Modal question

Thanks so much. Will check it out.. I thank you for the help sir.
Tim

webrthomson":3w0vfjme said:
ThrowBackMan":3w0vfjme said:
Where do you get these scale charts may I ask? I'd love to have some to practice.
Thanks
Tim

webrthomson":3w0vfjme said:
No bother Tim!
snip

You are welcome sir!

I make them with this:

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/

Well worth the $49, think what you spend on gear, the pro will write out scale patterns for you to learn from like those above :D

maddnotez":ewfix8ws said:
LLEADD":ewfix8ws said:
My understanding of modes is as follows.
I always forget the names and the exact theory behind but it still works.

Play an open Low E Drone.
Now play a D Major scale over it and try and land on the E notes.
That's Dorian. That's it.

Even though it's a D Major Scale you don't have to start or end with a D note.
But since it's an E Drone try also landing on the B and G notes, within your D Major scale.
Play any D Major scale shape/pattern all over neck.

If you play an A Drone, then play a G Major scale over it, that's Dorian too.
D Drone---play a C Major Scale. Etc.

Mixolydian---Play an E Drone, play an A Major scale over it, again land the notes you think sound best (I think's it's Mixo.)
---Play an A Drone, play a D Major Scale over it.

Moving along to the other modes, follow this video, it's really easy and makes sense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKbPIGnqt80

Don't worry too much over the theory yet, start with this video
and the theory will start to make sense later down the road and will also become valuable.

LLEADD":ewfix8ws said:

But since it's an E Drone try also landing on the B and G notes, within your D Major scale.

Mixolydian---Play an E Drone, play an A Major scale over it, again land the notes you think sound best (I think's it's Mixo.)

Moving along to the other modes, follow this video, it's really easy and makes sense.

and the theory will start to make sense later down the road and will also become valuable.

Ok this video REALLY helps thank you. But I still feel uneasy and have a few questions.

This makes perfect sense and is the same thing Blitz Described. I get it 100%

However what is confusing is the "theory" talk. The flat thirds and Sharp 4ths ect.

Telling me Dorian mode is the major scale with a flat third and 7th is fine but let me explain. Lets say that you are playing the major scale on the 5th fret exactly like in this video.

Why would you not just play the same exact notes on the same exact frets but only flatten the third note and the seventh note vs. Playing the same exact scale a step down?
This is why its soooo important to see things in intervals.... min 2nd, min 3rd, maj 3rd, perfect 4th....etc.

War Admiral":mjb2k7n5 said:
maddnotez":mjb2k7n5 said:
LLEADD":mjb2k7n5 said:

LLEADD":mjb2k7n5 said:

Ok this video REALLY helps thank you. But I still feel uneasy and have a few questions.

This makes perfect sense and is the same thing Blitz Described. I get it 100%

However what is confusing is the "theory" talk. The flat thirds and Sharp 4ths ect.

Telling me Dorian mode is the major scale with a flat third and 7th is fine but let me explain. Lets say that you are playing the major scale on the 5th fret exactly like in this video.

Why would you not just play the same exact notes on the same exact frets but only flatten the third note and the seventh note vs. Playing the same exact scale a step down?
This is why its soooo important to see things in intervals.... min 2nd, min 3rd, maj 3rd, perfect 4th....etc.

Makes more since that way to me.

Still need to do some testing/comparisons as shown in that video so I can understand better.

It still bothers me that A Dorian or whatever it was is the same Major scale on the 5th fret instead of the 7th but that it is ALSO the same major scale on the 5th fret with a flat third and 7 lol.

All I need to remember is play dorian over Dm7, for example. And play mixolydian over D7. Those are just two popular examples.

Rather than changing the fingering of different modes couldn't you just play the Ionian fingering and move the root to create different modes or does it not work that way? I guess the example I'm thinking of is how we can move a minor pentatonic scale down 3 positions to get the major using the exact same fingering. Does this work with the Major scale?

This confusion is why I prefer to teach modes as independent scales with unique formulas rather than relating them to their parent major scales.

