Tubes for Herbert

IntenseSH

Hey guys, I need a bit of help with my Herbert (mark I, 2009). I was experiencing some sudden volume drops and the sound wasn't as good as before. I suspected the power tubes since they're now about 5 years old. Then I found out that also one of the pre-amp tubes has cracked. Ideally I would've sent the amp to a tech but I'm in Taiwan and techs are nowhere to be found. So I ordered the Shuguang tube set with 6L6's for the Herbert. Now, I'm a noob at this and this is probably a very stupid question, but the set has 14 tubes. I counted 6 power tubes and 6 pre-amp tubes, where do the other 2 tubes go?
Also, I casually measured the bias with me newly acquired meter and the current E34's are biased at about 48mA. Isn't that a bit low?

Any help welcome, thanks!

So these are the tubes that are included in the Shuguang tube set:
IMG_3703_zpsz5j9lavy.jpg
[/URL]

This list of tubes is not correct.
If you want 6L6's in the power section ..

It should be
6 x 6L6 (power tubes)
6 x 12ax7 (preamp tubes)

IntenseSH":xummfjhw said:
So these are the tubes that are included in the Shuguang tube set:
IMG_3703_zpsz5j9lavy.jpg
[/URL]

This is what they sent you???

That is a random mix. Half of them are power.tubes and singles at that. Wtf.

Herb had 6 power 6l6/kt77 and six 12ax7

I have ordered the set but haven't received it set. Found other tube Herbert tube sets at Rototube and they all seem to have the same kind of tubes:

Anybody know how this works?

This is all nonsense. Our current stock tubes:

6 x KT77-JJ power tubes
1 x 12AX7B-C Highgrade or Mullard Reissue CV4004 for V1
5 x 12AX7B-C for V2, V3, V4, V5, V6.

Hi Peter, this is all rather confusing.... guess i could replace the current Ruby E34's with the Shuguang 6L6's? Will the Shuguang 12AX7-SG work in V4? The current one in V4 has cracked and needs to be replaced.

Thanks Peter. Just one last question, what is the difference between a balanced 12AX7B for the phase inverter and a normal 12AX7B? Are they interchangeable?

Guys, i live in Holland. Any shops you found in the EU where i can find the V1 12AX7B-C Highgrade?
I found a shop that has a GT 12AX7-C , would this be ok in the V1?

well i found a dutch shop with a Shuguang 12AX7B/ ECC83 HIGH GAIN premp tube for the V1 and
Shuguang 12AX7B/ ECC83 (not high grade)for the others.

I think this should be ok :confused:

Peter mailed me and i orderd:
V1 Mullard 12AX7 / CV4004
V2 Shuguang 12AX7B/ ECC83 HIGH GAIN
V3/V6 Shuguang 12AX7B/ ECC83

Soon ill order 3 sets of KT77

Thanks for all the help guys

Back