Egnater Rebel-20

GearHaven":34itbdb1 said:
blackthorn":34itbdb1 said:
Good small gigs amp, very versatile
I agree.

I have the Reb 30 1x12 and the clean tones are brilliant, beautiful.
Those clean tones are why I bought it.
It was between the newest Fender SuperSonic 22 1x12 and the Reb 30 combo, as both have a sweet and rich, dynamic harmonic tube tone.

But, my Reb has something wrong with it. I don't get that of gain from my amp as the video shows, not even close.
Best I can get is a good crunch ala early AC/DC and nothing more.
That demo shows a good amount of more gain than my Reb can muster.
But, as I said there is something wrong with mine.
Trying to get more gain I got a basic Boss Metal Core pedal, but when the distortion is set to max the amp goes flat and loses all of it's dynamics. There is plenty of volume, but even at low to high volume with max distortion it sounds bad.
Palm muted E or A string riffs sound like the speaker is torn and seems like someone cranked on heavy compression in a bad way.

If I could get the kind of gain in that demo video I may keep it, but it's obviously broken somewhere.
I would try another one, but my area Guitar Centers don't carry this amp, they have plenty of "Tweaker" though.

The OD channel is driven by both triodes in a 12ax7,try changing that tube i think it is v2 but check the tube layout at egnater.
You should be getting alot of gain,ive got more gain than needed but sino tubes distort horrible imop.

I've played a new version myself.
Awesome sounding amp. I dont quite like it when cranked up too much though. It can get fizzy.

Back