Limited EVH 5150 III

Im in on this one , placed my order a few minutes ago with Brad.

The EVH 100w is my personal favorite, I would take it over an XTC, SLO, VH4, etc ... I have owned and played all amps mentioned , all great amps. There is just something about the EVH that feels right to me and its less expensive which is a bonus. As much as I love the original EVH I have always said it could use some more gain and more lows on the blue channel. I spend almost all my time with the amp on the red channel. Also the added resonance controls is something I thought the amp should have had in the first place. I cant imagine adding more gain to the red channel though thats a bit strange. I set the gain on my red channel at like 10:30 and it has tons of gain lol. Infact thats the key to keeping that channel defined IMO is keeping the gain down.

In any event if the blue channel has more gain and lows it would become my rhythm channel which would make more sense. I use the red for rhythm and lead on the original. What I like about the blue is that it is more open than the red channel and cuts a little better. The red channel can be a bit dark and compressed.

So yeah thanks to EVH for being behind the 5150 series starting with Peavey up till where the amp is today.. All versions have kicked ass in different ways.

I love how you have to buy a limited edition version of his signature amp to get the amp that he actually uses. Sounds like the standard production will continue to be an amp that its endorser thinks lacks gain and definition in the mids.

cardinal":14w38xco said:
I love how you have to buy a limited edition version of his signature amp to get the amp that he actually uses. Sounds like the standard production will continue to be an amp that its endorser thinks lacks gain and definition in the mids.

This :doh:

At least this limited edition is more than just a painted grill.

Good marketing. Now you have to buy a new one.
The original used to be the exact amps he played thru on the record and tour.
Every few years a new tweak to keep sales up.

cardinal":3p9jtsoq said:

H Golf Sport":3p9jtsoq said:
Good marketing. Now you have to buy a new one.
The original used to be the exact amps he played thru on the record and tour.
Every few years a new tweak to keep sales up.

I guess EVH is actively chasing tones through the years right along with the rest of us.

Fuck, almighty..

It's funny how artists will say "this is the ultimate piece of gear for me" blah blah blah, then you find out they either don't use it, or use a modded version of it, after all the R+D that's gone into the product to get it spot-on for them.

Guess EVH will always be fiddling around with his gear though!

Well I suppose when you think about it, it's not any different than Bogner coming out with the 20th XTC or Shiva. I'm just pissed because I wanted a 100 watt and now I want this instead!! :LOL: :LOL:

geetarmikey":1mj6lmig said:
It's funny how artists will say "this is the ultimate piece of gear for me" blah blah blah, then you find out they either don't use it, or use a modded version of it, after all the R+D that's gone into the product to get it spot-on for them.

Guess EVH will always be fiddling around with his gear though!
The guy who put an LP pickup into a strat body he took a wood chisel to so he could fit it, inventing an entirely new subsection of guitars?

Nahh...

Sounds like the standard production will continue to be an amp that its endorser thinks lacks gain and definition in the mids.

At least this limited edition is more than just a painted grill.

It would be nice if they ported over the re-voicings to the standard line. I do like the blacked out look.

Black looks great hope the 50 watt version does something similar. The blue channel needed to be tweaked. Only drawback for me is missing the midi switching.

supersonic":2y5fb4jt said:
glassjaw7":2y5fb4jt said:
I definitely hear some Bogner ecstasy vibe in the EVH, only it's more focused in the upper mids and not as creamy. Sooooooper high gain too! Can't believe they are adding more gain to the Red channel!?
Yes this is how I would describe the difference. But the 5153 has a mushiness that can't be dialed out. The XTC is far superior IMO, but they are in a different league price wise. So I guess you get what you pay for.

I also like the Ecstasy more overall (especially the early model I played). Actually a huge fan of the amp, but if I was strictly a modern hard rock or metal guy, I'd take the EVH all day long. IMO, the Ecstasy is a quirky amp. It has some purely amazing tones in it, but there are definitely drawbacks. I don't think one is far superior to the other, and I only heard the mushiness you speak of when the gain was WAY up on the Red channel, and that's not a problem for me since I never ran it over noon anyway.

