Anyone want to be a part of the PUP shootout?

I will get flamed for saying this but one of my favorite humbucker sets for a Gibson is the Bill Lawrence circuit board pickups "the original" made for Gibsons in 88 and 89! Love those!

I've got the 2nd degree blackbelt from this shootout in my Les Paul, and all I can say is WOW!!!

After trying out dozens of pickups throughout the years, I think my search is finally over. It's clear, balanced, percussive and very 3D sounding

:rock:

AmpliFIRE":35ofcjjz said:
I've got the 2nd degree blackbelt from this shootout in my Les Paul, and all I can say is WOW!!!

After trying out dozens of pickups throughout the years, I think my search is finally over. It's clear, balanced, percussive and very 3D sounding

:rock:

What's the output on that pickup????? Nice when you find the tone. I ended my search in Gibsons with the Bill Lawrence circuit board pickups, love em to death, clean to heavy.

:rock: I have been away from here from a wile, and I just found this. Thanks so much for doing this. I have been a big fan of the WCR Ironman for a couple of years now. I was actually the first one to buy the bridge with the matching neck!! I am thinking about putting that pup in my Gutierrez, and finding something else for my Ibanez. This will help a lot with that process!!!!

If you ever do an amp shoot out PM me, I have a 20 watt Peters that is killer!!!!

Ryan

GuitarGuyLP":112m1jm6 said:
:rock: I have been away from here from a wile, and I just found this. Thanks so much for doing this. I have been a big fan of the WCR Ironman for a couple of years now. I was actually the first one to buy the bridge with the matching neck!! I am thinking about putting that pup in my Gutierrez, and finding something else for my Ibanez. This will help a lot with that process!!!!

If you ever do an amp shoot out PM me, I have a 20 watt Peters that is killer!!!!

Ryan

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48500

Thanks, I love the funny pics. I have a few hundred of them on my computer such as...

lesbian-demotivational-poster-1214996526.jpg

I have been on that motifake.com page all day!!!!

I am totally stuck between the Second Degree Black Belt and the Godwood..... Price difference is like $100 for a single.

Once you understand what the differences in pickup sound really stem from, and can locate manufacturers that really know how to utilize the factors which shape that sound, you will begin to understand why there is no need to spend a lot of money on pickups. There are ~$50 pickups that perform better in every respect than those costing several times that. The same thing is true for cables, and even solid body guitars. The sound going into the first preamp stage is a result of all the combined factors before it.

Off the top of my head, I'd say Wilde and DiMarzio. Wilde are the late Bill Lawrence's designs, who designed pickups and a guitar for Framus back in the early 50's. He was also Larry DiMarzio's pickup mentor back in the early 70's, and chief engineer at Gibson Guitars, Nashville for over a decade. There is no reason to believe any of the very expensive pickups on the market are necessarily any better than something from Artech, GFS, or any of the many other inexpensive independent offerings out there -- no logical reason whatsoever. I can elaborate specifically on almost every aspect of why, but you need to understand some physical principles about how pickups and passive circuitry work, and be willing to disregard previously conceived false notions.

Can't say I have a favorite.

There's just too damned many of any and all iterations!!! Boggles the mind.

The last rabbit hole I got stuck in for 3 years was noisless.

Finally ended up with Joe Barden. Ugly.....don't look very cool, but love how they sound. Too "hi-fi" sounding to some, and extremely transparent. Clear and powerful for their size. They hide nothing. Not everyones cup of tea though.

Back