Got home early and the JVM was waiting for me...

:|::QBB:
JKD":c81d8 said:
Does the ISP do that on both battery power and wall wart?

+1, I had a horrible hum in mine when using the Red channels of OD1/2 and it was my power supply causing it. None of the rest of my amps had that problem, but the JVM did.

Santiall":d5c26 said:
are you using a power supply with the Decimator or is the rack version?

It is the pedal. I run it in front of all my amps.

I normally power it from my Boss tuner, which is in turn powered by a wart plugged into my furman powerconditioner, plugged into a surge protector, plugged into an outlet...whew!

Tried it with its own wart, battery and the way I normally run it. Had the hum no matter what!

then the last thing to check and only remaining potential problem would be the lead between the amp and the Decimator. I remember long ago someone with similar problem, blaming the ISP and at the end was the cable... give it a try with different leads.

Pull the surge protector out...the furman does that as well as the filtering.

Santiall's suggestion is right on...could be a bad cable.

SgtThump":1daff said:
I can't even imagine running the gain at noon on the red modes of OD1/OD2! That is an INSANE amount of uncontrollable distortion (in my opinion!!!!!!!!)

I can barely control my guitar when I'm using the orange modes of OD1/OD2 with the preamp gain around 10:00 o'clock!

I have to say this though, running the gain up on OD1 or OD2 in the orange mode is NOICE.

The only "thing" is when you flip to red, it's crazy-gain.

I find myself not using the crunch channel much - I like gain too much I guess - lol...

About using the gate and this is just my observations.....OD2 is tight enough to get away without one imo. That channel is very tight.

Glad you found the hum problem :thumbsup:

Santiall":b308c said:
then the last thing to check and only remaining potential problem would be the lead between the amp and the Decimator. I remember long ago someone with similar problem, blaming the ISP and at the end was the cable... give it a try with different leads.

I have tried a few different cables...all with the same results.

I hooked the amp back up to my Amp selector and the selector is adding a bit of hum too (no matter how I set the ground switches)...though not nearly as much as the decimator.

I am beginning to think this amp needs to be run stand alone (without an ABY).

However, I have to say, I really, really like the tones I am getting. OD1 gives me all the old school thrash I could ever want on orange or red and OD2 can do any type of thrash through modern metal.

I think I am gonna order a few gates from music123 to see if any of them will work with this beast. What doesn't respond well I can return.

Digital Jams":75a00 said:
About using the gate and this is just my observations.....OD2 is tight enough to get away without one imo. That channel is very tight.

Glad you found the hum problem :thumbsup:

I agree it is very tight...and straight in, there is no noise with the guitar volume off. I just kinda like dead quiet when not playing, even with the volume on. :p

mctallica1":f26d5 said:
Well I'll be go to hell :D ( My grandma says that all the time...have no real idea why, but I think it is funny)

I tried the guitar/amp/outlet routine.

NO hum...just a little bit of high gain hiss as you woudl expect with no supressor.

Started adding things in the chain to see what was causing the problem and it is the thing that I was always using in every attempt at troubleshooting....

The JVM makes a shitload of noise as soon as I connect the Decimator! :confused: :confused:

Have never had that as a problem before.

I really like a gate in front of amps because I do a lot of start/stop heavy rythms.

I guess I will buy an NS2 and try it. Any other suggestions for a gate? Maybe a MXR?

Who woulda thunk :D

FWIW, I borrowed a friend of mine's Decimator pedal and used it in front of my JVM with no issue. I was using a battery. Just wanted you to know that it is possible to use the Decimator in front of the amp. It was my first time to use one of those pedals and it was very nice. Better than my NS-2 for sure. :)

My Decimator worked fine with the JVM.

BUT, i noticed that my Decimator made some hum on my MarkIV when it was too close to the power supply section on my Furman board. PLug the Decimator back in and move it around and see if the HUM fades in and out.

Decimators and JVMs work perfectly with no issues as per many reports I got. There is nothing mysterious in the JVM input to make some pedals compatible or not so something else must be going on there to cause the hum.

The ISP's physical location as Danyeo pointed can be also an issue, try moving things around to see if it helps.

S.

I have tried the decimater with all types of power supplies and every cord I own (which is quite a few of varying lengths from a few inches to 20 feet)....as soon as I take the JVM off standby, the hum returns.