I dont think Eddie changing things on the amp is cause for bashing. I think when the amp was designed he was happy with it and overtime he got used to the amp and using it live. Then the little tweaks that you may want become more apparent as time goes on. I would assume they are going to come out with a standard model like this... Maybe a 5154 eventually.

the4thlast1":2fv5poge said:
I dont think Eddie changing things on the amp is cause for bashing. I think when the amp was designed he was happy with it and overtime he got used to the amp and using it live. Then the little tweaks that you may want become more apparent as time goes on. I would assume they are going to come out with a standard model like this... Maybe a 5154 eventually.

Exactly. Constantly chasing that elusive tone in our heads and the human element means we'll never be 100% satisfied.

glassjaw7":3tp57faj said:
supersonic":3tp57faj said:
glassjaw7":3tp57faj said:
I definitely hear some Bogner ecstasy vibe in the EVH, only it's more focused in the upper mids and not as creamy. Sooooooper high gain too! Can't believe they are adding more gain to the Red channel!?
Yes this is how I would describe the difference. But the 5153 has a mushiness that can't be dialed out. The XTC is far superior IMO, but they are in a different league price wise. So I guess you get what you pay for.

I also like the Ecstasy more overall (especially the early model I played). Actually a huge fan of the amp, but if I was strictly a modern hard rock or metal guy, I'd take the EVH all day long. IMO, the Ecstasy is a quirky amp. It has some purely amazing tones in it, but there are definitely drawbacks. I don't think one is far superior to the other, and I only heard the mushiness you speak of when the gain was WAY up on the Red channel, and that's not a problem for me since I never ran it over noon anyway.
I guess it comes down to personal taste, I actually owned a 5153 100w version and XTC 100B at the same time. I found the 5153 to be great at low volume but it just grated my ears at band volumes. I did a lot of A/Bing recording them at home, the XTC is a much sweeter and chewier tone, the XTC oozes class, I can listen to it all day without getting fatigued. The 5153 will fatigue my ears in five minutes. Agreed that the 5153 suits heavier music better, and that they are both a similar flovor but for me, my style and my ears it's the XTC by a longshot.

the4thlast1":1e9q11w7 said:

It's not the tweaking that I think deserves bashing. It's the potential that thy continuing selling an amp (outside of this limited edition) that is no longer the amp that EVH actually uses. Of course you could fill a large thread by listing the "signature" gear that is never actually used by the endorser. But I never like to see that.

Just got this:

EVH Custom Deluxe/EVH Custom Deluxe-Relic’d

This is a set-neck USA made Wolfgang, that has many of the classic attributes of vintage instruments melded with sought after contemporary features.
These are made-to-order…and delivery will take about 100 to 120 days from the time orders are received. Yes- these were the models displayed at NAMM.
All part numbers will be turned on for orders on Monday..

EVH 515O III 100s Limited Run

This is a limited run 5150III, hand modified with special features and more gain, which mimics the amps used by Edward VH on the last VH tour. We will take orders beginning Sept 9th..and close the window on October 18th- and that is ALL we will build this year. Production is slated for October..with delivery following on in November and December

All part numbers will be turned on for orders on Monday..
How many will there be? Depends on how many orders…but I am willing to bet that it will be less than 100- so order NOW!!!

Jon Romanowski
Senior Product Manager
Jackson Guitars & EVH

cardinal":3ouppv13 said:
It's not the tweaking that I think deserves bashing. It's the potential that thy continuing selling an amp (outside of this limited edition) that is no longer the amp that EVH actually uses. Of course you could fill a large thread by listing the "signature" gear that is never actually used by the endorser. But I never like to see that.
I think Ed has done pretty well with sig amps, regardless of what he's currently using. He's used all of them at one point or another, and every version he's come out with so far is revered in it's own right. Anything new doesn't really seem to diminish what previous amps can do/have done. There are guys that prefer each version from what I've seen, and something new likely won't change that. It's highly doubtful that this will be the last amp he uses, but that doesn't mean it won't sound great too.

Whatever mood he's in right now, I like what he's done in this recent incarnation, at least on paper. :rock:

From Ed's EBMM EVH to his Peavey Wolfgang & current EVH Wolfgang guitars, to all his Peavey 5150 & EVH 5153 amps, he has always attached his name to quality gear that he personally plays.

What was the problem again.......

Back