When did Gibson stop using ebony on the LP Custom fretboards

RedB4Black

I was told it was 2010 was the last year for ebony. Is that true.

I played a 2012 at Sam Ash and it had a Richlite fretboard. It looked like a chalkboard. I couldn't spend that kind of cash on a guitar with a synthetic fretboard.

mhenson42":lgqn8mim said:
I was told it was 2010 was the last year for ebony. Is that true.

I played a 2012 at Sam Ash and it had a Richlite fretboard. It looked like a chalkboard. I couldn't spend that kind of cash on a guitar with a synthetic fretboard.

Is that Fo Real? So you spend $4000 for a Les Paul Custom and you don't even get Ebony anymore? WOW Gibson WTF?

Some people do confuse the Custom Classic for the regular Custom. The Custom Classis has the roasted maple, I owned one but sold it since I'm just not comfortable on Les Paul's anymore.

It was a custom, not a custom classic. Here's a link to their web-site where it says it has Richlite board....

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... ustom.aspx

Richlite is described as....

Richlite is a dense material made from partially recycled paper and phenolic resin. Phenolic resin is made of formeldahyde and phenol. Individually, these are potent chemicals, but create a harmless, inert substance when combined. The paper is soaked in phenolic resin, then molded and baked into net shape in a heated form or press.

The paper used by Richlite is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), a global non-profit organization devoted to encouraging and monitoring responsible management of the world's forests. This adds to the sustainability of Richlite, as it comes from readily renewable wood resources, managed in a way that allows for growth to exceed harvest by 47% in North America.

Richlite is also certified for indoor use in residential, school and institutional environments by GREENGUARD Environmental Institute and under NSF Standard 51.

Originally distributed as a commercial kitchen surface in the 1950s, it has recently been adapted for use in skateboard parks (e.g., "Skatelite"), as well as various other applications, such as residential counters, fiberglass cores and limited architectural applications. Richlite is an alternative to Corian and granite counter tops

I just saw a thread on the LP forum...............lame! But at least if Gibson ever decides to sue PRS again then Paul can show the judge that PRS uses actual wood. :LOL: :LOL:

zewango":rpm5w5o5 said:
I thought it was on 2012 models.

Maybe it's 2012 for the Richlite.

Maybe I'm thinking I read in 2011 they changed the fretboard to a thin ebony veneer ply. I was told that I wanted a 2010 model or before, but I'm just checking.

I'm in the market for a LP and there's a few nice ones I've found, but I want to make sure I know what I'm buying....and price accordingly.

You can thank the Fed's for this. They seem to only be concerned with what wood Gibson uses. If you like this type of "help" from the government, vote democrat.

tone woods go bye bye-

Bob Taylor, founder of Taylor Guitars. “In our generation, we’ll see the disappearance of some well-loved species. Even if they don’t become extinct, they’ll become extinct commercially.”

I have actually seen pretty good reviews on the richlite fretboard, that is what they used on Gibson Midtown custom, but that is about half the price of an LP custom.

chunktone":34tmtrbg said:
You can thank the Fed's for this. They seem to only be concerned with what wood Gibson uses. If you like this type of "help" from the government, vote democrat.

:thumbsup: Exactly. The Obama Adminstration and the jackbooted EPA confiscated all their ebony claiming it was obtained illegally. It wasn't. Countries like India and other nations that harvest ebony and other tonewoods have been able to get our government to work provisions into the Lacey Act to force companies like Gibson to hire workers in those countries to "finish" the wood before it is exported - essentially "sending jobs overseas". So, because Gibson doesn't use union labor after leaving Michigan, they have a big target on their backs from this president/Democrats. No other guitar maker was forced to hand over it's ebony. I have a feeling that once this president has been shown the exit and common sense re-enters EPA policies, they'll start using ebony again.

chunktone":1h19guht said:

Watch the video that Lester just posted and you'll realize how misinformed you really are.

IceMan":131qzgo5 said:
chunktone":131qzgo5 said:

:thumbsup: Exactly. The Obama Adminstration and the jackbooted EPA confiscated all their ebony claiming it was obtained illegally. It wasn't. Countries like India and other nations that harvest ebony and other tonewoods have been able to get our government to work provisions into the Lacey Act to force companies like Gibson to hire workers in those countries to "finish" the wood before it is exported - essentially "sending jobs overseas". So, because Gibson doesn't use union labor after leaving Michigan, they have a big target on their backs from this president/Democrats. No other guitar maker was forced to hand over it's ebony. I have a feeling that once this president has been shown the exit and common sense re-enters EPA policies, they'll start using ebony again.

Where'd they get it from? Do you have the paperwork/facts to support Gibson on this? I imagine Gibson uses more Ebony than anyone else thus the target. Who else besides Jackson uses a lot of Ebony? Fender doesn't, some Ibanez but not many.

You guys just want the big company to go out and get the Ebony and it seems like you could care less where it comes from and how much of it is left.

danyeo":1hx7fx64 said:
IceMan":1hx7fx64 said:
chunktone":1hx7fx64 said:

Where'd they get it from? Do you have the paperwork/facts to support Gibson on this? I imagine Gibson uses more Ebony than anyone else thus the target. Who else besides Jackson uses a lot of Ebony? Fender doesn't, some Ibanez but not many.

You guys just want the big company to go out and get the Ebony and it seems like you could care less where it comes from and how much of it is left.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2012/ ... gered-wood
"This allows us to get back to the business of making guitars," he said, noting that the settlement would allow them to continue sourcing rosewood and ebony from India as it has for decades."

This is all politics and money - conservation has little to do with it.

danyeo":33350k81 said:
chunktone":33350k81 said:

Watch the video that Lester just posted and you'll realize how misinformed you really are.
That's an old video, and yes I have seen it. If being "informed" means believing the government is out for the good of the people, or anything other than power and control, then I hope to never be as enlightened as you. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Oh, how I fondly recall my childhood days playing under the Richlite tree...

I guess when the Feds take all your ebony, you improvise :confused:

chunktone":2h7yra87 said:

+1000

So they replace ebony with paper machet?? Shouldn't the price of the guitars come down accordingly

Back