Marshall JCM800 2203 at low volumes, school me on jcm 800's

mrkmas

Can the Marshall jcm800 2203x sound decent at low volumes. I know all tube amps need to be cranked to sound their best, but can the 2203x sound decent at low volume/bedroom levels? Is it best to use the low input for lower volume, and the high input for high volume, or does that just come down to preference.

I had a Marshall TSL ( yes..i know :( haha) and only ever really used channel 1 and 2. If I need super gain, I would use a pedal. Not sure if this 2203x is something to look at to fit that need since I ditched the TSL.

As far as I know, by the time Marshall started calling their amps JCM's their circuit came stock with 470pF capacitors across the gain pot's in and out connections, this helps a bit especially if you have a NMV JCM. Other things that you can do are modify the master volume circuit by installing a pad resistor before the pot or modifying the pot value or both. Soft-clipping diodes on the MV are popular for a bit of extra saturation/volume cutting as well. The amount clipped can be tweaked for the optimum volume being played at. i.e. too much clipping on the MV circuit would mean that higher volume levels would sound over-saturated and dulled, but lower volume playing would probably be much improved. Too little clipping wouldn't make much difference to the perceived volume...

But yes, if need be that you have to play at tv volumes into a 2203 without modifying the circuit, a distortion pedal works fine. But then I'd tell you that you bought the wrong amp :D

In your opinion, what does the MV need to be set at for it to start sounding good?

For bedroom levels, would the attenuator just destroy the tone (assume the attenuator is a good one), or would that come down to how much db would be cut.

JakeAC5253":1egvmrq0 said:
But yes, if need be that you have to play at tv volumes into a 2203 without modifying the circuit, a distortion pedal works fine. But then I'd tell you that you bought the wrong amp :D

When I say bedroom levels, I certainly dont mean TV levels. Sorry, I should have been more specific. I know it is a very different amp, but a cranked Valve junior( just 5 watts) with volume at 2 O'clock is the bedroom amp I am used to ( and everyone else in the house :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ). I am currently ampless and was wondering if the 2203 would sound atleast decent at that volume level when I cant crank it.

mrkmas":34vgv1ki said:
In your opinion, what does the MV need to be set at for it to start sounding good?

For bedroom levels, would the attenuator just destroy the tone (assume the attenuator is a good one), or would that come down to how much db would be cut.
11~2 o'clock range is what I pretty much always used. Bedroom .... lots of amps are going to sound a lot better. Attenuator's sound best to get the volume down a bit and control it. Bedroom is questionable with any amp and attenuator.

mrkmas":2lelvrc6 said:

At a recent amp fest where we had about 3 Marshalls in the same room, I think they all sounded great right around 3 or 4. It's not that they sound bad at lower levels, they just don't sound as great! One of those things where you turn the amp on at whisper volume just to be nice to the neighbors/house inhabitants, but then you just keep eeking the volume up just a hair higher because you know it'll make the experience just that much better. Before long you are shaking the walls and foundation until the police show up and now you have a goofy grin on your face and a lump in your pocket :D but it was all worth it...

stephen sawall":e2e8ux3m said:
mrkmas":e2e8ux3m said:

11~2 o'clock range is what I pretty much always used. Bedroom .... lots of amps are going to sound a lot better. Attenuator's sound best to get the volume down a bit and control it. Bedroom is questionable with any amp and attenuator.

I also assume that setting is for the high input, or am I wrong?

If I remember for me, I was playing the amp with the MV set to 2, and that was about the bedroom level I am used to. I just cant remember if it was high or low input.

JakeAC5253":qt7sdf3x said:
mrkmas":qt7sdf3x said:

At a recent amp fest where we had about 3 Marshalls in the same room, I think they all sounded great right around 3 or 4. It's not that they sound bad at lower levels, they just don't sound as great! One of those things where you turn the amp on at whisper volume just to be nice to the neighbors/house inhabitants, but then you just keep eeking the volume up just a hair higher because you know it'll make the experience just that much better. Before long you are shaking the walls and foundation until the police show up and now you have a goofy grin on your face and a lump in your pocket :D but it was all worth it...

Haha, I have never had the cops called on me before, but I have played and had my dad tell me he heard the amp in the driveway :rock: :rock: :rock: . That was with the TSL though

mrkmas":3hloxx5m said:
I also assume that setting is for the high input, or am I wrong?
I never use the other inputs on Marshall's ... always the louder / brightest one on it. If I wanted cleaner sounds I would not be plugging into a Marshall ...

I will say the single channel 800's and earlier Marshall's are some of the best sounding amps ever made if you find a good one.

I recently tried a 2204 JCM800. No, no, and NO on low volumes, or even medium volumes. IMHO, if you're not in a band then don't bother with a JCM800.

I will need to try the amp again and see. As of now though, I think I have talked myself out of it. I want the amp so bad, but from what I am hearing dont think it will work out.

mrkmas":27m5sn18 said:
thanks for the advice so far.

Looking forward to more responses from everyone :)

They weren't obviously made for low volumes, but they aren't as bad at low volumes as some suggest from my experience.

The 2203x sounds fine at low volumes, they actually have a tat bit more gain than the originals imo.

And pedals are perfectly valid for low or high volumes, there are no rules.

Here is my old 2203x with volume under 1, boosted with a Boss SD-1.

The crappy camera mic makes it sound more tinny/trebly than it was in the room.

Here's my 2204, volume under 1 boosted with a SD-1.

Also, you can get some great clean tones from the low sensitivity inputs, just imo.

If there are no rules I could make a Mesa Stategy 500 the perfect 50/60 dB tool if I could add a other $30,000 in studio gear ...and custom build load boxes...

Shiny_Surface":vex1dv6t said:
mrkmas":vex1dv6t said:
thanks for the advice so far.

Looking forward to more responses from everyone :)

They weren't obviously made for low volumes, but they aren't as bad at low volumes as some suggest from my experience.

The 2203x sounds fine at low volumes, they actually have a tat bit more gain than the originals imo.

And pedals are perfectly valid for low or high volumes, there are no rules.

Here is my old 2203x with volume under 1, boosted with a Boss SD-1.

The crappy camera mic makes it sound more tinny/trebly than it was in the room.

Here's my 2204, volume under 1 boosted with a SD-1.

Also, you can get some great clean tones from the low sensitivity inputs, just imo.
Billion Dollar Babies :yes: :rock:
did not see that coming :LOL: :LOL:

danyeo":2grt019c said:
I recently tried a 2204 JCM800. No, no, and NO on low volumes, or even medium volumes. IMHO, if you're not in a band then don't bother with a JCM800.
As much as I like 2203's and 2204's, I would agree with this. I would wind up my 2203 to all of about 3, and that was more that enough volume for band rehersals with a bassist running a 1000 watt bi-amped rig and a second guitarist running a full stack.

You would be better off with a different amp if your using it just for playing at home.

I have an 83 2203 w/6550's. It goes without saying they sound better at louder volumes but from my experience, you can get a decent bedroom volume tone through a 4x12 with them. I use a SD1 and GE7.

Back