What tubes are you using in your Herbert?

BigSwerve

I finally got my Herbert (well its on the way) and I wanna know what kind of tubes I should load it with. The seller told me it has some pretty fresh 6l6 in there but he said they are all 6l6. I would like to mix some heavier tones in the mix. I read peters post not to use the kt88 cuz it could cause problems over time so im thinking a pair of 6l6s and a quads of JJ kt77s or quads of ruby EL34BGs but what should go in the 1&6, the 2&5, and the 3&4. What does it matter? how does the order color your tone?

I am playing heavier rock music thats tuned in mostly in C and B with a few in A if that matters.

I also want some examples and to hear how they are working for you and what you will change, if anything, next time you retube. Also what kind of music you are playing. Please tell me what you are using for pre amp tubes and power tubes and there positions, if you know them, and where you like to get your tubes from.

Thanks Diezel Fam!!!!

It doesn't matter what order the pairs are, just make sure each pair are in the appropriate sockets. For example, (2) 6L6's in 1&6, (2) EL34's in 2&5, and (2) KT88's in 3&4.

I run all JJ KT88's and have been for a couple years now. I will not run anything else at this point. I did not like the amp with EL34's. I have all Ruby preamp tubes, with a balanced one in V1 socket. I am not one to experiment with preamp tubes though, I've had bad luck trying to get those little prongs to go into the sockets right, if they are quiet and not micro phonic, I don't touch them, ever.

I am running all EL34's and loving it! Jens did some work on my head a while back and it just sounds AMAZING!!

I don't knock any others tubes, I have Gold Lion KT's in my Soldano SLO and they sound perfect in there.

No reason you can't experiment, yet Papa recommends EL34's for Herbert. Or at least he has been for a while. Things change and what I know is Peter looks for consistency in his tubes.

Have fun and "welcome to the family"

Awesome thanks man! If peter says you need some 34s in there then I gotta at least try them in there! lol I think im going to do a pair 6l6 a pair ruby el34BG and a pair of jj kt77.

I have 2 Ruby EL34 BHT, 2 winged C 6L6 GC, and 2 Winged C EL34s in mine. Tried a bunch of combos that one sounds the best to me

I had 4 el34s and 2 6l6s running for years. Just went back to all el34s for a change. I play all styles of music, use a 7 string and both seem to work nice. I would like to Hear what the KT88 sound like. I had VHT UL with 88s years ago and that thing was massive sounding and very tight.

I know!!! i really want the kt88 in this one but its not worth messing up my amp over. just hope the kt77 will get me close!

First Diezel was using EL34's, then 6550's, then back to EL34's, and now KT77's. As mentioned, Peter seems to be more concerned with a reliable tube availability. I would like to know what it actually is that Peter is worried about with the KT88's.

RJF":3n4cpapi said:
First Diezel was using EL34's, then 6550's, then back to EL34's, and now KT77's. As mentioned, Peter seems to be more concerned with a reliable tube availability. I would like to know what it actually is that Peter is worried about with the KT88's.

Peter has mentioned to me that he is worried a heat issue with the kt88s. They get pretty hot with 6 of them in there when they are biased properly. I'm sure everything will be fine. He just wants his amps to be reliable and is worried the heat might hurt a component on the board while you're playing.

I got my Herbert with 4 Penta Labs and 2 Ruby KT88s. Icepicks to the ears.... No matter what i did with the presence and treble it was overkill on the ears. Especially for leads. I swapped them out for Ruby EL34 tubes and icepicks are no more. :rock:

Thanks for being clear Peter.

As always, Papa has the answer :D

I still am loving the EL34's I my Herbert, great clean headroom and sweet gain tones!!

So peter you have made it clear you are all about tube reliabilty which is why you go with the kt77 but which tube(s) do you love in herbert for a great heavy rhythm tone?

I'm curious about this as well, I've had a Herbert on order for about a month which AFAIK has not shipped yet, so will it be coming with EL34s or KT77s?

Just replaced rubys el34 with JJ kt77. Its amazing! Powerfull (not muddy) lows, strong mids and crystal highs. I compare it whith new jj el34, but kt77 is much better.

Thanks for recomendations.

Back