Motor City Pickups!

DET1973

I have been an EMG 81 user since 1994. I'm wondering what MCP will get me close to that tone. I've considered buying a used Gibson les paul standard to use as my passive guitar to try out Different pickups. I also really like what i've heard from the Dimarzio SD. I'm playing through a Marshall 2555 Slash Sig Jubilee into a Marshall 1960BHW cab with the Heritage G12H30's. I tune down a whole step to D standard and i play punk rock/Hardcore. Think Bad religion Meets Madball.

DET1973":mm7fkzz0 said:
I have been an EMG 81 user since 1994. I'm wondering what MCP will get me close to that tone.
Not sure what you're after here...why not just use the EMG if that's what you like? I believe Dimarzio makes a passive that sounds and feels like an active...you may want to look into that if you're set on getting away from EMG.

rupe":49mipet3 said:
DET1973":49mipet3 said:
I have been an EMG 81 user since 1994. I'm wondering what MCP will get me close to that tone.
Not sure what you're after here...why not just use the EMG if that's what you like? I believe Dimarzio makes a passive that sounds and feels like an active...you may want to look into that if you're set on getting away from EMG.

Not set on getting away from that tone, just wanna try something new.

I just put a super distortion in one of my ebmm axis'. It's becoming my favorite guitar now. A little compressed, clear, tight and nice and crunchy :thumbsup:

fwiw, I had a afwayu in it before but found it to be super hot and bright. Sent it back to Wade and he tweaked it and it was a million times better but not quite there. Looking back I wish I would have never sold it after that. It was so close to being perfect but I couldnt bring myself to send it back again...even though Im sure he wouldve fixed it up for me. I just hate being a pain in the ass to people :no:

Passive EMG?
You want a Dimarzii D-Activator.

Dont think MCP will work for you. Maybe try Solution, but it might be too bright

I'm going to make a suggestion to a couple that I know will nail that sustain & power factor of the emgs...
The Motor City Pickups Garuda which is a modern series humbucker with lots of power & thickness or the Motor City Pickups Zeus which is in the extreme series humbucker with lots & lots of power & sustain to it.
Those are both brand new pickups, the solution also wouldn't be a bad choice but the voicing is slightly brigher in that one than the emgs. Give Wade a call @ 734.535.4590 & he can explain to you more about these new pickups which will see their grand unveiling with the new site which we are working hard on getting wrapped up right now. But for my buck, stay away from the dimarzios, they'll give you the power but you'll get other weird undesired results with them as well.
-Brent

TIBrent":lkne6c35 said:
Give Wade a call @ 734.535.4590 & he can explain to you more about these new pickups which will see their grand unveiling with the new site which we are working hard on getting wrapped up right now. But for my buck, stay away from the dimarzios, they'll give you the power but you'll get other weird undesired results with them as well.
-Brent
+1...best way to answer your questions. Wade is the best.

Hey Guys,
I ordered a pair of pickups from Motor City about 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten an invoice or any confirmation that they have my order other than the paypal one stating I sent them money. I tried emailing them a couple times and sent them a FB message, but no reply. Does anyone know a number to call? Should I just wait another 3 weeks before disputing the charge with paypal?

Hey Guys,
I ordered a pair of pickups from Motor City about 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten an invoice or any confirmation that they have my order other than the paypal one stating I sent them money. I tried emailing them a couple times and sent them a FB message, but no reply. Does anyone know a number to call? Should I just wait another 3 weeks before disputing the charge with paypal?
I’ve heard Wade is always super busy, and backed up…he’s also not the best communicator. But people always get their order. I would wait until the very last minute to hear back. Unless you want to go in a different direction.

Ive ordered from Wade a bunch of time over the years. Even before covid, its always been a 10-12 week wait. Yes, Wade has a history of not answering emails and 10-12 weeks later your PUs show up. To be fair, hes always told me during initial emails when placing the order.... 12 weeks. Keep in mind he is a one man shop.

Back