The BFG Snorkler Mod

briango2000

I was asked to build an amp to the original spec that Jerry used to record Facelift and Dirt...not just a copy of a current model. Since I'm a huge fan this was very enjoyable work and I've researched for a long time and recently came up with a few missing pieces to the puzzle. I think Bogner is one of the most talented designers in the game and this amp is a tribute to that. I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say...I think this is the best I've heard for nailing the early AIC tone. It just sounds right when I play it in the room. I always thought all of the elements were tough to capture...kind of a nasally honk, tight grind and lots of initial definition which blossoms into a loose, gritty sustain. This amp does all those things, and I'm sure Steve will be happy with it :rock:

This was a quick first take clip with a few mistakes. There is no post EQ, just a left and right track normalized and a small amount of reverb.

Snorkler.jpg

Thanks Brian and looking forward to it. FWIW, I was looking for a single amp to replicate what I think to be one of the top most interesting and unique tones which pleases me. I say one of the top, as there are several. This one though is one that gives me a stiffy and early Cantrell to me is right up my pipes and what I love to play. The Fish won't get it for me, even the Cantrell modded one (because it wasn't recorded on a Fish). Some Marshall mods get close, but I was thinking, what the hell - why don't one of the mod squad do me one? I had asked several guys about the Snorkler and if they had a schematic or knowledge of the mod. Brian, immediately stepped up to the plate, also being a Cantrell follower, was totally down with working on it.

So, take a stock JCM800, as was the original, a few weeks of Google, finding other sources of info and a soldering iron, out popped what we think is so close to the original that it is scary. The clips to me sound right on. That nasally, articulated, note or chord which breaks up as it trails off into some loose, grind - is spot on. Hopefully, it will be this good standing in front of it, and I am sure it will. Brian has a great infinity for translating into tone, what you describe to him. Also, I didn't want multiple switches, selectors, boosts, etc - just a plug and go masterpiece like the original studio amp.

We'll get it off into the wild blue yonder in a couple days and in my clutches. I am not a guy that is fond of signature anything and tone, and like to create my own, based on others - except AIC. I dig it and want it. Now, where did I put that damn Egnater S4 amp switcher. I am going to need it for some upcoming gigs with this bad boy.

Thanks Brian. Awesome job bro, and I will report in when it gets here and I start "bleeding the freak".

Steve

snork.jpg

Sounds GREAT!!!!

Just curious where the "Snorkler" name came from? I only ask because there's a Forum member here and on MTS who mods Modules, and calls his mod the Snorkler as well.

RockStarNick":2cgvu1a4 said:
Sounds GREAT!!!!

Just curious where the "Snorkler" name came from? I only ask because there's a Forum member here and on MTS who mods Modules, and calls his mod the Snorkler as well.

it's what Jerry called the amp he used on Facelift. He also showed up on MTV in a speedo, swim mask and a snorkel.

Did Cantrell have the Bogner modded marshall then. I thought it was JCM800's, 808 tubescreamer and a Seymour Duncan JB pickup?

RockStarNick":29pdxhg2 said:
Sounds GREAT!!!!

It was the original name given to the amp, because of the nasally voicing. I don't think it was anything but what they called it as an afterthought.

Steve

harddriver":3ehdwly8 said:
Did Cantrell have the Bogner modded marshall then. I thought it was JCM800's, 808 tubescreamer and a Seymour Duncan JB pickup?

It was a modded JCM 800 rented from Andy Brauer Rentals where Reinhold was working at the time, before Bogner Amplification was born. Apparently, there were two made. Well, now there's three and I am stealing the "Snorkler" for my JCM 800. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Don't know if this is all legit or not. Sounds convincing though. Then, there's that ocean front property in Arizona too. Don't know for sure the story. I know damn well it wasn't a Fish though. However, a guy in Italy owns the amp now, and his story jives with the trade of the half-stack and combo.

http://bognerampforum.informe.com/fish- ... dt706.html

Hello Fellas!Normally i dont do the forum thing but i have some interesting info to share.My name is Ronnie Champagne im a Producer/Engineer/Guitarist,i was in the Hollywood studio game from 1984 to 1998.I recorded Janes Addiction's "NOTHINGS SHOCKING"and 'RITUAL DE LO HABITUAL",as well as Dave Navarro and Eric Avery's "DECONSTRUCTION" for Rick Rubin.I also recorded ALICE IN CHAINS "FACELIFT" as well as SOCIAL DISTORTION and MY SISTERS MACHINE's "DIVA" and a few hundred more around the world as well as touring europe and africa and canada and the u.s.I just wanted to clarify what msr.Bogner has on his web site about the Fish and Jerry Cantrell.But lets backtrack a little.When i was recording "nothings shocking" i was using my own amps,a black face fender bassman 50,a late 70's,early 80's marshall jcm 800 50 and a silverface twin loaded with greenbacks.plus a 60's marshall 4x12 with greenies...i was getting great tones using a modified r.k.butler tube driver to hit my amps hard...anyways back in the day ANDY BRAUER RENTALS had some great gear so i used them all the time for extra tones,well we finished nothings shocking and i was listening to how un satisfied i was with the tones(they still rock though)so i got it by the grapevine that steve and joe and eddie had these mods done by this new guy,msr B.,when it came time to start preproduction on janes "ritual" i was told there was a modded marshall at brauers that i should check out...i did...and i wouldnt give it back!!!it was a jcm 800 just like the one i owned.So i took mine over to Brauers where Bogner was now working before he got funding for his own line...i asked him if he would do to mine exactly what he had done to this rental...he said no...i said you dont get this one back...i finally pleaded with him telling him that it was in his best interest considering i knew what was in the pipeline and i think we paid him double,hehe!any ways thats when the SNORKLER was born.it was originally a combo that i bought in canada in '83,used.Actually i traded a half stack for it and some dosh as i was moving to los angeles and didnt want to lug a half stack around...well the rest is history as they say...everyone who got to use my baby wanted to buy it from me.i think Jerry offered me 5 grand at one point a couple years after facelift went platinum because he couldnt get the tone from the bog's he got...my favorite tone is using a drop d tuning telecaster thru the snorkler and two 4x12's....its the voice of god!we used that combo alot on Facelift doubled with Jerry's G & L 's...my 69 les paul custom fucking kills it and my es 135 sounds like butter with fangs!!!Contrary to popular belief i always went straight into the snorkler and then mic into neve 1073 into la-2a direct to tape(studer a-800 16 track tw0 inch.)i used the fender bassman for clean tracks and slightly raunchy brown tones then left the solos for the SNORKLER.I recorded most of Jerry's solos and Lanes vocals at Capitol Studios hollywood studio "a".I put my 4x12 greenies in a stairwell,which made everyone go crazy!!!thats my style....and recorded the natural ambience so it sounded fucking real and HUGE...dont know if they will let me do that trick ever again!!!but hey i want to sell millions of records so they can suck it up,cuz i pay their wages!!!Anyways thats pretty much the set up i have used since 1990 or so...
So as far as the Fish pre amp goes,well thats not what we used,ever...I think my snorkler is one of the 6 best sounding amps ever made and they all were modded by rheinhold...hes a fucking genius.Its priceless to me,made me and others a lot of money just trying to crush some fucking skulls via ROCK GUITAR!!!...any questions?

Back