Midi programming problems

SSK0909

Hi, I'm new to this site :) I hope there's someone out there who can help me.

I bought a midi controller for my new Diezel VH4, but I can't get them to work together. This is my first midi amp + board, so I could be doing something wrong that is obvious to a more experienced user.

The board is a G-lab GSC-1 http://www.glab.com.pl/gsc_en. I connect it with the amp using a 5 pin midi cable (The board has it's own power supply) and then connect a jack cable between the amp and the "out" jack on the board.

I select my preset + bank on the board, go to the amp and pres the "store" button once, and then again to store the program, repeat with all 4 channels. But when i press the switches on the board afterwards nothing happens. The VH4 makes a little "popping" noice whenever i press a switch on the board, so I guess theres some kind of signal going through. Please someone help :)

Hi Jens.

I've already read through the manual and I have tried omni mode. Sadly it didn't make any difference, but perhaps i'm doing something wrong :)

Diezel US Support":1ch60czj said:
Then find the channel your board is set on and program that to the VH4 (see manual)

I'm terribly sorry, but I don't think I understand what you mean by "find the channel you board is set on"

As mentioned, the VH4 is my first midi compatible amp, and I have no experience with midi. So this is all new to me I'm afraid :)

I've set the VH4 to omni mode.
Everything on the midi board lights up and all the cables are brand new, so it is not a cable or power issue.
I switch to bank 1, preset 1 on the board. Switch to channel 1 on the VH4. Press "store", the button blinks, I press "store" again, it stops blinking.
I switch to bank 1, preset 2 on the board. Switch to channel 2 on the VH4. Press "store" twice. But then, if I press the "preset 1" button on my midi board, The VH4 is still on channel 2 and nothing is happening.

Please read section 7.4.2 and 7.4.3 in the VH4 manual ! Try automatic channel recognition first, then if no success try Manual Midi Channel Selection.

You need to find out what Midi channel your board is set on. Find that out in the board's manual or research the Internet. Most boards even have the possibility to manual set the Midi channel by using mini toggle switches. You need to know the board's channel for the Manual Midi Channel Selection (VH4 manual 7.4.3).

Just holler again if still no success.

Kind regards,

Jens

Diezel US Support":3ahnuzcr said:
Please read section 7.4.2 and 7.4.3 in the VH4 manual ! Try automatic channel recognition first, then if no success try Manual Midi Channel Selection.

You need to find out what Midi channel your board is set on. Find that out in the board's manual or research the Internet. Most boards even have the possibility to manual set the Midi channel by using mini toggle switches. You need to know the board's channel for the Manual Midi Channel Selection (VH4 manual 7.4.3).

Just holler again if still no success.

Kind regards,

Jens

Thank you so much for your help so far :)

I have tried several things now, but nothing seems to work.

Omni mode didn't work.

Automatic channel recognition didn't work.

I tried setting my board to midi channel 1 and then manually selecting channel one on my VH4 as in chapter 7.4.3 in the manual.

Perhaps the store program function on my VH4 is broken?

At this point it must be a broken Midi Chip. Please provide the Serial# of this amp. Please take the amp out of the shell, turn it upside down (put the transformers on books, so the powertubes don't touch anything) and take a photo of the Midi Chip which is on the left side (amp upside down, control knobs facing you), so I can read the chip's number engraved on the top. It most likely is "AT89S8252" .

Jens

I am located in Denmark. So perhaps I should contact Diezel in Germany?

I will take a look inside the amplifier tomorrow as it is past 9pm here in Denmark. I know the VH4 was bought pre-2001 if that helps.

You definitely have the old chip "AT89S8252" in there. You need to get the new chip version which requires a very minor modification (swap 2 capacitors).
Please e-mail Peter Diezel at peterdiezel(at)diezelamplification(dot)com . He already knows about you and will send you the chip with instructions.

Cheers,

Jens

Thank you very much for your help and your patience Jens.

I will let Peter know that you have been a great help in solving the problem :)

My buddy told me, that the glab stuff is complicated for programming.
I´m very sure it´s not the amp. Try another midi switcher and you´ll see.

It is possible that your pedal is having difficulties communicating with the VH4. I myself have a Midi Buddy that does not switch VH4s, but Herberts and Hagens. I use the Columbus now for all amp testing.

You could do 2 things:

1. Borrow another kind of midi pedal

2. Swap the old chip for a new chip version which most likely will do the trick with the G-Lab

Jens

Hello SSK0909,

i use the same g-lab controller with the VH-4 and never had problems. Did you set the controller correctly? You have to programm the midi program change to each button on the g lab individually!

best regards
Beda 3220

Now you have 3 options:

1. Let Beda 3220 help you program your G-Lab. If that does not make it work with the VH4 then:

2. Borrow another kind of midi pedal just to check if your chip is actually working. If that also does not work then:

3. Swap the old chip for a new chip version which most likely will do the trick with the G-Lab

Jens

Resurrecting an older thread, as I am trying to figure out how to make my VH4 work with my GLAB GSC 4 Controller. I tried everything with no luck, although the commands travel to my Mobius, Timeline and Big Sky perfectly. My VH4 is set to MIDI CHANNEL 2 and I cant figure out what to do in order to switch channels. Any ideas??

I had Glab and Herbert works fine. Make sure you program your glab correctly(that it actually sends midi PC command when you select preset) be sure to read manual and went through all options there.

Back