CCV MIDI Control Set-up & Operation

steve_k":31htc5xo said:
I am using a Tech 21 MIDI Mouse. Cheap and doesn't take up my real estate on the board. There is no phantom power supplied by the MIDI board, so, your 5 pin cables will work. You can use a 7 pin, but the other legs are dead. There has been some talk about why it doesn't supply phantom power, but for those that don't know, various MIDI controllers take different power, whether AC or DC and different currents. These voltages and currents could affect the operation of the controller, or kill it or harm the circuit. So, rather than make it for a specific controller, you can power any controller from your pedalboard power.

1) Connect a 5 pin cable from the MIDI in (left facing).

2) Connect the other end of the 5 pin to your MIDI controller.

3) 9VDC power to your controller. I use a LASD ISOpack, but Voodoo works fine, as do others.

4) Power up the amp and controller.

5) There are 3 lights on the back of the amp for the RJM Midi board. The left one is CHANNEL select, the middle one is SOLO select and the right one is WRITE. For the Midi Mouse, set it to 1 (or whatever you want) and select the CCV channel 1 on the front of the amp where it is active. The CHANNEL select on the Midi board will light up RED. Press and hold the WRITE button for several seconds until it goes out and flashes.

6) Set the controller to 2 and set the CCV to Channel 2 on the front of the amp. The RED light on the left of the Midi board will have went off. Press and hold the WRITE button as you did in step 5.

7) Set the controller to 3 and active the center button on the Midi board until it lights up white. Press and hold the WRITE button as you did in step 5.

Now you are set. 1 will give you channel 1, 2 will give you channel 2 and 3 will give you channel 2 and solo boost.

VOILA........ :thumbsup:

IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

Midi Moose!! :rock:

rlord1974":1jujbxlm said:
232cap":1jujbxlm said:
HMMMMM not sure what problems you guys are having with your phantom power but mine works fine with a 7pin midi cable into my randall rf4 midi footswitch. It took all of 2 minutes to program the channel 1, channel 2 and the solo channel to buttons 1, 2 and 3 on the foot pedal. I did have to cut away some plastic from the midi cable end so it would go deep enough into the chassis to set into the connector on the midi board. Works like a charm. :rock:

Sweet! I KNEW it! And the Randall takes 9VAC, right?

little-brothers-devil-horns--large-msg-12741461186.jpg

Just to confirm; 7 pin MIDI cable -> Randall RF3 = success. Super easy to program as well. 1 CH1, 2 CH2, 3 SOLO. I didn't have to trim any insulation off my cable.

drewiv":1lha3nvi said:
rlord1974":1lha3nvi said:
232cap":1lha3nvi said:
HMMMMM not sure what problems you guys are having with your phantom power but mine works fine with a 7pin midi cable into my randall rf4 midi footswitch. It took all of 2 minutes to program the channel 1, channel 2 and the solo channel to buttons 1, 2 and 3 on the foot pedal. I did have to cut away some plastic from the midi cable end so it would go deep enough into the chassis to set into the connector on the midi board. Works like a charm. :rock:

little-brothers-devil-horns--large-msg-12741461186.jpg

Just to confirm; 7 pin MIDI cable -> Randall RF3 = success. Super easy to program as well. 1 CH1, 2 CH2, 3 SOLO. I didn't have to trim any insulation off my cable.
So you're uncircumcised? :LOL: :LOL:

LP Freak":2m1pg2l3 said:
drewiv":2m1pg2l3 said:
rlord1974":2m1pg2l3 said:
232cap":2m1pg2l3 said:

Just to confirm, I didn't have to trim any insulation off my cable.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :checkthisout: :checkthisout: :checkthisout: :checkthisout:

steve_k":3fa94his said:
LP Freak":3fa94his said:
drewiv":3fa94his said:
rlord1974":3fa94his said:
232cap":3fa94his said:

Just to confirm, I didn't have to trim any insulation off my cable.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :checkthisout: :checkthisout: :checkthisout: :checkthisout:
ahem.......

