Marshall JCM800 2203 at low volumes, school me on jcm 800's

stephen sawall":3b9v71ee said:
mrkmas":3b9v71ee said:
In your opinion, what does the MV need to be set at for it to start sounding good?

For bedroom levels, would the attenuator just destroy the tone (assume the attenuator is a good one), or would that come down to how much db would be cut.
11~2 o'clock range is what I pretty much always used. Bedroom .... lots of amps are going to sound a lot better. Attenuator's sound best to get the volume down a bit and control it. Bedroom is questionable with any amp and attenuator.

If I use the high input, my 2204 will rip your face off with the master that high. And it doesn't get much louder after 1 o'clock or so.

Even 2 on the dial is pretty loud. Even with a loud drummer, I don't get the master up to 2. However, with aTS9 I can get a decent lower volume sound.

Schaf

Most 800's have the zero to too loud master volume knob. But, low volume and a good pedal works though. Fine amps.

danyeo":pcaza2du said:
I recently tried a 2204 JCM800. No, no, and NO on low volumes, or even medium volumes. IMHO, if you're not in a band then don't bother with a JCM800.

Strongly disagree with above (facepalm); I have a 2203 JCM800, don't play in a band and love playing it at home at low volumes. Works and sounds great!

AndyK":pcaza2du said:
Most 800's have the zero to too loud master volume knob. But, low volume and a good pedal works though. Fine amps.

This is what I do and it :rock: 's

Schaf":32xoza5w said:
stephen sawall":32xoza5w said:
mrkmas":32xoza5w said:
In your opinion, what does the MV need to be set at for it to start sounding good?

For bedroom levels, would the attenuator just destroy the tone (assume the attenuator is a good one), or would that come down to how much db would be cut.
11~2 o'clock range is what I pretty much always used. Bedroom .... lots of amps are going to sound a lot better. Attenuator's sound best to get the volume down a bit and control it. Bedroom is questionable with any amp and attenuator.

If I use the high input, my 2204 will rip your face off with the master that high. And it doesn't get much louder after 1 o'clock or so.

Even 2 on the dial is pretty loud. Even with a loud drummer, I don't get the master up to 2. However, with aTS9 I can get a decent lower volume sound.

Schaf
I use a THD Hot Plate to control the dB's in the room. I have owned a few 2204 since 1982, before the Hot Plate 10/11 o'clock is where I used the master live in bigger rooms....

Back