New WOS user - Is there a complete CAB list?

AndrewSimon

I just started my 15 day WOS demo today.... and I'm impressed. :thumbsup:
I say that because the Torpedo-PI Free didn't really do it for me.
So if anybody else is not impressed by the free version get an iLok2 and try the full product.

Questions:
-Is there a full list of all the CABS with speaker drivers used in them (I do have a partial list)
-About that "Amplifier List".... is the idea to match the original design of the amp recorded?
I mean, I can hear the difference but why is there an output tube modeling... didn't we already recorded the
"real output tubes" when we recorded the amp?

;)

The power amp modeling is mostly for those of us using stand-alone preamps such as the Marshall JMP1, Mesa Triaxis or Recording, Randall or Egnater MTS, etc, though of course you can use it with anything you like (being careful to properly load a tube head if using it's FX Send/Preamp Out, or Keyboards, Vocals, whatever?). The power amp modeling is GREAT IMO!

I'd check the Two Notes site for cab lists, plus you can use third party IR's as well (such as OwnHammer and Redwirez, without the real-time mic moving feature of course).

-Is there a full list of all the CABS with speaker drivers used in them (I do have a partial list)

Yes sir ! The cab list is the same for every product (except the Bass/modern/Vintage versions of the plugin, only 12 models each) :

http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-cab/#cabs

is the idea to match the original design of the amp recorded?

Check out the PI-101 or Live manual about that, the idea is to give "typical" power amp configuration (tubes, circuit type, parameters) if you want to use a pedal or a preamplifier before the TORPEDO product.

The Sound on Sound team came to our booth this week at the Musikmesse and gave me a great idea : it's easy to setup a clean sound on an amp and use the power amp of the TORPEDO live to add some extra "color". The result is just awesome, I recognize that I am a little hurt not to find it by myself. ^^

djd100":fz58qeew said:
The power amp modeling is mostly for those of us using stand-alone preamps such as the Marshall JMP1, Mesa Triaxis or Recording, Randall or Egnater MTS, etc, though of course you can use it with anything you like (being careful to properly load a tube head if using it's FX Send/Preamp Out, or Keyboards, Vocals, whatever?). The power amp modeling is GREAT IMO!

I'd check the Two Notes site for cab lists, plus you can use third party IR's as well (such as OwnHammer and Redwirez, without the real-time mic moving feature of course).

DJD- how different in Recording actual use is a good Guitar Tube Pre versus a Head in the final result for singing gain tones?

I'm trying to assess whether we need Power Tubes in the signal chain or not- not enough clips yet to know.

Also no clips of someone playing while someone dials through the Cab IRs on the unit.( ?)

Hi Robert, I know exactly what you mean and what you're looking to hear but what we want to avoid is the typical music store keyboard demo situation where someone just hits a "c" 3/4 up the keyboard while scrolling patches with their left hand (80% + of the sounds are not heard in the context they were meant to be heard in).

Imagine asking a photographer to just show a series of shots while quickly swapping out some specialized lenses.

Each speaker microphone combination needs to be "focused" in the context of the signal input and it's surroundings. For example, a harsh cabinet needs to be matched with a smooth mic and a smooth cabinet needs a harsh mic in order for the result to have a similar impact. This applies to all microphones and all instruments....

check out this amazing read: http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/ for a more comprehensive discussion on this concept + tons of other secrets of great recordings

One could apply the same principle to a painter choosing his paints and brushes/knives or a chef choosing his ingredients and spices.

What we want to do is show a particular style of guitar playing and then show how Torpedo could offer a whole variety of vastly different tones and attitudes....to revisit the analogy of the camera; to swap lenses and re-focus the new lense to best capture the subject

Andy

Hi Robert...

It's usually very important as the power tubes, output transformer, and speaker/cab combo all react sympathetically to create the tones we know and love, though there are a couple of points to consider.

a) Modern high gain amps typically do not rely as much on power amp compression and distortion as their tones are mostly created in the preamp (later Santana through modern metal etc).

2) Vintage style amps usually do rely on their power amp's distortion and compression for creating their tone (UK blues rock through 80's hair metal etc "generally speaking").

It's of course all subjective as all tone debates are, but in my opinion the tube power amp contribution is critical for the types of tones I love (singing mid-gain through pushed mid-gain), plus critically important to the feel in all cases.

The Two Notes power amp sims work great for me, and allow me to have that sound at any volume without the weight penalty that a real tube power amp has (heavy chassis to support heavy high-voltage transformers, and tube power amps can only get the sound you want when pretty much maxed out on volume which isn't always practical etc).

Tube heads are both a tube preamp and a tube power amp together, while of course a tube preamp is just the preamp section alone. Using a tube preamp with the Two Notes power amp sims is a marriage made in Heaven for me (and the cab/speaker sims are great too).

NOTE: In my opinion for best sound with the Two Notes power amp sims start with the presence control at max and work from there.

robertkoa":3k02arku said:
djd100":3k02arku said:

DJD- how different in Recording actual use is a good Guitar Tube Pre versus a Head in the final result for singing gain tones?

I'm trying to assess whether we need Power Tubes in the signal chain or not- not enough clips yet to know.

Also no clips of someone playing while someone dials through the Cab IRs on the unit.( ?)

Thanks for the responses- yes Sysexguy- that makes sense that merely dialing through the Cabs ( IRS ) without adjusting the entire system to optimize them wouldn't be fair or accurate to how good they can be, perhaps a series of Cab IR Demos which are NOT in real time where the entire signal chain is adjusted for each Cab.

djd- Thanks for the response- although I like the effect of a loud Power Amp "sag" etc. - I've never liked to be in the room with high SPLs ( sound pressure ) so if using a good Tube Pre with the Power Amp sims is almost as good as loading down the output section of an entire Head - that would be a big endorsement for Two Notes.

Since you're getting good results with the Power Amp sims also with Preamps- that's a good sign.

It would also be another way to record - and I'm curious as to how well the Mako Mak 4 preamp( don't have one yet but it's on my Radar ) would work with these systems- I like the idea of not using a Computer for IRs......and being self contained in the Big Studio etc.

Back