I am getting very frustrated with the amp :(

I can hear the tones I really like in there, but the troubleshooting needed right now is significantly beyond anything I have done with any of the amps I have owned in a loooong time.

Running the exact same gear in the exact same configuration is dead quiet with the VHT CL sitting right next to the JVM :confused:

Santiall":80a72 said:

hey there, yeah everything alright so far, thanks for asking and hope you and the rest of people over here are also doing well :thumbsup:

S.

Good to hear that all is well!! :thumbsup:

Im still working on paying off the credit cards so that I can get a JVM and other amps of course!! That said... this time around I will be using cash instead of credit!! :D

mctallica1":3409d said:
I have tried the decimater with all types of power supplies and every cord I own (which is quite a few of varying lengths from a few inches to 20 feet)....as soon as I take the JVM off standby, the hum returns.

I am getting very frustrated with the amp :(

I can hear the tones I really like in there, but the troubleshooting needed right now is significantly beyond anything I have done with any of the amps I have owned in a loooong time.

Running the exact same gear in the exact same configuration is dead quiet with the VHT CL sitting right next to the JVM :confused:

Quit being a wuss and figure this crap out

Of course Im kidding :LOL:

That said, Theres got to be an answer here somewhere... Not trying to add insult to injury but both SteveVHT and I used a decimator with his JVM in his studio with no problems. there has got to be a reason why this is giving you a problem!

SgtThump":24cad said:

That's what I do, Ralph. I finally paid off every single credit card we own (took years) and now only buy stuff when I have cash. It feels GREAT too!

Chris!!

I'm on my way bro and I have learned from this :D

I kept on thinking that I was 17k in the hole but I wasn't.....it was mor like 20k :eek:
I'm down to 11g's and I will be using cash from now on!!! :thumbsup:

Note to self...... Burn the CC's :hys:

Gainfreak":71d20 said:

Quit being a wuss and figure this crap out

Of course Im kidding :LOL:

That said, Theres got to be an answer here somewhere... Not trying to add insult to injury but both SteveVHT and I used a decimator with his JVM in his studio with no problems. there has got to be a reason why this is giving you a problem!

There has to be a solution, but I will be damned if anything is working.

I am usually pretty quick to find and fix any issues that are messing with my sound, but this one has me stumped.

If I plug straight into the JVM it is quiet until I turn the volume knob up on my guitar then it is just the standard noise you can get if you don't have a gate before the amp (that is the stuff I want gone and the reason I use the decimator).

No matter how I configure the decimator into the equation, I get the hum.

What I really don't understand is if there is something wrong with the pedal, why doesn't it cause any problems with my VHT?

Could there be a problem with the JVM? I don't know, but it doesn't seem like there is since I can plug straight in and not have any noise (with the guitar volume down).

So... I have 2 apparently good units that aren't working together :doh: :doh:

I am thinking of ordering a few suppressors to see if any of them will work.

Fact is, if I can get this issue worked out, I really, really like the amp...but if I can't, the frustration just ain't worth it to me.

mctallica1":ec178 said:

There has to be a solution, but I will be damned if anything is working.

I am usually pretty quick to find and fix any issues that are messing with my sound, but this one has me stumped.

If I plug straight into the JVM it is quiet until I turn the volume knob up on my guitar then it is just the standard noise you can get if you don't have a gate before the amp (that is the stuff I want gone and the reason I use the decimator).

No matter how I configure the decimator into the equation, I get the hum.

What I really don't understand is if there is something wrong with the pedal, why doesn't it cause any problems with my VHT?

Could there be a problem with the JVM? I don't know, but it doesn't seem like there is since I can plug straight in and not have any noise (with the guitar volume down).

So... I have 2 apparently good units that aren't working together :doh: :doh:

I am thinking of ordering a few suppressors to see if any of them will work.

Fact is, if I can get this issue worked out, I really, really like the amp...but if I can't, the frustration just ain't worth it to me.

This is the kind of crap that has happened to me before, So i feel your pain!! It's probably going to be solved by doing something weird like not having a battery in the unit when using the adapter or like playing the amp on a different room :D
It funny that you mentioned this because I have been having a problem with one of my boost pedals! It nake a weird noise when I use it with one cab and it doesnt do it with another. I think I know what it is but Im not sure yet!!

Back