Egnater Vengeance: Played one today, REVIEW!

VESmedic

Well, I stumbled into guitar center today, just looking at noisegates, and happened to see a brand new Egnater Vengeance sitting there. I had totally forgotten about these amps coming out soon from Egnater, so I thought I'd give it a whirl :) Using A Les Paul, and there standard cabinet, full power mode (theres a switch for 60 or 120 watts). Amp came on the clean channel. WOW! This channel sounded great! Perfect chimey cleans, or could be dark and jazzy if you would like. I mean, just perfect chimey bell like cleans with a big full round bottom end, just fantastic. Turn the gain up, and it goes into marshallish crunch territory. The reverb is great, however, the taper on it was horrible. It gets REALLY wet, REALLY fast. Anything about 9 oclock was just simply way too much for my preference. Again, this clean channel destroys most high gainers in my opinion, sounded really phenominal. Also has bright, tightness, and mid selector switches. These are extremely useful and really change the tone, really liked it!

Channel 2: High gain channel, has the same features as the clean channel (bright, tightness, mid switches) As soon as I hit a powerchord, I knew this is an amp I would use. I really liked the mid in the "minus" mode, and boosting the midrange with the knob. It doesn't really scoop the mids in my opinion, but the mid "plus" mode, is just wayyy too much. Think of a 5150 with the mids on 10. However, you will definitely not have ANY problems cutting through with this thing. This is one of the TIGHTEST high gainers I've ever played, this thing was tighter than a frogs ass, right up there with VHT. It has GREAT low end, but it is very controlled. The tone instantly reminded me of a 5150 mixed with an Engl Savage. Engls seem to have the lows cut off around 100 or 150HZ, and this was EXTREMELY similar. It doesn't have that big whallop of mega low end like an uber or herbert, but it has more than you will need, just no real "sub bass" frequencies :) Seriously, very much reminds of an engl savage, however it is not hi fi at all, very organic I thought. THe 2nd channel is insanely versitile. I really liked tight mode, mids minus, and no bright switch. This gave me a nice dark rhythm tone, with HUGE chunk, and plenty of midrange to cut through the mix. The amp is very in your face, extremely punchy. Again, tightness on par with VHT, atleast with my setup and my playing I thought.

All in all, the amp is 1200 bucks new, and I think, worth every penny. It demolishes everything else in its price range I think personally. I love 5150s, but if you are looking at a brand new 5150/6505 head, or this, I would take this in a heartbeat. It can do everything the 5150 can but better, with a better clean. All around great amplifier, check one out.

Also this amp is DEAD QUIET! Seriously, ridiculous low noise, I really couldn't believe how quiet it was.

There was no armageddeon to play there unfortunately. Anyone know the differences?

university81":1z50wh43 said:
cool, i think the armageddon has 3 channels and also a built in ISP decimator as well as more eq controls

anyone have any idea about tone differences?

I played it too on 11/7. It was a nice amp and I particularly thougth the clean channel was great for a high gain amp. The drive channel was not to my liking to be honest, but then again I was playing through it with a ....strat which i am sure is not very ideal for an amp like this.

I do care man........ if I were after a high gainer I'd check either Vengeance or Armageddon. I REALLY like Egnater stuff :D

Joeytpg":3116kn0o said:
I do care man........ if I were after a high gainer I'd check either Vengeance or Armageddon. I REALLY like Egnater stuff :D

sweet man. Yea i've never really played the egnater stuff, but these amps REALLY caught my eye. Some GREAT features. The midcut feature on the armageddon is probably BETTER than the midcut on my herbert, as it allows you to BOOST the midrange also, something I wish the herbert could do. Sounds great!

VESmedic":1gi1cuw7 said:
Well, I stumbled into guitar center today, just looking at noisegates, and happened to see a brand new Egnater Vengeance sitting there. I had totally forgotten about these amps coming out soon from Egnater, so I thought I'd give it a whirl :) Using A Les Paul, and there standard cabinet, full power mode (theres a switch for 60 or 120 watts). Amp came on the clean channel. WOW! This channel sounded great! Perfect chimey cleans, or could be dark and jazzy if you would like. I mean, just perfect chimey bell like cleans with a big full round bottom end, just fantastic. Turn the gain up, and it goes into marshallish crunch territory. The reverb is great, however, the taper on it was horrible. It gets REALLY wet, REALLY fast. Anything about 9 oclock was just simply way too much for my preference. Again, this clean channel destroys most high gainers in my opinion, sounded really phenominal. Also has bright, tightness, and mid selector switches. These are extremely useful and really change the tone, really liked it!

Channel 2: High gain channel, has the same features as the clean channel (bright, tightness, mid switches) As soon as I hit a powerchord, I knew this is an amp I would use. I really liked the mid in the "minus" mode, and boosting the midrange with the knob. It doesn't really scoop the mids in my opinion, but the mid "plus" mode, is just wayyy too much. Think of a 5150 with the mids on 10. However, you will definitely not have ANY problems cutting through with this thing. This is one of the TIGHTEST high gainers I've ever played, this thing was tighter than a frogs ass, right up there with VHT. It has GREAT low end, but it is very controlled. The tone instantly reminded me of a 5150 mixed with an Engl Savage. Engls seem to have the lows cut off around 100 or 150HZ, and this was EXTREMELY similar. It doesn't have that big whallop of mega low end like an uber or herbert, but it has more than you will need, just no real "sub bass" frequencies :) Seriously, very much reminds of an engl savage, however it is not hi fi at all, very organic I thought. THe 2nd channel is insanely versitile. I really liked tight mode, mids minus, and no bright switch. This gave me a nice dark rhythm tone, with HUGE chunk, and plenty of midrange to cut through the mix. The amp is very in your face, extremely punchy. Again, tightness on par with VHT, atleast with my setup and my playing I thought.

All in all, the amp is 1200 bucks new, and I think, worth every penny. It demolishes everything else in its price range I think personally. I love 5150s, but if you are looking at a brand new 5150/6505 head, or this, I would take this in a heartbeat. It can do everything the 5150 can but better, with a better clean. All around great amplifier, check one out.

Also this amp is DEAD QUIET! Seriously, ridiculous low noise, I really couldn't believe how quiet it was.

There was no armageddeon to play there unfortunately. Anyone know the differences?
Armageddon is 3 channels, but 2&3 are the same as channel 2 on vengeance, built in isp g string, mid cut is different

As far as tone differences, they are very similar. Features are going to be the main difference between the 2 models. Most of them have been covered already, but the Armageddon has 3 channels instead of 2, built in Decimator, fully adjustable mids section instead of the preset switches, and MIDI functionality. You may notice a little more gain in the Armageddon, if you play them side by side, but it's really nothing major that you would notice unless you were A/B switching the amps. Also, the Armageddon has the "mood lighting" on the front panel, so you can see controls easier if you're on a dark stage.

Stopped by GC today and tried a Vengeance today. It was in one of the rooms so I was able to play it pretty loud briefly. Very cool amp. It sounds very cool. I really liked the clean channel too. Got a nice bright punchy tone with the neck pickup in the LP I was playing. Dirty channel was very cool I can't say it sounds like any other amp i've played. Even with the gain up pretty high, it didn't mud out. Was easy to get some really thick and beefy tones with the treble turned down. I also like the mid switch in the - position and had the mids knob around 1 o'clock. I would definitely buy this over a 6505/6505+ head. I used to own one for several years and I like them, but if I were in the market, I would take the Vengeance. Some cool features on the back too. Looked like external bias test/adjustment. Very cool sounding amp. Great looks too.

Back