herbert parallel loop

davodz

hi guys! am new to rig talk.

just got my hands on a herbert mkII (made 2004). has been treated extremely well by original owner. love it. have a question though.....have noticed that the parallel loop knob at rear of head is always active, i.e. even with no effects, etc hooked up, if i move the dial left or right it alters the character of the sound. is this a normal feature?

have read just about every article there is on the herberts but have never come across this feature. i realise that if you hook up effects, etc that the knob is needed to compensate for tone but i find it weird that it still alters character of amp with NO effects plugged in.

any comments welcomed!

cheers.

Welcome to the board :rock:

In 2004 there were only the MK1 series and
the knob on the back should not effect the
sound level. But no big deal if it don´t sounds
worse.

Thanx Peter!

Interesting...the date on the circuit board says 02/03/04. I'm guessing this is the manufacturing date? Is this still a mark I?

Also, could you give an explanation as to why you think the parallel loop knob is constantly on? Can it be fixed?

Ps. Used it live for the first time last night..it was awesome!

Cheers from Melbourne Australia!

davodz":3lj7llou said:
Thanx Peter!

Interesting...the date on the circuit board says 02/03/04. I'm guessing this is the manufacturing date? Is this still a mark I?

Also, could you give an explanation as to why you think the parallel loop knob is constantly on? Can it be fixed?

The Herbert MK2 production started in late 2010 so your Herbert is definitely a MK1 model. There maybe some confusion about that because some people called older models also MK2 because of the differences concerning bias adjustment from outside. Officially however everything prior late 2010 is Herbert MK1.

The parallel loop poti acts as a mixer between the dry preamp signal and the processed effect signal. It doesn't change the signal amplitudes. The parallel loop gets activated when you plug something into its jacks.

Hope that helped a bit.

davodz":xgnag7wt said:
Thanx Peter!

Is there anything plugged into the parallel return ?

I don´t know what happened with the amp. Maybe
somebody "fixed" it.

thanx for the clarification mourningengine! actually just found a link posted by peter a while ago announcing the arrival of the first mk11 which was back in 2010.....cheers.

re the parallel knob am familiar with its function but the difference here is that nothing is plugged in to the jacks.....!! and based on last peter's reply it seems that this is not a normal thing to be happening.....

although, i must say that it adds a cool new feature that is probably only on my head!! i find that at about 2 o'clock i get an added/different richness. love it!

what do you think peter, maybe a new feature for the next amp?????

thanx guys for your help. will keep you posted with how amp is travelling once i use it more live!

cheers again from down under!

Hi

I have also the same "problem".

I believe it has something to do with this:
Switch-able Loop as additional Volume Control
Those of you who can live without processors in the parallel loop can use this loop for a second master volume for each channel.
To do this, just loop a short 1/4” cable from the switch-able send to parallel loop return. Now you can choose a second master volume by turning the mix control past 1:00 PM to full open, and push the ‘ Loop” button to activate your second master volume. Now, with the loop activated, the mix control can act as another way to control volume.

That is exactly how my amp is behaving when i engage loop switch in front of amp. Amps mix at 9 o'clock it is already increasing output volume.

Also tried with only Ditto x4 looper in the effects loop but still the same behaviour ?

I'm using Herbies loop as Switchable send -> TC Electronic effect pedals -> Parallel return. Amps mix set to 100% wet.

How do u guys put effect pedals in parallel loop ?

I now own in connecting order TC:s Corona chorus -> Flashback delay -> Hall of fame reverb. All are in above mentioned switchable parallel loop.
All in true bypass mode and kill dry setting engaged.

Regards
Matias

I found this on TC Electronics site:

Toneprints pedals: Two (or more) pedals in a parallel loop

Question

Is it possible to connect two pedals (i.e. a Flashback and a Hall of fame) in the parallel loop of an amp?

Answer

It is not possible to use more than one pedal in a parallel loop if they are connected in serial -

When you set a single pedal in a parallel loop, you need to set it in kill-dry mode so that only the wet signal comes out to be mixed with the amp direct signal-

Also when you bypass the pedal, you don't want any dry signal passing back to mix with the direct signal - (that will double the dry signal and can create some phase problems). In bypass mode, no signal will come out from the pedal.

If you connect a second pedal after the first one, it should also be in Kill-dry (same reasons as the first pedal). But since the first one is also in Kill dry,
1.If the first pedal is ON, the second pedal still does not get the dry signal to create the effect. The effect of the second pedals only applies to the wet signal
2.If the first pedal is in bypass, there is no signal at all reaching the second pedal
3.If the first pedal is ON, but the second is OFF, no effect from the first pedal will pass through-

NOTE: There is no way to make this possible with a software update, because there is no way to connect the units digitally.

Solution:
1.The easy solution : use a serial loop (or set your amp loop in serial if possible) and set the pedals with kill-dry = OFF - Since the pedals are true bypass and analog dry through, that should NOT affect your tone.
2.The complicated solution: In a parallel loop you would need to connect a mixer where each pedal receives the dry signal from the loop send, then you can mix the wet signals from each pedal to the Loop return that will be in his turn mixed with the direct signal of the amp.

Back