John Norum gear walk through

Kapo_Polenton":19ageay3 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z_1dsqJqXE

I can't be the only fan of his here. Awesome vibrato and I have always liked his phrasing. Kind of like a best of Shenker and Yngwie with a bit of his own thing going on as well. His gear? nice and simple. A guy who isn't afraid to use stock equipment and doesn't need to mod the hell out of everything he has. wah-chorus-tuner-old delay. v30's and channel switching 2205's with KT88's and he makes it happen. I guess this is another glowing endorsement for "tone is in the fingers" I guess because he has it. I also find it kind of funny that here we are spending hundreds on all these pedals and I bet him and Warren could grab an off the shelf SD-1 and make it rip through solid state fender practice amp.

Also note that he is from the Lynch era and his chops are still 100% in tact. :thumbsup: case in point.. warming up for a show on a crappy practice amp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9HUsQg_ ... re=related

Yeah that practice clip... :doh: Crazy good fingers that man has... :rock:

Chubtone":slv2f5ny said:
The ones who say "it's all in the fingers" usually have the most extensive gear lists you've ever seen and won't be caught dead without this piece or that piece.

What about slide players??? ;)

How in the hell does he split the signal with a stereo chorus pedal and not generate enough ground loop noise to empty the arena? No ground lifts, no ISO, no phase inversion?

Steve

steve_k":374yihvm said:
How in the hell does he split the signal with a stereo chorus pedal and not generate enough ground loop noise to empty the arena? No ground lifts, no ISO, no phase inversion?

Steve

I didn't see where his amps were plugged in...

Perhaps there IS a ground lift on one of the amp's plug ends

Perhaps one of the cables going to amp 2-- from the stereo chorus, has the ground lifted.

:dunno:

When I was using a stereo Boogie rig, I didn't have any ground loop issues, and I wasn't lifting any grounds anywhere, nor did I have iso transformers, nor phase issues.

Got to get me a $80 stereo chorus pedal now and have a monster sale of pedals and rack gear. That's cheaper than the ISO splitters, Bradshaw switchers, Y-Not, etc.....

duesentrieb":1z7jyefs said:
2 Hagens in stereo is all you'll ever need, Steve.

Looking damn forward to the first one for sure !!! I think mine is boxed and ready to ship according to Herr Diezel !!!

I will be knocking around Europe in August and back to Germany for some proper beer. Talked to Peter yesterday and will likely hop a train over to Bad Steben and pay a visit.

Steve

Cool. If I were you I'd rent a car though, Bad Steben is so far off everything, it could take ages by train :D
From Munich or Frankfurt you'll have a three hours drive (no speed limit, you know :D )

duesentrieb":2ntg4th8 said:
Cool. If I were you I'd rent a car though, Bad Steben is so far off everything, it could take ages by train :D
From Munich or Frankfurt you'll have a three hours drive (no speed limit, you know :D )

Stapfer's picking me up @ Frankfurt Mien now :thumbsup:

kasperjensen":39jt12th said:
psychodave":39jt12th said:
I see four preamp tubes. Who cares... :LOL: :LOL: FWIW, I just learned the final countdown including the solo in the last hour. Cool song and its pretty easy. :thumbsup:

Piece of piss is what it is!

I used to play it live while I was sorting out other things like talking to the singer, wiping sweat away from my forehead, changing batteries in my wireless etc. :no:

EDIT:

Even the man himself puts a little Jazz in it... @0.15

:LOL: :LOL:

I agree. My very first band used to do Final Countdown after it came out and I did that solo note-for-note. I'd only been playing for a year or two. I'm sure that Norum would rather play just about ANY of his leads note-for-note than that one. I much prefer the lead work from that album on tunes like "Ninja" and "Time Has Come". Anyways... I've been a huge Norum fan since his "Total Control" album. Yngwie was my guitar hero in those days and John did such an awesome job at sounding like him on "Eternal Flame" and then sounded completely different on a tune like his remake of "Wild One". The guy has awesome chops, great voice, and was even blessed with good looks. Friggin bastidge... ;)

Back