Legato lessons??

lespaul3013

Can someone point me in the direction of some good, comprehensive legato lessons?

I love how smooth it sounds and I've kinda been focusing more on alternate picking lately. So I'd like to change things up and hopefully incoporate some legato into my "style". I LOVE how Mark Tremonti and Satch use it in their playing. :thumbsup:

The only video I came across that helped was one by Mark Tremonti, but I'm sure there are others out there that can help me even more. :yes:

Thanks!
Jordan :rock:

Run thru the modes in 3's and 4's using metronome..up and down 1-3-4 fingerings and the others respectively. Make it musical otherwise you will get bored quickly... believe me. Tremonti uses Mixolydian alot... also Aeolian(natural minor) in his legato shapes quite often.. You can also connect pentatonic shapes for extended legato runs that sound good and really help the technique.

Anything Holdsworth, Gilbert, Kotzen, Petrucci... find some licks and slow for form.. then speed up. Cheerz and all the best.

Cory

suhrimmetal":3km1uz8p said:
Run thru the modes in 3's and 4's using metronome..up and down 1-3-4 fingerings and the others respectively. Make it musical otherwise you will get bored quickly... believe me. Tremonti uses Mixolydian alot... also Aeolian(natural minor) in his legato shapes quite often.. You can also connect pentatonic shapes for extended legato runs that sound good and really help the technique.

Anything Holdsworth, Gilbert, Kotzen, Petrucci... find some licks and slow for form.. then speed up. Cheerz and all the best.

Cory

Thanks man...appreciate it!!

El Toneman":3km1uz8p said:
I go over a lot of "legato" runs and technique in my Rock guitar Vol. I DVD lesson. Here's a link to that specific lesson

Thanks...I'll give it a look!

Well I would suggest you forget listening to guitar players as you'll just wind up sounding like another guitar player. Holdsworth spent lots of time listening and learning how horn players use the legato technique. I would also suggest you see how much of Keith Jarrett's work you could transcribe and get that super smooth legato sound.
One of the biggest reasons that Holdsworth stands out is that he isn't going up and down the neck playing modes. He was once asked what modes he used and he replied, "Pie Ala".
I would think a great way to look into Holdsworth amazing technique is the following video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asjr_4rwIEY
The beauty of that video is there is nothing besides Allan playing. You get to hear the execution with out having to filter out other instruments.
Use your ears and let them guide you. You don't have to finger everything like everyone else does. You have your own way make use of that.

DocRocz":n9ubosfm said:
Well I would suggest you forget listening to guitar players as you'll just wind up sounding like another guitar player. Holdsworth spent lots of time listening and learning how horn players use the legato technique. I would also suggest you see how much of Keith Jarrett's work you could transcribe and get that super smooth legato sound.
One of the biggest reasons that Holdsworth stands out is that he isn't going up and down the neck playing modes. He was once asked what modes he used and he replied, "Pie Ala".
I would think a great way to look into Holdsworth amazing technique is the following video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asjr_4rwIEY
The beauty of that video is there is nothing besides Allan playing. You get to hear the execution with out having to filter out other instruments.
Use your ears and let them guide you. You don't have to finger everything like everyone else does. You have your own way make use of that.

Great post :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot for that!!

You really have to check out Tom Quayle - check his technique on YouTube if you're not familiar. He just posted Part Two of his legato series here:
http://www.tomquayle.co.uk/lessons.html
Don't be discouraged just because Tom isn't widely published or fronting some super prog band... He's got a real aptitude for teaching. His lesson materials supply you with everything you need - Video, Booklet, Tab, Backing Tracks, example solos with transcriptions, fingering diagrams.

Back