250 K vs 500 k volume pot

A standard strat will have all 250k pots.

Basically as the pot value increases, the amount of brightness increases as well. Do a google search on this, there are a number of good sites that go into more detail.

Typically 250k pots are used with single coils and 500k pots are used with humbuckers. There are some les pauls that came with 300k pots, so nothing is set in stone.

Most Hum/Sing/Sing guitars come with 250k pots. The Duncan JB was made to work well with a 250k pot thats why it's in so many guitars from the factory.

Since the Super Switch came out you can have a 500k pot for the Hum and have the two sing's see a 250k load. Best of both worlds for that set up...

i love the stock gibby 300's. only if, i've just gotten so used to them and how they work in relation to my guitars/amps.

I dig 250k pots in most guitars whether they have humbuckers and/or singles, although I do like the 300k pots in Gibsons and other "darker" guitars.
For my taste 500k pots usually seem a bit too harsh on the treble side. That being said, I have 500k pots in a beat up 80s LP studio and for that particular guitar they work well.

I found that a Duncan JB with a 250 pot sounded a little weak. With a 500k pot, it was too harsh. However, after using a 500k pot and direct mounting the PU's the 500k was amazing!

the rossness":27ghh9u0 said:
I found that a Duncan JB with a 250 pot sounded a little weak. With a 500k pot, it was too harsh. However, after using a 500k pot and direct mounting the PU's the 500k was amazing!

why do you think the direct mounting made such a difference?

was curious about this with one of my ibby RG axes. havent tried it yet though.

yeti":ajjsjr2n said:
the rossness":ajjsjr2n said:

I have a hard time believing that the direct mounting of the pickup is what made the difference...I'm guessing some other variable changed to give those results. A buddy and I did some pretty extensive testing back in '99 to determine if there was a tonal advantage to direct mounting a humbucker based on Eddie's comments about it. Bottom line is that there was no audible difference using multiple pickups of varying outputs (including a JB) across the gain spectrum.

I hated the JB in my Kramer until I installed a 250k volume pot. Now it's smoothed out perfectly for my tastes. :thumbsup:

rupe":3rom35uh said:
yeti":3rom35uh said:
the rossness":3rom35uh said:

I have a hard time believing that the direct mounting of the pickup is what made the difference...I'm guessing some other variable changed to give those results. A buddy and I did some pretty extensive testing back in '99 to determine if there was a tonal advantage to direct mounting a humbucker based on Eddie's comments about it. Bottom line is that there was no audible difference using multiple pickups of varying outputs (including a JB) across the gain spectrum.

I know he caught a lot of flack online, but take a look at the build options on Ed Roman's custom shop page. He mentions that a direct mounted pickup will sound sweeter and have better sustain without being as spikey as using a PU ring or a pickguard.

the rossness":1nv9rg9k said:
rupe":1nv9rg9k said:
yeti":1nv9rg9k said:
the rossness":1nv9rg9k said:

I know he caught a lot of flack online, but take a look at the build options on Ed Roman's custom shop page. He mentions that a direct mounted pickup will sound sweeter and have better sustain without being as spikey as using a PU ring or a pickguard.
You just helped reaffirm my findings...most of what Ed Roman said was a load of crap. We could start an entire thread on Ed's false statements and counterfeit guitars.

rupe":owr929vy said:
the rossness":owr929vy said:
rupe":owr929vy said:
yeti":owr929vy said:
the rossness":owr929vy said:

You just helped reaffirm my findings...most of what Ed Roman said was a load of crap. We could start an entire thread on Ed's false statements and counterfeit guitars.

He can't be wrong about everything.

He's wrong about stainless steel frets, ebony fingerboards, and direct mount pickups.

Back