John Petrucci Vs Guthrie Govan?

John Petrucci Vs Guthrie Govan

• Petrucci

Votes: 38 35.8%
  • Govan

Votes: 68 64.2%

• Total voters
Who are you people? JP can't tie Govan's shoes? Buckethead is dull, lifeless, boring, drab, mechanical, unoriginal, and very limited? All these guys are killer guitar players. What's with pissing on guys with truckloads of talent? Does that make anyone feel a lot better about themselves? I mean, got it, you like one better than the other, but let's get real here folks.

P.S. check out Buckethead's Electric Tears or Population Overdrive to get a complete different side to his boring unoriginalness.

I think they're too much in opposition to say which is the "better" musician. I personally think Govan is one of the most subtly amazing musicians of all time, but I bet he'd struggle with a JP song, just like Petrucci would struggle with a GG song. In fact, I think he'd struggle even more since Govan has such a very unique style that only few seem to bother practising/developing.

But with all that said, I'd rather listen to JP in a band situation than GG. His style is easier to listen, easier to understand and easier to groove. I really appreciate jazz and contemporary rock, I just don't really listen to it. Though neither do I listen to Dream Theatre that much.

Both are great guitarist, but Guthrie is just in a whole other level of playing. I do love DT music more and have been a Petrucci fan for over 20 years.

AngryGoldfish":2yq8y3n7 said:
I think they're too much in opposition to say which is the "better" musician. I personally think Govan is one of the most subtly amazing musicians of all time, but I bet he'd struggle with a JP song, just like Petrucci would struggle with a GG song. In fact, I think he'd struggle even more since Govan has such a very unique style that only few seem to bother practising/developing.

But with all that said, I'd rather listen to JP in a band situation than GG. His style is easier to listen, easier to understand and easier to groove. I really appreciate jazz and contemporary rock, I just don't really listen to it. Though neither do I listen to Dream Theatre that much.

I don't think he would have to really put any effort into coping JP's playing.
He can nail just about anyones style and feel, and obviously GG is faster.
Not so for JP.
JP is a great guitarist, but very linear in his playing.
I do enjoy JP in a band context, but as a solo artist he bores me.
He is definitely a band guitarist, not an instrumentalist.
YMMV

Better...who cares. I love both guitar players but prefer to listen to Petrucci's music from I&W thru SDOIT. Erotic Cakes is a great release too. I prefer to watch Guthrie perform.

I refuse to take part in this poll, as it's pointless (and lame) to claim one to be better than the other. Both are exceptional guitarists. I can say that Govan is more versatile because he is a fusion player that encompasses many more styles.

JP for me. They can both do things the other player can't. It comes down to which styles you prefer.
Guthrie might have a little more of that wow factor these days..the guy is just ridiculous, but I feel that John can craft a really melodic and powerful lead much more effectively. His lead on The Looking Glass is a perfect example.

Technically and knowledge wise... none much better than Guthrie Govan.. besides Shawn Lane, Jason Becker, and a few others.

JP is a great guitarist, songwriter... tho tends to stay in his same formula/box when writing/playing. But he is great...and i like his solo work much more than Dream Theater stuff.

Personally, I'd rather listen to Andy Timmons, Paul Gilbert, Joe Bonamassa, Marco Sfogli, Eric Johnson... all great players in their own right and just sound much more 'musical' to my ears. Many more I could throw in there too. Cheers

Back