Krank Amps out of business

savant421

Kinda knew this was going to happen for a while now. They started out with great intentions and a great product. I can remember hearing a prototype Krank that Tony built and it sounded NOTHING like the production line (sounded amazing). I always liked Krank cabs but tbh their heads sounded like ass. Always sounded like a freq was missing and super hard to play on, not to mention had a Rev1 fail on me at a show. But in fairness, I think the Jr heads sound better than the full size heads. Go figure. Thru the years all the good dudes left and Krank started to get a slimey 'holier than thou' attitude and really turned a lot of ppl off. Their booth at NAMM was douchebag central :thumbsdown: . Karma I guess. Tony is a great and talented guy and I hope his new Stiff line of amps sells well.

http://orbitelectronix.com/krank.html

I hope Tony does well with the new Stiff amps...I wasn't ever really huge on the Krank series.
However, one of my good friends had a Krank Krankenstein with KT66's that sounded awesome.

They've been out of businnes for a while
Cornford is out too

Tony picks some of the worst amp names IMO. Never liked the Krank name and Stiff is even worse. Both company's marketing turns me sour, I guess I am not the target market.

cornford out of business, too bad. they made some good amps. the builder, forgot his name, has a new amp line coming out.

Krank has gotten a pretty bad rap for many years. I thought their amps could sound pretty kickass if dialed in right. The sweep knob killed them IMO. They needed to hardwire it in like 3 positions where it didn't kill the sound of the amp. Any of them could sound like a broken telephone depending on that knob. They were also built very decent IMO, at least they were 5-10 years ago. The 3 I owned had flying leads with chassis mounted pots, switches, and power tube sockets. The components were all quality, along with the iron. Their customer service was some of the best in the industry too. I've owned a lot of popular and boutique amps, many of them new straight out of the shop, and I would put them right in the top 3 for customer service. I had a problem with one of mine, and emailed Patrick in their service department. They sent a UPS guy with a label to my house to get my amp, fixed it, and shipped it back to me completely on their dime. How many companies would do that today.

Anyone remember this from almost 10 years ago?

Krank being banned from Harmony Central for going into the 'user reviews' section of the site and posting fake glowing reviews of their amps
Someone tried to get a buzz going for them...but it kind of backfired.
A lot of people didn't take them seriously after that.

blackba":3fu79unq said:
Tony picks some of the worst amp names IMO. Never liked the Krank name and Stiff is even worse. Both company's marketing turns me sour, I guess I am not the target market.

stiff just sounds all kinds of wrong, especially with guitar/amps , i've always heard stiff as a criticism of an amp sounds/feels, which is unfortunate if the amps sound good

blackba":v2cq5422 said:
Agreed

Randy Van Sykes":16j4wvmn said:
Anyone remember this from almost 10 years ago? Krank being banned from Harmony Central for going into the 'user reviews' section of the site and posting fake glowing reviews of their amps

I remember that! The guy that did that was my guitar tech at the time and I told him he was nuts for doing that. Ugh...

clubshred":2nckzg4p said:
Randy Van Sykes":2nckzg4p said:
Anyone remember this from almost 10 years ago? Krank being banned from Harmony Central for going into the 'user reviews' section of the site and posting fake glowing reviews of their amps

I remember that! The guy that did that was my guitar tech at the time and I told him he was nuts for doing that. Ugh...

Yeah, just ask anybody in their honeymoon phase to write a review
"Best amp I've ever played, crushing, epic, organic, musical, wanktastic, etc."
No need to make stuff up, there will always be people raving about anything and everything

Randy Van Sykes":zgs23ca2 said:

Krank being banned from Harmony Central for going into the 'user reviews' section of the site and posting fake glowing reviews of their amps

yep, I remember that clearly. Another reason not to like their amps....the main reason I don't like them is I have yet to hear one that sounds good

Shawn Lutz":38swj8l6 said:
Randy Van Sykes":38swj8l6 said:

yep, I remember that clearly. Another reason not to like their amps....the main reason I don't like them is I have yet to hear one that sounds good

Krankenstein was probably the worst tube amp I've ever owned
I wouldn't buy a mint one for 300$

Business":2xwxc16m said:
rlord1974":2xwxc16m said:
Business":2xwxc16m said:
Krankenstein was probably the worst tube amp I've ever owned. I wouldn't buy a mint one for 300$

$275? :confused:

Shipped?

Sure, but no one is going to spend $80 on packaging materials to ensure it is packed properly. Wrap it in a towel with some duct tape and drop it at FedEx.......

Back