DiMarzio Evolution in a one pup strat?

Rezamatix":3b5xrfxt said:
Sounds like you plan on playing metal. Why not put a real metal pickup in there?

I know it was designed for shreddy type stuff, but just didn't know. Thanks, man...was FS on another forum for cheap and I figured if it'd sound good then why not?

slaveunit":3b5xrfxt said:
Nay. It wont have enough balls or low end in that guitar. They are very tight mid range pickups.

Appreciated dude...nay it is then!

sandman":3ut9ev48 said:
I had a dimarzio evo in a strat once. Hated it. Shrill.

This was my experience as well. I wouldn't waste $10 on one. Very shrill harsh, grainy highs. :thumbsdown:

^Sandman & Chunks be right about the shrill/sterile tones of the Evo.

I still have an Evo7 in the bridge of my 1 7 string, playing that through a EL34 tubed/British voiced amp it is nearly painful. As my Laney's are now "backup", I never got around to swapping the Evo7 out, but I'd never buy one again.

Derek

It will be very harsh and bright in that guitar. It's a cool pup in the right guitar and actually a really good for metal but IMO it needs to be a beefy guitar like a LP or something that sounds a bit dark with other pups. I have one in a LP copy and it's pretty mean.

As I posted in the Bogner forum, I think it was designed with the XTC in mind
To cut with a dark and "muffled" amp

glassjaw7":2tis222d said:
It will be very harsh and bright in that guitar. It's a cool pup in the right guitar and actually a really good for metal but IMO it needs to be a beefy guitar like a LP or something that sounds a bit dark with other pups. I have one in a LP copy and it's pretty mean.
"Shut Yo mouth Fool!! Enough of your Jibba Jabba!!!!"

I put an Evo in a dead-sounding basswood body once and it brought it to life. I also tried an Evo in an ash body and it sounded terrible.

Steinmetzify":1pr4vq31 said:
Alder body, maple neck, playing groove metal....Pantera, Down, Crowbar, etc....yea or nay and why?

I've got a '91 Strat Plus Deluxe with Lace sensors, red (hot) bridge, blue (middle), silver (neck).

Playing through a very high gain B-52 AT100 half stack, it has awesome metal tone.
I love it, cause it's not the typical ultra high output pup's that is way too common.

I do love humbucker's through that amp as well, and LP's and Schecter C-1 classic sounds great as well.
That single coil Red is great, and gives a different tonal flavor.

That's why you need a single coil guitar AND a humbucker set guitar.
No need to just have vanilla ever day, with so many other great tonal flavors available. :rock:

That pup is in Vai's alder bodied Jem's for a reason. He gets some pretty wicked tones out of it.

Back