Kemper Profiling Amp Review!

Well, still not the future, cause you still have to have amps to profile. :D Just another thieving bastard is all.

Crazy technology in the Kemper, clone a killer amp or 100+ other ones and fit it in a small box that sounds legit - cool concept

Plug it into your daw via spdif, use good monitors and you will get big sounds in a few sec.
I'm impressed.
It's in another league...again.

This technology is utterly amazing. It is taking the algorithms of other machines and cloning them. It doesn't make my amps obsolete, but it does make me want one with a power amp built in to make a very portable mobile rig....

Damn you GAS!!!

I used to have one, and it was really awesome with the matrix amp and 2 port city cabs... But i try a preset of a steavens poundcake 50w and compare it to my steavens and it was not the same feeling... So I sold the kemper...

I've got a 100 watt Steavens Poundcake and am surprised it doesn't sample well. Killer amp though, my fave actually.

Is it really worth picking one up for the average amp addict like me just addicted to a variety of tones but i dont do much recording or live playing?

Yes. The Kemper can please your ears on all levels. Make sure you have very linear speakers to play back on our you won't get the best out it.

I've been on the fence about picking up a Kemper for a while. I'd be using it with a power amp through a 4x12. I don't know what it's gonna be that makes me take the plunge. How does it sound at low volumes with a power amp?

I think the 'concept' behind the camper is being a programmable simulator. It probably suits the needs of Top40 guitarrists and the such that need like one million of CD-original sounds to please the drunken audience that actually wants to hear a CD and see some monkeys jumping on stage to entertain them.

The camper measures the output of your guitar and tries to find a matching to the corresponding output of a mic at the cab. Even if it does that well, the only one happy with a camper will be the sound engineer that (presumably) gets the same mic signal in each cover party with drunken audience. That way he doesn't have to remember where to put the mic each time. Since he's doing it only for the money (who wants to work for such musicians?) he will be happy to make it faster.
The very smart-ass and fully virtual guitar player that wishes to come only with a fancy apple device to a gig and nothing more, that one will be pleased also, because now he will be so extremly clever. How clever! Only a camper to the gig and all sounds are in it! Isn't that freaking clever!? WOW!!!
Well, maybe. The only problem is that you won't hear your rig but what the mic and the sound tech made of it. So if you grew up with Pods and similar tamagochis, you will surely be blown away by the AMAZING sound of the camper. But if you ever played a tube amp and came to discover that the electric guitar can react and sound as true and natural as an acoustical instrument, then you won't be even tempted to buy a camper. Maybe for practicing and pre-recording using headphones in places where you can't use real musical instruments. For doing music: noway this is even near to being a competitor for the real thing.

Using it with a power amp and a loudspeaker? What's the sense in that? EVERY speaker sounds different to the next one. Even power amps behave differently. That's why guitarrists use rigs and not such simulators. Even if the camper would add the ability to mic the PA speaker you're going to use with the camper: where to mic? At the tweeter?!? A bit under it? Behind the speaker?

The camper is a bad joke for the very young or for the amateur. Of all musicians I know, only SOME of those playing metal use a thing like a camper. I think you must give a damn about your sound to be able to play with such a simulator. And then: why not switch to keyboards? Doesn't the iOS have a keyboard app? I'm sure that sounds AMAZING too.

What are "very linear speakers"? In which planet (or universe) do they exist? On earth they would be very sought after! If you find one you're a millionaire!

Forget it. The camper as well as all other simulators are just the new internet thing you must do. Just find a guitar and an amp you like and play the damn thing!

Back