John Norum gear walk through

JohnSykes":3pd7zy46 said:
MrDan666":3pd7zy46 said:
Those 2205's he uses are definitely stock, no mods other than different power tubes at that time. He no longer uses KT88's, he ditched them shortly after that tour and went with KT77's :thumbsup:

Mark Cameron was John's amp guy for quite some time and Mark confirmed those amps were indeed bone stock 2205's.

Also on the Another Destination CD that is pretty much all Cameron modded Marshall tone, aside from a couple of tracks.

He has a very interesting Schecter strat in the cover of that album, and on the booklet he is with a Superstrat with only 1 humbucker. Do you know anything about those guitars?

I also have an Europe DVD where they are very young, and he is playing a black Superstrat with 2 humbuckers.
IIRC Those were the Schecter natural series that came out years ago. I looked into them because of him and oddly enough I found them to be thin sounding. I liked the old Charvels much better at the time.

danyeo":189x5vcc said:
And one more pro who's using V30's. And what! No Charvel's! :LOL: :LOL:

Clueless idiot. He needs to get with the times and realise the internet does not like this speaker.

I think he mentioned he was using two amps split through a chorus pedal and then had a third for backup. The fourth was used by Joey. Oddly enough a guy I worked with told me he used to split his sound between JCM800 and a cheap solid state amp through a chorus pedal in the 80's. He said you haven't lived until you have tried this sound. Set them both up to the left and right of you and the sound is huge. (yes I am aware this is wet/dry, nothing new) I still haven't bothered but I'm thinking I might get an ABY box and do this so I can run my lynchbox wet and my JCM800 dry and see what type of trouble I can get into. The one thing that isn't explained though, is whether or not he runs one of those cabs dry. I am guessing he does. Those LExicons sound great though.

As for v30's, seems like more and more artists record with them or play with them live as I am guessing a great deal of the sound is mic'ed and sent through the PA's. This v30 seems to be a top choice for mic'ed speakers.

thenine":1l7pu73v said:
I always enjoy rig walkthoughs like this but I wish they were more detailed. What are the details on his delay? He is showing only one switch on his pedal board for his delay (no midi switcher) is he only using one delay setting? The biggest thing I always wonder about on these things, no boost? Does he get lead boost from the board only? I couldnt make his rig work for me w/o more gear as in my band I always need a boost.
This is what I was talking about in another thread. These guys do walkthroughs of their setups and tell you I split this and do that but they never show you how.

case and point...When he splits the amp is he sending the signal to the other marshall via going into the i/p jack of the second amp or is he going to the effects return? what's the setting on the chorus? What's the settings on the amps? If using a true split Does he eq the amps differently and blend both sounds?
How are the delays setup... What settings/ milliseconds? Multi delay or mono? Lead boost how?

This is the type of stuff that these guys learn from others that is not widely talked about. It's almost like it's assumed that you know and believe me, how you split the amp and how you set the chorus will make or break the sound. :yes:

Gainfreak":3o63y83n said:
thenine":3o63y83n said:
I always enjoy rig walkthoughs like this but I wish they were more detailed. What are the details on his delay? He is showing only one switch on his pedal board for his delay (no midi switcher) is he only using one delay setting? The biggest thing I always wonder about on these things, no boost? Does he get lead boost from the board only? I couldnt make his rig work for me w/o more gear as in my band I always need a boost.
This is what I was talking about in another thread. These guys do walkthroughs of their setups and tell you I split this and do that but they never show you how.

case and point...When he splits the amp is he sending the signal to the other marshall via going into the i/p jack of the second amp or is he going to the effects return? what's the setting on the chorus? What's the settings on the amps? If using a true split Does he eq the amps differently and blend both sounds?
How are the delays setup... What settings/ milliseconds? Multi delay or mono? Lead boost how?

This is the type of stuff that these guys learn from others that is not widely talked about. It's almost like it's assumed that you know and believe me, how you split the amp and how you set the chorus will make or break the sound. :yes:

Yes, thats EXACTLY what I mean. :doh:

reverymike":29qq2mpt said:
thenine":29qq2mpt said:
boost above his normal rythm tone. Boost to stand out above the mix when soloing,...

Enter Soundman.

yeah, which is why I said

Does he get lead boost from the board only? I couldnt make his rig work for me w/o more gear as in my band I always need a boost.

I didn't see any Lexicons. . .I saw a Roland SDE3000??

My bad, Roland SDE3000's it is.

Good point about the "how" they split their rigs as well. They quickly go over the signal path but don't really explain their settings on anything. That would be a REAL gear walkthrough.

Why would they want to give you every little detail (assuming they know), it's not in their best interest.

Some of them probably get annoyed by the chasers who to want to copy them down to the smallest minutia.

So they "skim the surface" when describing their rigs for the sake of pr and to throw a bone.

Just my theory... :LOL: :LOL:

Shiny_Surface":2wvinm6z said:
Why would they want to give you every little detail (assuming they know), it's not in their best interest.

Some of them probably get annoyed by the chasers who to want to copy them down to the smallest minutia.

So they "skim the surface" when describing their rigs for the sake of pr and to throw a bone.

Just my theory... :LOL: :LOL:
I think it has more to do with that they didn't think of it.

As far as copying, The rig he mentions in the video has been done forever.

Gainfreak":1xjdux7i said:

It's the cynic inside of me, can't help it. :LOL: :LOL:

I'm sure it's a mixture of factors depending on the specific artist. :thumbsup:

Shiny_Surface":liikr4yf said:
Gainfreak":liikr4yf said:

It's the cynic inside of me, can't help it. :LOL: :LOL:

I'm sure it's a mixture of factors depending on the specific artist. :thumbsup:

LOL! :thumbsup:

I think you are 100% correct about it being a mixture and it is most definitely depending on the specific artist!
Some guys will spill the beans (Like Petrucci) and others not so much :D

I can tell you from experiance that a lot of the 80's guys were secretive about how they got their sound.(no suprise their Im sure!)
What used to make me chuckle is that a lot of the guys who wouldn't tell you how to get a particular sound
were the same guys who told you that tone is in the fingers :hys: I used to drive them nuts by asking them if
it's all in the fingers then why wont you tell anyone what you are using? hahahaha :D

The ones who say "it's all in the fingers" usually have the most extensive gear lists you've ever seen and won't be caught dead without this piece or that piece.

The 2205 has indeed only three preamp valves and diode clipping. And his amps are stock except for the valves maybe. But he changes things often. Nowdays he uses a Silver Jubilee head also. Think it´s also a 50 Watter.

psychodave":2ae9jukp said:
I see four preamp tubes. Who cares... :LOL: :LOL: FWIW, I just learned the final countdown including the solo in the last hour. Cool song and its pretty easy. :thumbsup:

Piece of piss is what it is!

I used to play it live while I was sorting out other things like talking to the singer, wiping sweat away from my forehead, changing batteries in my wireless etc. :no:

EDIT:

Even the man himself puts a little Jazz in it... @0.15

Back