New EVH Wolfgang pickups

i sat in with a Van Halen tribute band a couple months ago and the guitar i played was using the new Wolfgangs and in my ears was the most musical sounding humbucker i've heard in years...not high gainy bull shit, just warm, round and evenly balanced articulate sounding that had a nice presence to them..alnico 2 , but im not sure. I also like the duncan 78's...I have on my les paul, killer!

The new EVH wolfgang pickups have alnico 5 magnets,I assure you,the pickups that were in the Peavey wolfgang were also alnico 5 magnets also,if I wasnt sure of something I would not post it,thats how rumours start...... :thumbsup: Peterthorn,I find it hard to believe that when you asked Ed and Matt Bruck that they werent sure if they were alnico 2 or 5,Ed supposelly deigned everything on the guitar,he had full control....... :confused:

petethorn":2ub71pts said:
Guys the Wolfgang pickups sound really great in these other guitars, they made a so-so Les Paul Standard actually sound just awesome, I think I dig the way it sounds more than my black LP Custom which has WB Habaneros in it and has been my main go-to LP.
sorry to bump a old thread but i agree with pete,I bought a set here in the classifieds for $110 shipped(KILLER DEAL!) and these wolfgangs sound great in everything i tried them in!
in my alder charvels,jacksons and a les paul. the WG set seems to work with any body wood.
they are very articulate,smooth with a instant VH mojo to them.
I would say these are in between the EBMM dimarzio's in the axis and the peavey wolfgangs.
I always loved the custom wound dimarzio's in the EBMM's but after owning a set of these newer Wolfgang pu's i like these more. :rock:

nitro":2n924vcp said:
The new EVH wolfgang pickups have alnico 5 magnets,I assure you,the pickups that were in the Peavey wolfgang were also alnico 5 magnets also,if I wasnt sure of something I would not post it,thats how rumours start...... :thumbsup: Peterthorn,I find it hard to believe that when you asked Ed and Matt Bruck that they werent sure if they were alnico 2 or 5,Ed supposelly deigned everything on the guitar,he had full control....... :confused:

Are you sure they are Alnico 5 ? I wanna try one of these but I dont normally get along with A2 pickups , I prefer A5... A2 tends not to have much lowend, is that the case with this pickup ?

I made the mistake of searching for specs on the EVH Wolfgang pickups and expecting to find conclusive answers from the source. The Fender EVH web site's idea of specs: price and part number. :LOL: :LOL: In typical Ed fashion, the public is always left wondering what the secret sauce is. All I found was a review on HCAF saying the bridge pup DC resistance is ~ 14k and that the Frankenstein had more mids.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... p-review...

the4thlast1":1siy1mbe said:
nitro":1siy1mbe said:

Are you sure they are Alnico 5 ? I wanna try one of these but I dont normally get along with A2 pickups , I prefer A5... A2 tends not to have much lowend, is that the case with this pickup ?

According to they guy at EVH, Mike who responded to my email they are alnico II:

Greetings Chris,
Thanks for writing in! Both the bridge and neck pickups are AlNiCo 2 magnets. Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Matt Brown
Fender Musical Instruments
Consumer Relations
17600 North Perimeter Drive, Suite 100,
Scottsdale, AZ. 85255
480-845-5133
www.fender.com
www.gretschguitars.com
www.guildguitars.com
www.charvel.com
www.jacksonguitars.com
www.groovetubes.com
www.swramps.com

Some at Fender have no idea what they are talking about.The EVH(Fender) Wolfgang pickups bridge and neck are alnico V magnets.I believe that they(Fender)are getting the EVH Frankenstrat pickup mixed up with the EVH Wolfgang pickups.The EVH Frankenstrat pickup is a Alnico II magnet,the EVH Wolfgang pickups bridge and neck are alnico V,I assure you.......I have those pickups(EVH Wolfgang)in both of my Les Pauls,if they were alnico II I wouldnt have purchased them plus they would sound very muddy in a les paul.

nitro":2liv77y0 said:
I believe that they(Fender)are getting the EVH Frankenstrat pickup mixed up with the EVH Wolfgang pickups.

I don't think so. The frankenstein is made by SD so why would they get that mixed up with a Fender product? I'll take the EVH/Fender product guy's word for it...Not that it matters. I don't buy pickups based on what kind of magnet it has.

The EVH Frankenstrat pickup,Fender contracted out Seymour Duncan to produce the pickup but its sold by Fender(Duncan can not say what the specs are due to contract,spec is 14k Alnico II magnet) Believe what you want thats fine.EVH(Fender) told me that the EVH G12 Celestion speakers were made in china,they were wrong(They are made in England) about that also,so believe what you want,have fun....

nitro":358q5vc9 said:
Believe what you want thats fine.EVH(Fender) told me that the EVH G12 Celestion speakers were made in china,they were wrong(They are made in England) about that also,so believe what you want,have fun....

Celestion evh has the EXACT specs of a RI greenback...
The difference in the production counrty...
I don't know about the pickup...
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a SD CUSTOM CUSTOM...

blackie13":3n856mib said:
Check the celestion graphs..

I don't know about the Wolfgang pickups, and I don't really care what magnet they use. But the EVH speaker is NOT the same as the regular G12M Greenback. It is the same as the Heritage Greenback that's made(or at least was) in England.

Actually, the Peavey wolfgang pickups used Alnico 8 magnets. I know that spec for a fact.

Sinnerx96":20kvg6mp said:
blackie13":20kvg6mp said:
That's what I thought too...
Check this out...very last post...
Maybe they are wrong though

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76922&hilit=celestion+evh&start=50

Try them all out and see what you think. You'll find that the EVH does not sound the same as the RI.

I had the G12M heritage...
Didn't like them that much..I actually prefer the RIs...
Have you heard the heritage and Evh side by side???
Truly identical??(I know what celestion says,I am interested in what guitarists say)

blackie13":9j2ehd77 said:
Sinnerx96":9j2ehd77 said:
blackie13":9j2ehd77 said:
That's what I thought too...
Check this out...very last post...
Maybe they are wrong though

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76922&hilit=celestion+evh&start=50

Try them all out and see what you think. You'll find that the EVH does not sound the same as the RI.

I had the G12M heritage...
Didn't like them that much..I actually prefer the RIs...
Have you heard the heritage and Evh side by side???
Truly identical??(I know what celestion says,I am interested in what guitarists say)

I can't tell you with absolute certainty or anything. I have compared the EVH to the RI, and the Heritage to the RI. The differences were the same to me in both cases. I've also compared different cabs with the varying greenback varieties. The Marshall Vintage Modern cab(G12C), the EVH 5150 III cab, and cabs loaded with RIs. The Vintage Modern and EVH cabs sound eerily similar, when compared to RI loaded cabs, and I hear the same differences as noted above. This, as well as reps from Celestion confirming it multiple times, has led me to the conclusion that they are all probably the same speaker(G12C, EVH, Heritage). Never directly compared a EVH, G12C, or Heritage in the same cab, though. So take that for what it's worth.

Back