Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Apr 24, 2014 3:49pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Legato lessons??
PostPosted: Sat, Mar 24, 2012 5:22pm 
Plank Cranker

Can someone point me in the direction of some good, comprehensive legato lessons?

I love how smooth it sounds and I've kinda been focusing more on alternate picking lately. So I'd like to change things up and hopefully incoporate some legato into my "style". I LOVE how Mark Tremonti and Satch use it in their playing. :thumbsup:

The only video I came across that helped was one by Mark Tremonti, but I'm sure there are others out there that can help me even more. :yes:

Thanks!
Jordan :rock:

Friends/Smooth Deals (Rig-Talk and TGP):
irondeth21; mbman; manray03; hthomas; MYLILSS; mcdes(TGP); Kriskov9(TGP); williamh(TGP); whoismarykelly(TGP); Jimbo72; geek-mo(TGP)

Post subject: Re: Legato lessons??
PostPosted: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 8:34am 
Supah Stah

Good Trades with Cyndicate,jlbaxe,drjenkins,gbsmusic,and others about 300 others
My studio shit http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=948146
Quickrod,fender supersonic head,carvin legacy 3 powerball II Fryette
4 fender USA strats
Too many fukin MM guitars
Mesa Royal atlantic, fender cyber amps.
1 Red head wife
1 Student Loan
150 nos tubes and still counting and selling
Mesa Stiletto Deuce 2

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 8:53am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

despite his rant over Petrucci it's still an impressive lesson

finally its back

>>>> The Return of the Jedi Rack <<<<

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 11:38am 
Plank Cranker

Thanks guys...those are both great!

Anyone else??

irondeth21; mbman; manray03; hthomas; MYLILSS; mcdes(TGP); Kriskov9(TGP); williamh(TGP); whoismarykelly(TGP); Jimbo72; geek-mo(TGP)

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 28, 2012 11:09am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Run thru the modes in 3's and 4's using metronome..up and down 1-3-4 fingerings and the others respectively. Make it musical otherwise you will get bored quickly... believe me. Tremonti uses Mixolydian alot... also Aeolian(natural minor) in his legato shapes quite often.. You can also connect pentatonic shapes for extended legato runs that sound good and really help the technique.

Anything Holdsworth, Gilbert, Kotzen, Petrucci... find some licks and slow for form.. then speed up. Cheerz and all the best.

Cory

Great transactions with Mizati20, Steve K, Rtahan, King Guitar, guitarlegend1986,JonnyXXXMac, Bosco, eh_D, bwgintegra, The Hoff, LP Freak, RACKSYSTEMS, bleedback, jcj, glip22, AmpliFire, MindCrime, tcrash, overthemountain, 1meanplexi,MrDan666,232cap,nighttrain69,DoomBuggi,RG955TT,killertone,jsp,mooncobra,cujo,romans 1:36

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 28, 2012 3:24pm 
Hack

I go over a lot of "legato" runs and technique in my Rock guitar Vol. I DVD lesson. Here's a link to that specific lesson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8kwLwpt ... ature=plcp

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 28, 2012 5:02pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Great playing bro!!! Hell yeah :rock:

Great transactions with Mizati20, Steve K, Rtahan, King Guitar, guitarlegend1986,JonnyXXXMac, Bosco, eh_D, bwgintegra, The Hoff, LP Freak, RACKSYSTEMS, bleedback, jcj, glip22, AmpliFire, MindCrime, tcrash, overthemountain, 1meanplexi,MrDan666,232cap,nighttrain69,DoomBuggi,RG955TT,killertone,jsp,mooncobra,cujo,romans 1:36

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 29, 2012 7:23am 
Hack

suhrimmetal wrote:
Great playing bro!!! Hell yeah :rock:

Hey thanks man. Appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 02, 2012 10:01pm 
Plank Cranker

suhrimmetal wrote:
Run thru the modes in 3's and 4's using metronome..up and down 1-3-4 fingerings and the others respectively. Make it musical otherwise you will get bored quickly... believe me. Tremonti uses Mixolydian alot... also Aeolian(natural minor) in his legato shapes quite often.. You can also connect pentatonic shapes for extended legato runs that sound good and really help the technique.

Anything Holdsworth, Gilbert, Kotzen, Petrucci... find some licks and slow for form.. then speed up. Cheerz and all the best.

Cory

Thanks man...appreciate it!!

El Toneman wrote:
I go over a lot of "legato" runs and technique in my Rock guitar Vol. I DVD lesson. Here's a link to that specific lesson

Thanks...I'll give it a look!

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 10, 2012 10:56pm 
Hack

Wim Roelants Guitar Experience on Lick Library is a great DVD. Lots of Legato in it too.

PostPosted: Tue, May 15, 2012 9:58pm 
Hack

Well I would suggest you forget listening to guitar players as you'll just wind up sounding like another guitar player. Holdsworth spent lots of time listening and learning how horn players use the legato technique. I would also suggest you see how much of Keith Jarrett's work you could transcribe and get that super smooth legato sound.
One of the biggest reasons that Holdsworth stands out is that he isn't going up and down the neck playing modes. He was once asked what modes he used and he replied, "Pie Ala".
I would think a great way to look into Holdsworth amazing technique is the following video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asjr_4rwIEY
The beauty of that video is there is nothing besides Allan playing. You get to hear the execution with out having to filter out other instruments.
Use your ears and let them guide you. You don't have to finger everything like everyone else does. You have your own way make use of that.

PostPosted: Sat, May 19, 2012 4:28pm 
Plank Cranker

DocRocz wrote:
Well I would suggest you forget listening to guitar players as you'll just wind up sounding like another guitar player. Holdsworth spent lots of time listening and learning how horn players use the legato technique. I would also suggest you see how much of Keith Jarrett's work you could transcribe and get that super smooth legato sound.
One of the biggest reasons that Holdsworth stands out is that he isn't going up and down the neck playing modes. He was once asked what modes he used and he replied, "Pie Ala".
I would think a great way to look into Holdsworth amazing technique is the following video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asjr_4rwIEY
The beauty of that video is there is nothing besides Allan playing. You get to hear the execution with out having to filter out other instruments.
Use your ears and let them guide you. You don't have to finger everything like everyone else does. You have your own way make use of that.

Great post :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot for that!!

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 11, 2012 11:15am 
Hack

For me, when it comes in Legato lesson,No one can teach like Paul Gilbert.
I suggest that search his guitar lesson about legato, and you will never regret.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 29, 2012 3:47am 
Hack

+1 on the kotzen material for legato !!

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 11, 2012 11:35am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Tom Quale

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 11, 2012 2:29pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Derek Taylor. Badass. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkue90t64Us He has some instructionals on Chops From Hell, I believe.

http://www.reverbnation.com/richardtull

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 13, 2012 3:57am 
Apprentice NOOB

You really have to check out Tom Quayle - check his technique on YouTube if you're not familiar. He just posted Part Two of his legato series here:
http://www.tomquayle.co.uk/lessons.html
Don't be discouraged just because Tom isn't widely published or fronting some super prog band... He's got a real aptitude for teaching. His lesson materials supply you with everything you need - Video, Booklet, Tab, Backing Tracks, example solos with transcriptions, fingering diagrams.

Fender American Standard Tele, American Fat Strat, American Standard Strat
Ibanez Jem7VWH & SDR3000 bass
PRS Modern Eagle
Gibson LP Gold Top DoubleCut, Les Paul Studio
Suhr Guthrie Govan Set Neck, Suhr Custom Modern
Mayones Regius 7
AxeFX II & MFC-101