John Petrucci Vs Guthrie Govan?

John Petrucci Vs Guthrie Govan

• Petrucci

Votes: 38 35.8%
  • Govan

Votes: 68 64.2%

• Total voters
Tawlks":ekklxxav said:
Whom do you think is a bettter guitarrist? I don't mean whose music you prefer.

I find Guthrie alot more impressive but JP is a great songwriter as well.
What? It's impossible to measure the skills of musicians of that caliber. This will ultimately be a discussion of which music each individual prefers, not the comparison of skills you intended. That's just plain impossible.

I prefer Petrucci if we are talking about guitar alone. But when places in the context of their projects, I lean toward Govan. One is not better than the other, they are different flavors.

Spaceboy":2t2unmqt said:
Tawlks":2t2unmqt said:
Whom do you think is a bettter guitarrist? I don't mean whose music you prefer.

I find Guthrie alot more impressive but JP is a great songwriter as well.
What? It's impossible to measure the skills of musicians of that caliber. This will ultimately be a discussion of which music each individual prefers, not the comparison of skills you intended. That's just plain impossible.

I prefer Petrucci if we are talking about guitar alone. But when places in the context of their projects, I lean toward Govan. One is not better than the other, they are different flavors.

I'd be willing to bet that GG could do a better job at reproducing a JP piece, than JP would at reproducing a GG piece

RaceU4her":19dgvjz6 said:
buckethead
Definitely!

images

However, Guthrie is infinitely more technical than the fat boy JP.

Tawlks":19dgvjz6 said:
That's why I LOVE Andy Timmons. :D yeah. I meant it as a playing vote, JP wins for songs for me too. but you can't compare the two. I could compare Satch and Vai or something.
Andy Timmons sucks (typical garage band whanker)!

And no, you can't compare Satriani to Vai. Satriani isn't even in the same league as Vai. As a matter of fact, Satriani has not league!

If I could pick 3 known players that I would consider to be the greatest electric guitar players of all time, it would be Alan Holdsworth, Shawn Lane & Guthrie Govan. In my esoteric opinion, all three are/were genuine modern day virtuoso's with seemingly autistic musical ability. To them, the guitar is a real-time expressive medium. I'd sooner be comparing these players to Liszt & Paganini.

For me, Petrucci is an extremely capable, technical rock guitar player.

Of course, if the measure of a player's merit is his repertoire, then Petrucci probably has those bases covered.

Comparing guitar players is fairly futile of course. There's an infinitely wide/high spectrum of possibility with any musical instrument that you can only hope to carve a small path through in a life time.
Similarly, everyone's perception of what makes a player 'better' than another is subjective.

Rezamatix":216bswtg said:
I'll take nuno over both.

Racerxrated":216bswtg said:
I'd have to throw Kotzen in the mix as well..ridiculous player AND a good vocalist.. :rock:

Agreed. As much as I do enjoy GG and JP, overall I enjoy the music of Nuno and Kotzen more, plus they're good vocalists. I'd also have to throw Ty Tabor in the mix too. Something very impressive about someone who rips on guitar, sings, AND writes great tunes.

Black Sabbath":3mub2ucu said:
However, Guthrie is infinitely more technical than the fat boy JP.

I vote we all pitch in to buy this troll a backstage pass so he can call him "fat boy JP" to his face.

5A115B32-85E5-44BE-BEE4-11A19960259B-8247-000004F48F2B7DFE_zps27186dfb.jpg

If he rips your arms off, don't worry. You can thank Becker for the technology that will allow you to use your eye movements to continue gracing us with your presence.

I prefer to listen to Petrucci since I am more of a metal fan, but Govan is a much better all around player IMO!! On that note, I have not been into DT in quite a long time.

grooveHT":ofrpu1ez said:
Who are you people? JP can't tie Govan's shoes? Buckethead is dull, lifeless, boring, drab, mechanical, unoriginal, and very limited? All these guys are killer guitar players. What's with pissing on guys with truckloads of talent? Does that make anyone feel a lot better about themselves? I mean, got it, you like one better than the other, but let's get real here folks.

P.S. check out Buckethead's Electric Tears or Population Overdrive to get a complete different side to his boring unoriginalness.

Quoted for truth.

Dragons of Eden, Chicken Noodles, and Chicken Noodles II are also KILLER releases! Bucket, Brain, and Travis just showcasing their restraint, melody, feel and ability.

FWIW I voted JP.

Why? Much like Shawn Lane's music, GG's music doesn't inspire me at all.

While brilliant in execution, delivery, arrangement and composition, I find the performances devoid of passion and nothing is "memorable" to my musical ear. Not one thing touched my musical ear on Erotic Cakes. Same for the Aristocrat releases. All well the music written, performed, and delivered with nothing memorable to me, like shred muzak... Kenny G on guitar.

Derek

I can't believe this is even an honest poll?? Guthrie is easily a more accomplished , precise, and diverse player and beats Petrucci every way you look at it. I still prob prefer to listen to Petrucci and old DT though. That's all that really matters... who can you listen to?

Style & tone goes to Petrucci (at least his older tones), but as far as actual technical playing ability, Guthrie wipes the floor with him.

Still, I'd rather listen to DT's Images & Word or Awake, than Guthrie's Erotic Cakes or The Aristocrats.

Back