Dividing the modes into major and minor tonalities and using major and minor pentatonic shapes as backbones as mentioned earlier is normally how I suggest doing it.

Don't think of D dorian as C major starting on D, think of it as a scale with the formula 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7. Which, since it's a minor mode, can more easily be thought of as D minor with a natural 6, or D minor pentatonic with a natural 2 and natural 6.

I feel it gives a better understanding of interval relationships and gives each mode its own identity so to speak without having to relate it to a major scale.

chunktone":2gxi2g0r said:
I would recommend Frank Gambale's Modes, no more mystery video. Very helpful!

This.

I have this book and it cleared up modes for me in the first sitting. You just have to find an approach that works for you.

maddnotez":mbhij7ed said:
Yea, this is why I have not learned theory and just play what I think sounds good.

So hard for me to follow this lingo. Thanks for the reply.

Me too. It is crazy confusing to me. Haha

dfrattaroli":ufmgp7h2 said:
chunktone":ufmgp7h2 said:
I would recommend Frank Gambale's Modes, no more mystery video. Very helpful!

This.

I have this book and it cleared up modes for me in the first sitting. You just have to find an approach that works for you.

Going to check this out. It is rather sad that I made this thread like 3 years ago and have not really tried to learn this stuff any more.

I had a kid and stopped playing for a while but I am getting back into it and want to learn more.

Hopefully this video helps. I do have the Guitar Grimoire and have been learning different scales from that but I really need to learn the when's why's and how's.

if you play the notes cdefgabc over or together with a cmajor u while hear the sound of ionian

if you play the notes cdefgabc over or together with a d minor u will hear the sound of dorian

if you play the notes cdefgabc over or together with a e minor u will hear the sound of phrygian

and so on and so forth

Conceptually modes are fairly straightforward but turning it all into pretty (or brootalz) music is the hard part (for me anyway). The approach that has worked best for me is the one where you start with the major/minor pentatonics and then add the other 2 notes to make each mode. And you already know one of each major/minor mode, the actual major (Ionian) and minor (Aeolian) scales. So that gives you the 'naturals' to work with.

The minor pentatonic scale tones are 1-3-4-5-7 and the minor modes (Dorian, Phrygian, Aeolian) move the 2 and 6 around. Aeolian (minor scale) is natural, Dorian is sharp 6th, Phrygian is flatted 2nd.

The major pentatonic scale tones are 1-2-3-5-6 and the major modes (Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian) move the 4 and 7 around. Ionian (major scale) is natural, Lydian is sharp 4th, Mixolydian is flatted 7th.

Locrian is fubar and is it's own thing. :D

This was all mentioned above but sometimes seeing written a slightly different way makes a difference.

better yet

Maj = 1357 its resolved colors 2 , 6 , unresolved color 4 ( tension over major ) sharp or flat the colors and that will determine what mode you are in

repeat for minor chords and dominant why all the fuus about the locrian mode a minor 7b5 is also a dom9 btw you can use any of these minor modes including the locrian as altered dominant scales just control the half steps

then use the colors to set up chord and key changes

now im sure you are all saying wtf

bartzzz":2ilpl1yr said:
There's a lot of noise around the modes but it really isn't that complex. They should have been called moods because each mode creates a different mood but it's

MINOR
dorian sounds minor
phrygian sounds minor

MAJOR
lydian sounds major
mixolydian sounds major

practical uses:

DORIAN - go down a tone and play major
you're playing in an A minor/blues kinda thing, or you're playing Santana, Evil Ways, easy, just muck around in G major- but try end on A

PHRYGIAN - go down 2 tones and play major
You're rocking out in E minor pentatonic and you want to get mysterious, easy just start mucking around in C major - but try to end on E

LYDIAN - go up a 5th and play that major scale
You're jamming out in E major and you want to get a little Satrianiesque, just start mucking around in B major - but try to end on E

MIXOLYDIAN - go up a 4th and play that major scale
You're vamping on a G7 chord like a funky groove. Start mucking around in C major. Instant mixo! - but try to end on G

This is a great, straightforward explanation! Cheers.

Back