V30's vs K100's

rickenbacker198

I've never had the chance to try k100's.
For the Diezel Amps
How k100's do they compare & contrast with the standard v30s?

I've been rockin G12-K100s for about 6-7 years in a closed back 2x12 and absolutely love em. As stated already they have a more even frequency response. They handle low end like a fuckin champ!

I had an pair of V30s in another cab and they were the made in England V30s before production went to China, not saying the Chinese made V30s are bad, and they were awesome as well.

Compared to the G12K-100s the V30s of course had a mid peak that was pretty sweet if you like mids, I do :D , but they couldn't handle low end chugin and palm mutes anywhere near as well as the G12K-100s do.

I want to get another V30 and run it paired with the G12K-100 :thumbsup:

I guess my point is both rock, but G12K-100s can handle all the bass and chug you care to throw at them and still remain TIGHT!

I might add that I recently got rid of a Diezel Herbert and for the amount of subsonic low end mayhem that the Herbert produces the G12K-100s were the perfect match! They could handle every ounce of low end that amp could muster from the bass and depth knob and still not fart out!

Personally, I've been using a FULL stack where the bottom 4X12 has V30's and the top 4X12 has K100's. Totally LOVE to combo. As was mentioned, the K100's stay tighter and have a more modern feel. The V30's add the mid-hump and has a more familiar "classic" feel and tone.
Together they provide the best of both worlds, IMO
Of course, YMMV

G12K100 are awesome cones. Very neutral and powerful. They "hold" like none other IMHO. From thunder to sweet highs - incredible.
V30 offer bite. They're not neutral in my experience. They add an element of cut in live settings, definitely a mid-bump when recorded.

For transparency - G12K100
For live settings and cut - V30

Unkle Mo

I used to use k100 for some time but went back to v30s. In the end it does not really matter, as long as you do not play sevenstring metal. Then I'd use k100s.

rickenbacker198":3r533j8h said:
I've never had the chance to try k100's.
For the Diezel Amps
How k100's do they compare & contrast with the standard v30s?
Unless your using them for a Saxophone or a Trombone . . .

vintage30_zoom1.png

clark81":1c7xqccc said:
Take a look here my friend
K-100 sounds more hifi than9 V30, . . .
Just for the record (no pun intended) vinyl "hi (high) fi (fidelity)" dropped of the cliff many years ago where we now have "wi (wireless) fi (fidelity)".

I much prefer the V30, and the Mesa version at that. I do have a couple Diezel cabs with the X pattern of 100's and V30's, but my experience has been that V30's handle low end much better than the K100. For one the magnet is bigger on a V30. But, my K100's may be hurt, IDK. I will say when I bought my first german made Diezel cab from a member here ( I won't list any names) the wiring was completely screwed up and the speakers were all out of phase. Even after I fixed the wiring, the 4 K100's farted out fairly easy with low tuning.

Thanks for all the info guys, lots of different experiences and tastes.

Do the k100's sound more open than the v30's?
V30's being a more congested sounding speaker?

RJF":368yogne said:
I much prefer the V30, and the Mesa version at that. I do have a couple Diezel cabs with the X pattern of 100's and V30's, but my experience has been that V30's handle low end much better than the K100. For one the magnet is bigger on a V30. But, my K100's may be hurt, IDK. I will say when I bought my first german made Diezel cab from a member here ( I won't list any names) the wiring was completely screwed up and the speakers were all out of phase. Even after I fixed the wiring, the 4 K100's farted out fairly easy with low tuning.

You sure you didn't mean it the other way around?

If your K100s are farting out before the V30s, or farting out at all period, man there's something wrong with em bro!

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't G12K-100 magnets way bigger than that of a Vintage 30 magnet?

Vin Diezel":2nenxamu said:
You're right. K100 have more power, more low end, more clarity and the magnet is the biggest from Celestion.

That's the way I perceive it.

I no longer have V30s to visually compare here but yeah it was my understanding as well that G12K-100s offered the largest magnet of all Celestions.

I've been playing through G12K-100s for the last 6-7 years and have played tons of amps through my closed back 2x12 and have yet to get them to flub on the low end. I even maxed the bass and deep knob on the Herbert I had just to see how low they could go and there was 0 farting out. That was at pretty low volumes though, but still...

Not to derail the thread here, but how do you like or did you like that Lil Fokker Vin D.?

I mean it does not change the sound in any way. You cannot even tell if you use the loop or not.
The 6505 loop causes a little bit of volume and treble loss.

Back