232cap":2d9e4een said:

232cap, what kind of Midi Cable did you use? I just ordered the Rocktron 7-pin Phantom cable along with the rf4 midi footswitch for my soon to be shipped CCV.

metalmaniac93":2nuus9hc said:
232cap":2nuus9hc said:

232cap, what kind of Midi Cable did you use? I just ordered the Rocktron 7-pin Phantom cable along with the rf4 midi footswitch for my soon to be shipped CCV.
The Rocktron cable works great and fits fine into the CCVand the rf4. You are set.

rlord1974":6y5op6u5 said:
steve_k":6y5op6u5 said:
There is no phantom power supplied by the MIDI board, so, your 5 pin cables will work. You can use a 7 pin, but the other legs are dead.

This is truly an unfortunate turn of events.

steve_k":6y5op6u5 said:
There has been some talk about why it doesn't supply phantom power, but for those that don't know, various MIDI controllers take different power, whether AC or DC and different currents. These voltages and currents could affect the operation of the controller, or kill it or harm the circuit. So, rather than make it for a specific controller, you can power any controller from your pedalboard power.

A little late on the post (I've had the CCV for almost 4 months now :doh: ) but just hooked up a Rocktron Midi Mate and there is phantom power available. My amp was from the 1st run. Need to use 7 pin.

JackTripper":3p417vx7 said:
rlord1974":3p417vx7 said:
steve_k":3p417vx7 said:
There is no phantom power supplied by the MIDI board, so, your 5 pin cables will work. You can use a 7 pin, but the other legs are dead.

This is truly an unfortunate turn of events.

steve_k":3p417vx7 said:
There has been some talk about why it doesn't supply phantom power, but for those that don't know, various MIDI controllers take different power, whether AC or DC and different currents. These voltages and currents could affect the operation of the controller, or kill it or harm the circuit. So, rather than make it for a specific controller, you can power any controller from your pedalboard power.

A little late on the post (I've had the CCV for almost 4 months now :doh: ) but just hooked up a Rocktron Midi Mate and there is phantom power available. My amp was from the 1st run. Need to use 7 pin.

Yep, the production models got it.

232cap":3c1dz9r1 said:
The randall will work with 9-12v ac or dc.

I bought one 2 months ago, but have not messed with it much since my CCV is not here yet. I assume you have to take apart the unit to put a battery in it since i did not see a battery compartment.

metalmaniac93":8o4kw1s7 said:
232cap":8o4kw1s7 said:

I bought one 2 months ago, but have not messed with it much since my CCV is not here yet. I assume you have to take apart the unit to put a battery in it since i did not see a battery compartment.
Its phantom powered from the CCV. No batteries or adapter needed. The Randal 4 button is an excellent made pedal. Don't think its cheap. The switches are tight and have a short throw. Very nice pedal.

glip22":2jl2rwkt said:
metalmaniac93":2jl2rwkt said:
232cap":2jl2rwkt said:

Its phantom powered from the CCV. No batteries or adapter needed. The Randal 4 button is an excellent made pedal. Don't think its cheap. The switches are tight and have a short throw. Very nice pedal.

Yep, Gary is right on the money. NIce piece of kit, for sure.

jcj":18mfwv23 said:
glip22":18mfwv23 said:
metalmaniac93":18mfwv23 said:
232cap":18mfwv23 said:

Indeed. The RF3 & RF4 are great footswitches. I ran into them only because of my use of my MTS, I probably would have never tried them otherwise. Now, I hoard them.

drewiv":ytlvj9oq said:
jcj":ytlvj9oq said:
glip22":ytlvj9oq said:
metalmaniac93":ytlvj9oq said:
232cap":ytlvj9oq said:

Indeed. The RF3 & RF4 are great footswitches. I ran into them only because of my use of my MTS, I probably would have never tried them otherwise. Now, I hoard them.
You a hoarder :confused: I never would have thought that.
:LOL: :LOL:

I was looking for specs on the dimensions for the rf3 and 4 but could not find them anywhere. Seems like they take up a bit of space. I am currently looking into what midi pedal to use.

glip22":3esgesfe said:
You a hoarder :confused: I never would have thought that.
:LOL: :LOL:
Yup. :yes: I think there are a few of us around here have simlilar issues. :LOL: :LOL:

50MkII":3esgesfe said:
I was looking for specs on the dimensions for the rf3 and 4 but could not find them anywhere. Seems like they take up a bit of space. I am currently looking into what midi pedal to use.
On the contrary, they are quite small if you are comparing them to midi controllers such as the MidiMate and similar. If you're interested I can measure the RF3 & RF4 later. Also, they seem to be built really well. I have not had an issues with any that I have used.

Back