CCV MIDI Control Set-up & Operation

steve_k

I am using a Tech 21 MIDI Mouse. Cheap and doesn't take up my real estate on the board. There is no phantom power supplied by the MIDI board, so, your 5 pin cables will work. You can use a 7 pin, but the other legs are dead. There has been some talk about why it doesn't supply phantom power, but for those that don't know, various MIDI controllers take different power, whether AC or DC and different currents. These voltages and currents could affect the operation of the controller, or kill it or harm the circuit. So, rather than make it for a specific controller, you can power any controller from your pedalboard power.

1) Connect a 5 pin cable from the MIDI in (left facing).

2) Connect the other end of the 5 pin to your MIDI controller.

3) 9VDC power to your controller. I use a LASD ISOpack, but Voodoo works fine, as do others.

4) Power up the amp and controller.

5) There are 3 lights on the back of the amp for the RJM Midi board. The left one is CHANNEL select, the middle one is SOLO select and the right one is WRITE. For the Midi Mouse, set it to 1 (or whatever you want) and select the CCV channel 1 on the front of the amp where it is active. The CHANNEL select on the Midi board will light up RED. Press and hold the WRITE button for several seconds until it goes out and flashes.

6) Set the controller to 2 and set the CCV to Channel 2 on the front of the amp. The RED light on the left of the Midi board will have went off. Press and hold the WRITE button as you did in step 5.

7) Set the controller to 3 and active the center button on the Midi board until it lights up white. Press and hold the WRITE button as you did in step 5.

Now you are set. 1 will give you channel 1, 2 will give you channel 2 and 3 will give you channel 2 and solo boost.

VOILA........ :thumbsup:

IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

steve_k":pum32qui said:
There is no phantom power supplied by the MIDI board, so, your 5 pin cables will work. You can use a 7 pin, but the other legs are dead.

This is truly an unfortunate turn of events.

steve_k":pum32qui said:
There has been some talk about why it doesn't supply phantom power, but for those that don't know, various MIDI controllers take different power, whether AC or DC and different currents. These voltages and currents could affect the operation of the controller, or kill it or harm the circuit. So, rather than make it for a specific controller, you can power any controller from your pedalboard power.

Many amps supply phantom power for a specific voltage rating, mA and one of either AC or DC. It's too bad the CCV doesn't at least power some controllers out on the market. If a person happened to have a controller that was incompatable with what the CCV was putting out, he/she could have just used a 5 pin midi cable to avoid frying their controller..... :cry:

Now I'm off to buy a RJM Mini Amp Gizmo solely to use for phantom power from behind the amp..... :doh:

P.S. My rant aside, thanks for posting this, Steve! :thumbsup:

rlord1974":1v15cc4v said:
Now I'm off to buy a RJM Mini Amp Gizmo solely to use for phantom power from behind the amp.....
No need for this. As long as your board accepts MIDI phantom power on pins 6 & 7, it is as simple as connecting your board's power supply (or any suitable power supply) to these pins. I've made adapter cables for guys that are made up of a simple female DIN followed by a male DIN with the power supply tapped in and others wired through. Plug in the power supply on the amp side, plug in a standard cable from the board to the adapter, plug the adapter into the amp, and you're done!

Thanks, guys. The problem is I already have a professional snake and it does not have this type of midi cable integrated into it. I'm not really interested in untethering the whole snake in order to accommodate this type of midi cable.

I'm just going to buy the RJM. The added benefit of having the RJM is that it will allow me to channel switch pretty much any amp I have - or any amp I might get in the future - using the midi pedal already integrated within my pedalboard. :thumbsup:

HMMMMM not sure what problems you guys are having with your phantom power but mine works fine with a 7pin midi cable into my randall rf4 midi footswitch. It took all of 2 minutes to program the channel 1, channel 2 and the solo channel to buttons 1, 2 and 3 on the foot pedal. I did have to cut away some plastic from the midi cable end so it would go deep enough into the chassis to set into the connector on the midi board. Works like a charm. :rock:

232cap":i3tugt7k said:
HMMMMM not sure what problems you guys are having with your phantom power but mine works fine with a 7pin midi cable into my randall rf4 midi footswitch. It took all of 2 minutes to program the channel 1, channel 2 and the solo channel to buttons 1, 2 and 3 on the foot pedal. I did have to cut away some plastic from the midi cable end so it would go deep enough into the chassis to set into the connector on the midi board. Works like a charm. :rock:

Sweet! I KNEW it! And the Randall takes 9VAC, right?

little-brothers-devil-horns--large-msg-12741461186.jpg

There is a difference b/w the proto and production midi boards as my prod has only three buttons. Channel solo and store where the proto has 4. Also Art is right. Production model does provide phantom power.

The 3rd button is not wired on the Proto. My only design issue is that I wish it had loop bypass wired into the Midi board. There is a bit of tone change with it engaged/disengaged.

Steve

psychodave":1ubc9mwy said:
I'm so glad my CCV only needs this :LOL: :LOL: ...

mar2butt.jpg

What the HELL is THAT thing?! It looks like something my grandfather used to change channels on his old tube television back in the 50's...... :confused:

618260-very-old-tv-remote-control--the-first-generation.jpg

:hys:

steve_k":18hdc4po said:
The 3rd button is not wired on the Proto. My only design issue is that I wish it had loop bypass wired into the Midi board. There is a bit of tone change with it engaged/disengaged.

Steve

Ya see the big black knobs labeled.."Presence" "Bass" "Mid" "Treble"?? Turn em to the left or right and things will change a bit and maybe compensate for any difference the loop may make...I'm here ta help ya buddy!! :thumbsup:

Steve when you loop is in run your channel volume up to 10-11 oclock use the return on the back for the amp volume. Give it a shot.

232cap":ewmihjcg said:
Steve when you loop is in run your channel volume up to 10-11 oclock use the return on the back for the amp volume. Give it a shot.

Yeah, I have been all through it. Part of it is the Timefactor send level and finding the happy place :D

Volume wise it is OK. I lose a little bit of the bypassed tone, but not enough playing live to worry much about. While the loop is a good one, "zero loss" is still an oxymoron! I can work around it though... :thumbsup:

I was at the LA amp show and forget to ask, but can the effects loop be disengaged with a foot switch? I only use a Roland SDE 3000 for delay effects and can switch it on and off via the Roland. At least I have do this with my Engl Savage. I prefer to switch the loop via a footswitch on the amp I do not have my Cameron yet, so just asking in advance.

No switchable loop, just by switch on the back of the amp. It would be nice if you could switch the loop from the fs though.

232cap":2yepihqe said:

This is what I was hoping to hear. :thumbsup: I have plenty of RF footswitches & 7pin cables laying around.

steve_k":mrx0lvq9 said:
232cap":mrx0lvq9 said:

Yeah, I have been all through it. Part of it is the Timefactor send level and finding the happy place :D

Volume wise it is OK. I lose a little bit of the bypassed tone, but not enough playing live to worry much about. While the loop is a good one, "zero loss" is still an oxymoron! I can work around it though... :thumbsup:

Im with ya there Steve, that's why i run wet dry .... :D

Back