even if it may sound boring, take a look at the user manual (one for both versions) so you will find some explanations on the various parameters you can access with the plugins :

http://www.two-notes.com/downloads/EN_MANUAL_torpedo_PI101.pdf

Make sure you always have the last, up-to-date version of the plugin and the manual.

First, there are two possibilities with the PI-FREE/101 plugins : using it with a preamp or using it with an amp with a load box

studio_montage_PI101_small.png

Please take attention on the fact that the some guitar/bass preamplifiers doesn't have a real line out (in terms of level and/or impedance). especially when you use the the FX loop of your amp, you may find the sound to be compressed and noisy, this may come from the design of the FX loop.

Let's talk about the first option, using the plugins with a preamplifier.

1- Setup and monitor the gain and volume in every stage of your DAW to make sure the only saturation/distortion is coming either from your preamp or the distortion stages of the plugin, not from digital saturation.
2- On the input stage of the plugins, the best would be to stay around 0dB
3- The power amp section :

This section is not part of the Torpedo technology witch is used for the speaker and miking simulation. The power amp is based on component/circuit modelisation : we give the user 4 types of tubes and 2 topologies (Single Ended or Push-Pull) based on the state-of-the-art tube amp design. For some explanations, please go to this Randall Aiken page witch is a good summary of the two options : http://www.aikenamps.com/SingleEnded.htm

- The volume has to be seen as the master volume of your amp : the more you push it the more you will get distortion and sag, as well as tonal modification (more bass mainly, depending on the tube models).
- Put Depth and Presence at 100% and use those parameters as filtering. Presence has an effect on the counter-reaction of the modelised amp, Depth is basic filtering. Please remember that having a lot of low frequencies in a guitar sound makes it hard to mix with other instruments (bass and drums mainly).
- The pentode mode will give you more distortion and bite than Triode mode (depending on the tube model)

We designed this part to be more important in the overall tone than most of the power amps you may find on the market. This is a deliberate choice, we hope you will like it. ;)

I look forward to giving this a try again. I had it downloaded right after it came out, but then fiddle-fucked my computer and reformatted. FYI, Two Notes is very responsive for their customer service. Impressive, and if I dig the free version I won't hesitate to buy the full.

Two Notes is very responsive for their customer service. Impressive, and if I dig the free version I won't hesitate to buy the full.

Thanks for the nice comment, we try to help our users as fast as we can. ;)

Right now there is a poll on the forum to decide if Two Notes deserves a special subforum, feel free to vote (YES !) here, so Rig Talk will become our official English speaking forum ;) :

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96891&p=1144939#p1144939

Last thing, one of our endorsed artist made a nice video showing how versatile a single amp can be, using the PI-101 and a Mesa Rectifier :

Back